Using Max 4 Live "effects without owning M4L?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ejectorset

Using Max 4 Live "effects without owning M4L?

Post by ejectorset » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:44 am

Max/MSP has always provided the option of using people's creations with the Max runtime without owning Max/MSP.

Is this still the case with Max 4 live?

I own Live 8.1.1 (standalone not suite), but I can not figure out what I need to do. I don't have a max audio effect folder in my ableton library. I do have an expired Max 5 trial on my computer and the Max 5 runtime installed.

Is this possible?

Also, is it possible in such a way that I can still use Live which I own in standalone mode so saving and exporting are enabled instead of Suite demo mode which locks me out of a product I do own.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

djsynchro

Re: Using Max 4 Live "effects without owning M4L?

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:39 am

yo wanna play you godda pay, so nay

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:49 am

you can use the m4l devices in live's demo mode without owning m4l. you need to install max and then find and install the m4l-livepack that is located in the max application folder.

max comes with a one month trial period, when that's over then you can't open the devices with the edit button anymore. but you can still use the devices in live.

you have to go into the preferences, and in the licenses tab there is an option for "show demo options after startup" (or so). when enabled you get the option of running the live8 suite-demo. that includes m4l.
Last edited by pepezabala on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:49 am

Really?

If I launch my Live 8 that I paid for in Live 8 Suite Demo mode all of the sudden Max Audio Effect shows up in the device browser and in my filesystem, I can copy people's M4L devices in there and use them.

I can't edit their M4L patches, which makes sense, I don't own M4L. I also can't save my work though, which doesn't make sense as I do own Live 8.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 am

pepezabala wrote:you can use the m4l devices in live's demo mode without owning m4l. you need to install max and then find and install the m4l-livepack that is located in the max application folder.

max comes with a one month trial period, when that's over then you can't open the devices with the edit button anymore. but you can still use the devices in live.
Are you sure, my Max 5.1 trial has already expired and I don't see the Max Audio Effect in my Live 8 Library except for while I run Live 8 Suite Demo mode. Then it shows up, but goes away once I run Live 8 Standalone the next time.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:56 am

ejectorset wrote:Really?

If I launch my Live 8 that I paid for in Live 8 Suite Demo mode all of the sudden Max Audio Effect shows up in the device browser and in my filesystem, I can copy people's M4L devices in there and use them.

I can't edit their M4L patches, which makes sense, I don't own M4L. I also can't save my work though, which doesn't make sense as I do own Live 8.
thats how live works, if you're demo'ing one thing then you can't save anything. All of live goes into Demo mode when you start using something you don't own.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:58 am

That is very misleading then as M4L is not part of Live 8 Suite:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/shop/more_ ... to_cart_ri

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10 am

ejectorset wrote:That is very misleading then as M4L is not part of Live 8 Suite:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/shop/more_ ... to_cart_ri
but it is a product sold by ableton and that is how they handle their demo's, if you demo one thing you can't save anything. Might not be what you like but it's been that way for ages.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:47 am

I know that is how their demo process works, I mean it is deceptive. M4L is not part of Suite, there should be a choice of demo-ing M4L specifically, like you could with Sampler and Operator when they were introduced.

I already upgraded from 6 to 8 for Live Share and the ability to use people's community M4L creations based on the videos for M4L and Share (that are still up today, I rewatched them tonight to be sure I didn't mis-hear something). Share is still beta and just got scrapped for a new beta and using M4L patches created by the community, shared through share isn't possible.

luzil

Post by luzil » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:55 am

ejectorset wrote:Share is still beta and just got scrapped for a new beta and using M4L patches created by the community, shared through share isn't possible.
So currently no way to export a own m4l and a friend can import? Im a little confused. Dont own m4l, but think about it. How will this setted up in future. U can export a self constructed m4l device and upload anywhere, share sites, special share server of ableton with only access over live gui like sharing set function? Or do i have just to copy m4l devices in a max folder as it is with reaktor afaik?

Are there already bigger m4l sharing sites if so?

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:58 am

ejectorset wrote:I know that is how their demo process works, I mean it is deceptive. M4L is not part of Suite, there should be a choice of demo-ing M4L specifically, like you could with Sampler and Operator when they were introduced.
and you can. do you need to save to see it worked before saving?
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:40 pm

ejectorset wrote:I know that is how their demo process works, I mean it is deceptive. M4L is not part of Suite, there should be a choice of demo-ing M4L specifically, like you could with Sampler and Operator when they were introduced.

I already upgraded from 6 to 8 for Live Share and the ability to use people's community M4L creations based on the videos for M4L and Share (that are still up today, I rewatched them tonight to be sure I didn't mis-hear something). Share is still beta and just got scrapped for a new beta and using M4L patches created by the community, shared through share isn't possible.

That's a bit strange, yes, you have to go into the suite-demo-mode in order to demo m4l. there is no specific m4l-demo mode. Maybe they should rename the existing button to "Demo mode for all instruments you don't own. Saving and exporting disabled"

But still, you can demo everything. You could possibly make a your live-set with live 8 only and then perform live in demo mode using all the nice m4l-patches to show off. You can go into demo mode and route audio out of live and record everything you do with those patches. Without paying a cent. Meaning that you can use it as an instrument, for free. It's like getting a Steinway-Piano for free, but the company doesn't give you notation-sheets, so you only can play, but you can't fix your compositions. Isn't that something already?

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:55 pm

it's enough to demo.. which is, what it's all about, not? :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Guys the official M4L demo is coming with 8.1.2.
Unsound Designer

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 pm

davepermen wrote:
and you can. do you need to save to see it worked before saving?
I know Max for live works, that isn't the point. I will buy max for live as soon as I have the extra money. Also, not the point. There are some monome specific max for live devices that people have worked on and shared with the idea that it will make things easier for everyone that has struggled to use their monome alongside ableton for the last couple of years. I am locked out from using these. I am pretty sure the people developing these are under the impression anyone with live 8 can use them.

According to the max for live video on ableton.com, near the end after the fade out the max for live logo non-developers will be able to use anyone's max for live effect creations shared through share. This has always been the max way. There was a runtime so if you didn't develop patches, but wanted to use them, you could. You couldn't edit the patch itself, but you could use it to make music. Some people's patches allowed you to save your work, others are more experimental and generative. As an exercise in learning Max I updated and released a max patch for use with the runtime a few years ago that gives you step sequencer/lfo's that send midi of IAC busses. I made this just for use with live. Anyone that owns live can use it with the free Max/MSP runtime, wether or not they own Max.