Ableton Live 8 - Apple Network MIDI - Arkao Grand VJ

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
steve-o

Ableton Live 8 - Apple Network MIDI - Arkao Grand VJ

Post by steve-o » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:15 am

Hey everyone,

I had to admit defeat trouble shooting a problem today, and I'm hoping that somebody here might be able to help me figure it out.

THE GEAR

1 X latest unibody model MBP
1 X coreduo MBP (one of the first models)
1 X APC 40
1X Korg Nanokontrol

BACKGROUND

Last week I was able to set up an APC 40 to simoultaneously launch clips in live and launch videos in Arkaos grand VJ, and to set up a Korg NanoKontrol to simmoultaneously modulate audio effects in ableton and video effecgts in grandvj via Apple's Network midi. The Unibody was the "master" and the oldmodel MBP the "slave" - i.e. all midi controllers were connected to the unibody, and the midi data was sent via ethernet to the old model MBP running grandvj.

Ableton ran on the unibody MBP, Grandvj on the old-model MBP. The unibody MBP was running 10.5.6; the unibody, 10.5.8.

THE PROBLEM

For the life of me I cannot reproduce the set up on the two computers to do the same thing described above. 90% of the time, the old model MBP does not receive any midi data sent using any controllers. However, SOMETIMES the old model MBP receives midi data, but only from one controller.

A SOLUTION?

If anybody has any experieince integrating Ableton and grandvj in their av setup (and has any time), I would truly appreciate some help in figuring out what is going on. In particular, I'm trying to understand Apple Network midi, and if there are any alternative solutions to network midi that I can try before tomorrows gig.

Thanks!

3phase

Re: Ableton Live 8 - Apple Network MIDI - Arkao Grand VJ

Post by 3phase » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:45 pm

apples network midi dont works well with live.. i cant say if it works well with any software..havent tryed it..

but apple wouldnt have implemented it when it wouldnt work at least with theier inhouse software..maybe you can try logic instead?

or go on external midi interfaces.. the y might be slower but usualy you will have better evenet timing than network midi nevertheless
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Dont waste your time, do it via midi interface, you want reliable solution dont you?
I dont think it is Live problem, Arkaos midi is not reliable at all. Do it with IAC on same machine (never rewire which with Arkaos is hit and miss)) or use 2 machines- definitely better idea, with ext midi interface.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. We're going with the midi interface, experiencing some weird midi feedback issues with live which we have kind of figured out. I'll keep you posted.