Live in Apple Powerbook slow?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
3phase

Live in Apple Powerbook slow?

Post by 3phase » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:03 pm

I wondered if the slow working speed of Live 4 is related to my laptop or to Live 4 in general...

with 2 audio and 2 midi tracks running it takes 2-5 seconds to move the start marker on a midiclip...

I wonder if others experiance the same slow behaviour?

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:12 pm

how about some specs on your laptop?

k

sgingras

Post by sgingras » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:53 pm

Are you running CPU intensive VSTi's in the Midi tracks? do you have lots of effects piled on?

jasefos

Re: Live in Apple Powerbook slow?

Post by jasefos » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:14 am

3phase wrote:I wondered if the slow working speed of Live 4 is related to my laptop or to Live 4 in general...

with 2 audio and 2 midi tracks running it takes 2-5 seconds to move the start marker on a midiclip...

I wonder if others experiance the same slow behaviour?

Assuming you're on MacOSX ... which MacOSX version ?

If on MacOSX ensure you have set the Energy Saving setting for Process Performance to "Highest" (head to Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options -> Processor Performance ....)

At the time of writing most Macintosh Powerbooks are supplied with only 4200rpm hard drives thus, in almost all cases, Powerbook users need to attach an external Firewire400/800 or USB2.0 connected external hard drive with a rotation speed of 7200rpm with a large onboard cache (e.g. 8Mb) to achieve decent track counts.

Try increasing the Core Audio buffer size in Live's Preferences settings as well - recommend starting with 256 samples and increasing this **maybe** to 512 or 1024 if you're still getting poor performance with your system.

Cheers

jasefos.
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:19 pm

A 1 ghz 1 giga ram titanium. osx 10.38 no plug ins...just 2 audio loops and two midi loops...
Result in a system too slow to have fun working with...at least regarding midi operations on a running sequencer or arrangement functions...

changing of the startmarker of a midiclip between 2 and 5 seconds !
duplicating time in the arrange around 2 seconds...

Audio hardware is a RME multiface.. midiinterface mt4/emagic

vince watson

Post by vince watson » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:53 am

3phase wrote:A 1 ghz 1 giga ram titanium. osx 10.38 no plug ins...just 2 audio loops and two midi loops...
Result in a system too slow to have fun working with...at least regarding midi operations on a running sequencer or arrangement functions...

im on a 1.5ghz 2gb of ram and the rme mulitface...never had anything like this i must say....im at 3 and 4 ms all the time.

one thing we differ on is osx..im on 3.7...i heard too many problems from other poeple on certain setups so i thought 'why upgrade to 3.8 when my system works?'...so i didnt....

wish i could help you out but im not sure where your issues are.....its certainly not the multiface...unless its faulty..

goodluck
Macbook Pro (Early2011) 17" Antiglare Hi Res 2.2, 8gb Ram, RME Multiface Expresscard, Ableton 7.18, Ableton 8.2.1, Snow Leopard 10.6.8

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:30 pm

hmmm....your machine is not that much faster to explain such a difference...
What is wrong???

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:54 pm

3phase wrote:A 1 ghz 1 giga ram titanium. osx 10.38 no plug ins...just 2 audio loops and two midi loops...

Can we make sure your RME PCMCIA card is flashed for your powerbook.
There is a special downloas @RME.
I think it was fut-something.

If you did not do this, please do so.

If it's the midi your having trouble with,
i doubt with the emagic's drivers which doesn't exist anymore.
plz make a back up.

If audio-wise, as you can read my signature, plz follow the direction I had posted and I'm sure you'll be all right.
You do not have to do all the repairing permissions if you do not wish to.

You have exactly the same setup with me.
1.5 and multiface.

If you have an EXT HDD, backup your whole OSX to it using the Disc 1's
disk utilitly>Restore.
You can always bring that baby back if you need to.
And plz do the fresh install on your mac's hdd.
But don't RUSH.

PLZ do exactly what the direction tells you.
And if you still have trouble,
I would doubt with the machine's ram or the logic board.

1.5 is not slow both on Live4 and Logic7.
I'm using 10 track, audio and midi, on 88 samples.
(little clicks sometimes, though)
Very Fast.
Good luck

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:06 pm

3phase wrote:
Can we make sure your RME PCMCIA card is flashed for your powerbook.
There is a special downloas @RME.
I think it was fut-something.

Yes this is absolutely vital.

RME created a special Firmware update specifically for Al Powerbooks and PCMCIA Hammerfall cards. You'll experience all manner of weirdness without this Firmware update.

WARNING: The Firmware update needs to be treated with caution. Do not interrupt the process. If the Firmware update fails (e.g. error messages result) try it again and again until it does actually take. Most importantly if the Firmware update is incomplete you must not power your system off (it is once the PCMCIA card no longer has power that the Firmware update will be permanent). Powering down with an incomplete Firmware update will render the card useless (you'll need to return it to your local RME distibutor for further assistance).
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS