Annoyed by this stupid software

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
timothyallan

Re: Annoyed by this stupid software

Post by timothyallan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:59 am

If you are going to use computers and software as the basis for making your music, don't you think you should figure out how they work first?

Just sayin, it really isn't that hard to work out tech problems if you take it step by step.

julienb

Post by julienb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 am

timothyallan wrote:If you are going to use computers and software as the basis for making your music, don't you think you should figure out how they work first?

Just sayin, it really isn't that hard to work out tech problems if you take it step by step.
+1

for those who read all this thread, I have to say :
NO, Live isn't bad! it is VERY reliable!
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:26 am

gerard wrote:No I didn't send anything to tech support or whoever as I don't have nor time nor lust for geek talk
gerard wrote:If you think that I'll spend my time reporting about how Live randomly crashes when I... dream on.
gerard wrote:I'm also used to the fact that if I pay for a guitar that costs me as much money I will have a product that works, meaning it does what it is supposed to be. And if it breaks due to an error I get a replacement, not a fix to a fix to a fix.
The above quotes are the root of your problem I think. If YOU don't want to take the time to contact tech support and report YOUR issues, then why should anyone else care about them? What you are saying here is "I've got loads of issues and I'm annoyed by them, but I can't be bothered to do anything myself about it - I want someone else to sort out my life."

I know you don't live in the UK, but you'd fit right in with the 'dependency and whinge' culture we've been nuturing over here for the past 15 years.

Also, reporting bugs etc to tech support is important for the COMMUNITY that uses the software so that the developers can eradicate problems for EVERYONE.

You clearly use other software - I'd be surprised if you haven't come across issues with programmes/plug-ins before. You mention Guitar Rig, which I had no end of issues with a couple of years back. Did I moan? Yes, but I also kept contacting NI support. The problem eventually got resolved when I bought a new computer...

Bugs/compatibility issues are an unfortunate part of using software, and not just 'music' software. Like you say, I would expect a guitar to work out-of-the-box... but then a guitar is a slightly less complex device than the combination of computer, software, controllers, audio interface etc. And they've had 50 odd years to get guitars right! If you want the working hardware guarantee, get a digital recorder and some stomp boxes.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:57 am

stringtapper wrote:
SubFunk wrote:EDIT: what's the problem with rants anyway...? if you think it's stupid to do,
well fair enough but then be so intelligent to simply totally ignore it as well.
You talking to me? I never said anything about rants being "stupid." Show me where I said that. or is this another language thing? Auf Deutsch bitte?
not addressing anyone directly here... just saying in general and that does not account only to 'rants' if someone feels it's 'worthless' or 'stupid' or whatever really... a very, very simple solution is to ignore.

that's all.

btw, it amazes me how often people feel directly 'talked to' even they are not properly addressed :roll:
what is that supposed to mean?

another example...
what i mean is how and why can people respond to that again... http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 43&start=0
it just makes me wonder... and could be easily solved by ignoring... or is it that much fun...!? if so, then no complains.
*** Image GAFM ***

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:15 am

I agree.
Ball Sack wrote:Guy is entitled to say what he wants.
Post would have disappeared if know one had of replied to it.

gerard

Post by gerard » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:50 am

Leon Tricker wrote:
The above quotes are the root of your problem I think. If YOU don't want to take the time to contact tech support and report YOUR issues, then why should anyone else care about them? What you are saying here is "I've got loads of issues and I'm annoyed by them, but I can't be bothered to do anything myself about it - I want someone else to sort out my life."

I know you don't live in the UK, but you'd fit right in with the 'dependency and whinge' culture we've been nuturing over here for the past 15 years.

Also, reporting bugs etc to tech support is important for the COMMUNITY that uses the software so that the developers can eradicate problems for EVERYONE.

You clearly use other software - I'd be surprised if you haven't come across issues with programmes/plug-ins before. You mention Guitar Rig, which I had no end of issues with a couple of years back. Did I moan? Yes, but I also kept contacting NI support. The problem eventually got resolved when I bought a new computer...

Bugs/compatibility issues are an unfortunate part of using software, and not just 'music' software. Like you say, I would expect a guitar to work out-of-the-box... but then a guitar is a slightly less complex device than the combination of computer, software, controllers, audio interface etc. And they've had 50 odd years to get guitars right! If you want the working hardware guarantee, get a digital recorder and some stomp boxes.
The fact that I don't feel like sending more than at least 30 reports to Ableton and discussing everything with them in back and forward mails is my business (fault).
I said that my analogy is not accurate to compare the two. Hello?? Did you read everything or just what fueled your fire?

I never asked for all the fanboy responses here, it's your system, you're a noob, they're better than you and now you are deducing that "I want somebody else to sort out my life" based on this thread.

I find it quite pathetic that many here feel this urge to stand up in every thread that attacks their favorite corporate company, because they love it so much. You just can't stand it, do you? There must be something wrong with this terrible person who says this terrible things. Get a life, make some music.

Let me blow off some steam if I feel the need to ( I like the software otherwise I couldn't be annoyed by it). Anyways I'm not going anywhere, I'm going to patiently wait that they iron out whatever's wrong. They always do. But Live 9, if ever, I'll only buy it before 10 comes, so that I have the final stable version.
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:52 pm

I wasn't going to bite, but what the hell... I have a spare five minutes... :D
gerard wrote:The fact that I don't feel like sending more than at least 30 reports to Ableton and discussing everything with them in back and forward mails is my business (fault).
It WAS your business until you made it everyone else's business by posting on a public forum.
gerard wrote:I said that my analogy is not accurate to compare the two.

As you've admitted it was a poor analogy to use, why are you surprised at being criticised?
gerard wrote:Hello?? Did you read everything or just what fueled your fire?
I tend not to read everything: I find that being in possesion of all the facts affects my ability to present a distorted version of reality. I prefer to sound off about things randomly and expect that a solution will appear without me intervening... (heavy sarcasm :!:)
gerard wrote:I never asked for all the fanboy responses here, it's your system, you're a noob, they're better than you and now you are deducing that "I want somebody else to sort out my life" based on this thread.
If you don't want a response, don't post on a public forum.
gerard wrote:I find it quite pathetic that many here feel this urge to stand up in every thread that attacks their favorite corporate company, because they love it so much. You just can't stand it, do you? There must be something wrong with this terrible person who says this terrible things.
You are right that people on this forum are generally defensive of Ableton. For my part, that's because when I've had a problem, I have contacted support and they've been about a 1000 times more helpful than any other software company. You wouldn't understand that because you refuse to engage with them, which I find pathetic.

As it happens, I don't always agree with Ableton and have criticised them in the past. See:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 8&start=60

Funnilly enough, when I contacted support they clarified things for me.
gerard wrote:Get a life, make some music.
I have and do. My wife would prefer I spend less time on music though. See signature below for links to music, although I also collaborate with others. Human interaction - I can highly recommend it.
gerard wrote:Let me blow off some steam if I feel the need to ( I like the software otherwise I couldn't be annoyed by it).
Seeings you've asked nicely, I will allow it. But only if you will allow me, as this is a public forum (there's a theme developing here methinks...) to argue an alternative position.
gerard wrote:Anyways I'm not going anywhere
I'm so pleased.
gerard wrote:I'm going to patiently wait that they iron out whatever's wrong.
Really? You aren't even tempted a little bit to spend the time you are posting here to contact support and maybe sort out your problems sooner?
gerard wrote:They always do. But Live 9, if ever, I'll only buy it before 10 comes, so that I have the final stable version.
Really? Beacuse I am sure you said earlier...
gerard wrote:I won't buy any update anymore or anything by Ableton because it's a loss of money. Fuck this, delete my account I don't care.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:47 pm

gerard wrote:Annoyed by this stupid software
you should have titled it "annoyed by this stupid business policy" or something like that.

it's not the software that is stupid, it's the business plan.

It's a real present problem that software companies do not wait and test enough their stuff before releasing it.

If you wanna update, wait just before the n+1 release (as you said, live 8 will be approx 100%-ok when they'll release a totally still-bugged, prematurate un-reliable live 9 and $$$ upgrade.)

I wont debate on the present discussion,

but I understand your point when you say that when we BUY a FINISHED and ADVERTISED product, it has to WORK as advertised.

If live 8 needed to grow and grow from 8.01 to 8.1 to fix the bugs, they just should have waited before releasing the buggy initial one.

yes any compagny would need more good beta testing teams, and occasionnal bug fixes are ineluctable in every software.

I understand the fact that having to pass times and times trying to troubleshoot and sending emails to the company to explain what is the problem (if it's possible to precise), using a $$$ brand new released flagship software, is totally putting on the nerves.

can't anyone understand that?

I don't have this real problem, but I totally understand.

---

Now,

I also totally understand that you could at least have tried to contact ableton once, and that saying in this forums that you never contacted them is a kind of "kill me please" sentence :wink:

why don't you re-install live 7 or 8 ???

cheers

ps:

I don't particularly charge Ableton with it's "stupid business plan", lots of other software and hardware companies do this (I once bought the first virus Ti, OS 1.0.1beta, and even with this hardware piece of gear, I had to wait more than one year, approx 10 updates, to get a (still-not-but-at-least-useable) properly working OS )

no $$$ to pay professionnal beta-testers? customers ARE the real beta testers, and they PAY for it!

Anyone to find this NATURAL, PLEASANT, LOGICAL?

when I'll buy a guitar, if there is a technical problem on it, the seller will replace it with a 100%OK one. I won't have to deal with online technical discussions on "how to fix this fret misplacement". Because the problem will occur only in the one I have bought. If it is a serial production problem, I'm pretty sure they don't sell it (or if they do, it's crappy made in china cheap plastic guitars, and nobody gives a shit about their quality).

my 2 (euro)cents

gerard

Post by gerard » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Leon Tricker wrote:It WAS your business until you made it everyone else's business by posting on a public forum.
SubFunk wrote: btw, it amazes me how often people feel directly 'talked to' even they are not properly addressed :roll:
Leon Tricker wrote:As you've admitted it was a poor analogy to use, why are you surprised at being criticised?
Cause I hoped people would take it with a grain of salt.
Leon Tricker wrote: I tend not to read everything: I find that being in possesion of all the facts affects my ability to present a distorted version of reality.
Like this?
Leon Tricker wrote: If you don't want a response, don't post on a public forum.
SubFunk wrote: btw, it amazes me how often people feel directly 'talked to' even they are not properly addressed :roll:
I didn't formulate any question in my initial thread. I only made statements.
Leon Tricker wrote: You are right that people on this forum are generally defensive of Ableton. For my part, that's because when I've had a problem, I have contacted support and they've been about a 1000 times more helpful than any other software company. You wouldn't understand that because you refuse to engage with them, which I find pathetic.
monstrejumo wrote:no $$$ to pay professionnal beta-testers? customers ARE the real beta testers, and they PAY for it!
Anyone to find this NATURAL, PLEASANT, LOGICAL?
I had some little system problems in the past that I resolved with Tech support. But I won't do their beta work for them.
Leon Tricker wrote: I have and do. My wife would prefer I spend less time on music though.
Leon Tricker wrote: I'm so pleased.
I hope it doesn't bother you that I quote you to answer you.
Leon Tricker wrote: although I also collaborate with others.
Me too, in a band. Making music, not software.
Leon Tricker wrote: Seeings you've asked nicely, I will allow it. But only if you will allow me, as this is a public forum (there's a theme developing here methinks...) to argue an alternative position.
Leon Tricker wrote: (there's a theme developing here methinks...)
Leon Tricker wrote: Really? Beacuse I am sure you said earlier...
What? Ah, you forgot because you don't read everything clearly to distort things, right.
It's called anger. It's not because you fight with your girl that you're gonna throw her away.
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:58 pm

gerard wrote:
Leon Tricker wrote:I tend not to read everything: I find that being in possesion of all the facts affects my ability to present a distorted version of reality.
Like this?
gerard wrote:What? Ah, you forgot because you don't read everything clearly to distort things, right.

If you are going to quote me, do it properly:
Leon Tricker wrote: I tend not to read everything: I find that being in possesion of all the facts affects my ability to present a distorted version of reality. I prefer to sound off about things randomly and expect that a solution will appear without me intervening... (heavy sarcasm :!:)
In case you missed the 'heavy sarcasm', that was a parody of your original statements. I personally try to be rational in my criticism, you are irrational in my humble view.
gerard wrote:Cause I hoped people would take it with a grain of salt.
Why would you expect they would? Your statements were devoid of any irony.

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:03 pm

Can the Leon Tricker vs gerard fight move over to pay per view..... i won't be paying.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Jeepers. Are you guys angling for some passionate make up sex afterwards ;)

Get a room. :lol:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

gerard

Post by gerard » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Leon Tricker wrote:
gerard wrote:
Leon Tricker wrote:I tend not to read everything: I find that being in possesion of all the facts affects my ability to present a distorted version of reality.
Like this?
gerard wrote:What? Ah, you forgot because you don't read everything clearly to distort things, right.

If you are going to quote me, do it properly:
Leon Tricker wrote: I tend not to read everything: I find that being in possesion of all the facts affects my ability to present a distorted version of reality. I prefer to sound off about things randomly and expect that a solution will appear without me intervening... (heavy sarcasm :!:)
In case you missed the 'heavy sarcasm', that was a parody of your original statements. I personally try to be rational in my criticism, you are irrational in my humble view.
Well sadly you missed the irony in my two comments you just quoted.
gerard wrote:Cause I hoped people would take it with a grain of salt.
Leon Tricker wrote:Why would you expect they would? Your statements were devoid of any irony.
It didn't know that saying "my analogy sucks" needed additional irony to make it clear.
Last edited by gerard on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:11 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Jeepers. Are you guys angling for some passionate make up sex afterwards ;)
A heavy session expected there i think

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:48 pm

Gerard

Stop trying to back track and pretend you meant something other than what you originally intended! Have the courage of your convictions!

Now, get that little black dress on and meet me in the usual place... :D
leedsquietman wrote:Jeepers. Are you guys angling for some passionate make up sex afterwards ;)

Get a room. :lol:
Nah... I reckon he would make a selfish lover. He'd probably be annoyed by my stupid 'hardware' :D