There will never be another legacy artist

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
davepermen

Re: There will never be another legacy artist

Post by davepermen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:22 pm

no, but the chance is high that there is at least SOME creativity in parts of it :) i, for example, don't see much creativity in the whole rock genre. i grew up with it, and grew.. over it.. :) but a lot will disagree, and i disagree myself, too. i KNOW there's lots of creativity in there. it's just, i don't see it anymore really.

and besides that, music is mostly about following genre rules :) i know, that's against all the creativity-rules things, but it's still true. you can't just randomly play around, you have to follow the harmonic, rythmic, sounddesign rules of your particular genre you want to play in. every genre has it's own rules, some are 'global' rules. but mostly, music is about repetition-rules.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:39 pm

it takes a LOT more concentration and talent to play a rock song on guitar, drums or bass for 4 minutes than it does to launch clips for 4 minutes. on the flip side, Live gives one person total control over the music, in the right hands that's great.

I hear you and understand. I think the debate about Live fostering or hindering music could go either way.

anyway, I think Beats was getting at the industry changing.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:41 pm

Moderat. And yes it counts god damit :twisted:

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:49 pm

davepermen wrote:no, but the chance is high that there is at least SOME creativity in parts of it :) i, for example, don't see much creativity in the whole rock genre. i grew up with it, and grew.. over it.. :) but a lot will disagree, and i disagree myself, too. i KNOW there's lots of creativity in there. it's just, i don't see it anymore really.

and besides that, music is mostly about following genre rules :) i know, that's against all the creativity-rules things, but it's still true. you can't just randomly play around, you have to follow the harmonic, rythmic, sounddesign rules of your particular genre you want to play in. every genre has it's own rules, some are 'global' rules. but mostly, music is about repetition-rules.

at least the hack rock musician can actually you know....play an instrument. at least said rock musician has some modicum of knowledge about chord leading and cadence. Probably knows a scale or two even....wow imagine that. He migh even...gasp....be able to read music or at the very least tabs. Suffice to say there is some musicianship involved

And no music isn't about following genre rules. Adhering to diatonic structure doesn't imply any genre...it just means your playing in Cb minor (or whatever key your in)

clearly the DJs and producers you follow are all about stagnant genre cliches.

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:53 pm

nuxnamon wrote:im gonna go out on a limb here and say Lady GaGa.. she has the makings of another Madonna..
what, all style and no substance? sorry, but she is wack, and the production is totally lame and derivative--seriously, the pa-pa-poker face in the original mix of the song is just horrible sounding...but I could see you being right--says a lot about the music industry and what's popular...
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Taylor Swift

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:27 pm

quandry wrote:
nuxnamon wrote:im gonna go out on a limb here and say Lady GaGa.. she has the makings of another Madonna..
what, all style and no substance? sorry, but she is wack, and the production is totally lame and derivative--seriously, the pa-pa-poker face in the original mix of the song is just horrible sounding...but I could see you being right--says a lot about the music industry and what's popular...
i disagree about the production of her tracks.. I actually think they are great.. as far as being no substance, it's dance music.. people enjoy it and dance to it..

+1 to taylor swift.. alot of people here will probably disagree, but anyone that can sell out madison square garden in 1 minute, writes most of her tunes, and is not even 18, is talented..

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Tone Deft wrote: ask them, they'll say we don't get it.
and we'd probably say, they don't know what they're missing, but I guess, neither do we.. or do we

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:39 pm

we're seriously arguing the merit of Lady Gaga. Thread = Fail

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:24 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:we're seriously arguing the merit of Lady Gaga. Thread = Fail
and your merits are? besides owning ableton live like all of us.. not really singling you out but I often see people criticize other people when they themselves don't really even compare to who they are putting down.. who am I to put down Dj's like Hawtin, Tiesto, etc.. I can talk all the crap I want about not liking their music but I still have to respect what they do..

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:25 pm

nuxnamon wrote: who am I to put down Dj's like Hawtin, Tiesto, etc..

YOU ARE NUXNAMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nuxnamon wrote: but I still have to respect what they do..

No. You don't.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:30 pm

OvertoneZero wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: ask them, they'll say we don't get it.
and we'd probably say, they don't know what they're missing, but I guess, neither do we.. or do we
exactly.

who's Taylor Swift??? ;) seriously though, never heard her (his? LOL) music. does she do covers of the oldies like "Panama" and "Hot For Teacher"?

is there anyone on this forum born after 1990?!?!

my fear is that the end IS nigh, music does suck we just don't know it yet. another reason not to have kids, don't bring them into a world with crappy music. the horror...

off for some Last.FM to find new bands.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:35 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Beats Me is writing off new music, blaming the industry. read again, slowly, move your lips if you need to.
No I'm not and if that is how some people are reading it then no wonder there's so many people in support of the "you're old" argument which has nothing to do with it.

New music is fine and great. It's the major music industry AS WE KNEW IT that has changed and no longer has almost complete control of what gets served to the masses at a relatively small percentage compared to all the artists and bands out there.

I don't know why people are missing that point.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:42 pm

what does that have to do with legacies?

Clear Channel has a damn strong stranglehold on mainstream radio. there's the web but corporations very well have a clear channel to funnel awful music to the masses.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:45 pm

beats me wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:Beats Me is writing off new music, blaming the industry. read again, slowly, move your lips if you need to.
No I'm not and if that is how some people are reading it then no wonder there's so many people in support of the "you're old" argument which has nothing to do with it.

New music is fine and great. It's the major music industry AS WE KNEW IT that has changed and no longer has almost complete control of what gets served to the masses at a relatively small percentage compared to all the artists and bands out there.

I don't know why people are missing that point.

You have a point in the sense that Clear Channel now own all the radio stations, and Disney has the tv channels, etc.
But let's not forget that before Clear Channel there was the payolas and other such rackets. The music industry has always been a pretty sleazy business to begin with.