LAUNCHPAD - Day 1

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Re: LAUNCHPAD - Day 1

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:57 am

Oh relax. You just need a live 7 update with the launchpad script folder.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:00 am

sure. better let this clear up. just afaik, the whole "a controller that moves a square in ableton around"-thing, was a live 8 feature. but it's about a year back so i'm unsure :)

better check this out to make sure
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:06 am

hoffman2k wrote:Oh relax. You just need a live 7 update with the launchpad script folder.
Thank you for this. Is this update available yet? Cheers.

And it would help to have this stated in the product specs.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:14 am

Leon Tricker wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Oh relax. You just need a live 7 update with the launchpad script folder.
Thank you for this. Is this update available yet? Cheers.

And it would help to have this stated in the product specs.
Software system requirements

Launchpad requires Ableton Live 7 or higher.
Like this?
The update isn't out yet, but between Live 8.0.8 and the M4L beta you can hardly blame them. It'll pop up.
Meanwhile you could try this: Install 8.0.6 and copy its entire MIDI Scripts folder to 7.0.16.
It'll probably work but may break other remote control surfaces in use.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:28 am

that sounds great! nice to get official feedback about this :)

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:36 am

Where can one get that update?

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:56 am

hoffman2k wrote:Like this?
The update isn't out yet, but between Live 8.0.8 and the M4L beta you can hardly blame them. It'll pop up.
Meanwhile you could try this: Install 8.0.6 and copy its entire MIDI Scripts folder to 7.0.16.
I appreciate your help Hoffman, but I don't agree with you on the "can't blame them" front. Ableton shouldn't commit to so much product development. Or at the very least they shouldn't state a product does something when clearly, at this point in time, it doesn't.

I've been a staunch defender of Ableton in the past, and don't criticise them lightly. I just don't understand why they wouldn't put on the specs something like "an update will be released in the near future for users of Live 7". That would have been nice and clear and honest, and I wouldn't have ordered one yet.

I'm really torn between cancelling my order for Launchpad, or waiting for an announcement on when Live 7 compatability will be available.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:56 am

Haha, the L7 release isn't out ! That's freaking incredible. Bravo !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:19 am

Well the fresh launchpad owners could mail support for asking when they're going to release it :wink:

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:19 am

Leon Tricker wrote:
I appreciate your help Hoffman, but I don't agree with you on the "can't blame them" front. Ableton shouldn't commit to so much product development. Or at the very least they shouldn't state a product does something when clearly, at this point in time, it doesn't.

I've been a staunch defender of Ableton in the past, and don't criticise them lightly. I just don't understand why they wouldn't put on the specs something like "an update will be released in the near future for users of Live 7". That would have been nice and clear and honest, and I wouldn't have ordered one yet.

I'm really torn between cancelling my order for Launchpad, or waiting for an announcement on when Live 7 compatability will be available.
or you could understand that their priority is to fully support live 8 first, which is their actual product, and not the people who didn't spent money on updating. and you could understand as well that most still don't get a launchpad as it's still delivering worldwide, so they still do have time.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 am

hoffman2k wrote:Meanwhile you could try this: Install 8.0.6 and copy its entire MIDI Scripts folder to 7.0.16.
Nevermind, it doesn't work like this.
Leon Tricker wrote:

My point was: Whenever Ableton updates Live, the previous version (Live 7) usually gets those fixes (if needed) next. So fixes for bugs being found up to the M4L beta may trickle down to Live 7 and earlier this year even Live 6.
So you're not only waiting for Launchpad support but also for improvements and bugfixes. And if you have a problem with that, let me refer you to every changelog that mentions the APC40 in past weeks.
I'd rather take the fixes than the bugs.

Anyway. I'm sorry I opened my mouth.
I forgot that some people just don't care about educated guesses and will just use it as fodder for their rants. Yeah, boo Ableton. How dare they to be weeks late! Its only been 2 days and it isn't even noon yet, but the nerve of them..

So much for reassuring words.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:52 am

Hi folks,

there will be an Live 7 update including Launchpad support.
I cannot yet offer a release data but it should be soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Regards
/Alex

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:02 am

Alex wrote:Hi folks,

there will be an Live 7 update including Launchpad support.
I cannot yet offer a release data but it should be soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Regards
/Alex
Just before noon :lol:

There should be an item in the FAQ that explains how mondays and coffee work!

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:36 pm

shit i should have ordered it by thomann

its not yet in stores here in berlin. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:37 pm

or you could understand that their priority is to fully support live 8 first, which is their actual product, and not the people who didn't spent money on updating. and you could understand as well that most still don't get a launchpad as it's still delivering worldwide, so they still do have time
This may be their priority but it does not excuse Ableton not stating clearly that upon release it would not be fully functional.

All they had to do was add a simple statement to this effect.

I consider this unacceptable :evil:

I have to say that from being a total fanboy who has been on board since Live 2, I am becoming more and more disappointed with the way Ableton are going about things.
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.