Seeking help for a stupid user problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shtreimel

Seeking help for a stupid user problem

Post by shtreimel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:27 am

I record a piece of audio.
I save the song, and quit Ableton.
Reopen Ableton, and the song... the audio file is missing.
I do a "missing media" search. Ableton finds, and replaces the file.
This happens every time.

This wasn't always the case, so I clearly moved a folder, or set something in prefs that's causing this headache.

Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Audio clips are being saved via this path:

/Users/(myname)/Music/Samples/Recorded/

Library:
/Users/(myname)/Music
Last edited by shtreimel on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

shtreimel

Re: Seeking help for a stupid user problem

Post by shtreimel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:39 am

Also, when I click on the clip where the audio should be, the message is "sample offline"

shtreimel

Post by shtreimel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:30 am

Figured it out. I was saving my songs in the Library folder. Clearly a no no.

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:33 pm

I just experienced the "sample offline" myself. 8O

What am I doing wrong?

So how/where should the samples be saved then??? :? :cry:

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Bump.

I would really like to know why important wav.-files suddenly disappears in my Ableton Live projects!!

Can I trust in Ableton Live as my sequencer???

Or should every customer be prepared to that every now and then valuable performances permanently suddenly disappear down the drain? :roll:

jok

Post by jok » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi Purpurkatten,

- create a dedicated folder for your Livesets outside the Live Library folder, call it "Livesets" (or however you like)
- save your Livesets directly into this folder, a project folder will be created automatically "around" the set, so that every set in "Livesets" ends up with a dedicated project folder

The important part it that you save your Liveset outside the Live Library folder and also outside an existing project (unless it´s part of the project), so that Live creates a dedicated project folder with a Samples folder etc. for your set. Please refer to the user manual, chapter 5.6 for further infos regarding projects.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks for the help, I´ll look into that.

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks for the help.

OK, I guess I have to do some rearranging in my harddrive... Sorry for beginner question, but I looked in the manual as you said and still have some questions.

I understand that I shouldn´t save my projects in the Library folder, and that´s alright with me, I´ve always had a folder for my Live projects outside the Library folder in what I call My project folder.

1. In this project folder, I then have all my different projects. Are you saying that I can´t do this, if I want to keep the samples in order?

2. I see a lot of .als-files laying in this (my Projects) folder. But I can´t see the samples. Where are they located?

3. Everyday, as soon as I´ve done some changes to my projects, I save them with "Save Live Set As" in a new folder beside the old one. Is this a correct thing to do? What should I do to make all the samples in the project be saved in this new folder?

Again, thanks for help.

jok

Post by jok » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi Purpurkatten,

1. In this project folder, I then have all my different projects. Are you saying that I can´t do this, if I want to keep the samples in order?
Yes, you can do it, this is the right way.

2. I see a lot of .als-files laying in this (my Projects) folder. But I can´t see the samples. Where are they located?
You should have a separate project folder for each project, containing one or more Livesets, a folder called "Ableton Project Info" and a folder called "Samples" containing the Samples belonging to the project (if the project contains audio files).
3. Everyday, as soon as I´ve done some changes to my projects, I save them with "Save Live Set As" in a new folder beside the old one. Is this a correct thing to do? What should I do to make all the samples in the project be saved in this new folder?
Check if the folder you save your Livesets/projects into already contains a folder called "Ableton Project Info" and a "Samples" folder, in this case you would accidentally create a nested project, no separate project folders will be created when you save your Liveset - until you Remove the "Ableton Project Info" folder from the directory you save into.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks for helping.
jok wrote:Check if the folder you save your Livesets/projects into already contains a folder called "Ableton Project Info" and a "Samples" folder, in this case you would accidentally create a nested project, no separate project folders will be created when you save your Liveset - until you Remove the "Ableton Project Info" folder from the directory you save into.

Best,
Jörg
Yes, the folder where I save my new Livesets/projects into contains both "Ableton Project Info" and a "Samples" folder.

To be clear, do you mean that when I save new projects I must take care to NOT save them in a folder that contains the two folders "Ableton Project Info" and "Samples"?

(Sorry, English is not my native language so sometimes I may need extra clarity in order to understand.)

Thanks

jok

Post by jok » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:52 am

Hi Purpurkatten,
To be clear, do you mean that when I save new projects I must take care to NOT save them in a folder that contains the two folders "Ableton Project Info" and "Samples"?
exactly.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com