ghost / alias / linked clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
jmp909

ghost / alias / linked clips

Post by jmp909 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:12 pm

Ghost clips are a must!

i think this diagram is self explanatory every instance of eg Sequence B on the timeline would be updated if Sequence B "pattern" itself was updated.

It should also have the option to convert the clip to a real (non-ghost) clip that is editable individually ie is no longer "linked" to the original clip

also, though, it would be good if you could have automation clips separate to these which maybe overrides or adds to a clips own automation. ie if i have a 1 bar clip called "Sequence C" duplicated over 4 bars then i should be able to do automation on those clips (say volume ramp) over the 4 bars, using a 4-bar automation clip controlling that sequence lane.

j.

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:32 pm

+10, once you tried ghost clips, it's very hard to work without it.

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:56 am

If there is a way to easily turn it off when you don't need it, then sure, why not.

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:42 am

YES YES YES!

geo

Post by geo » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:55 am

Ghost clips are a must and I wonder why the abletons haven't implemented it so far...

beubbo

Post by beubbo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:57 pm

geo wrote:Ghost clips are a must and I wonder why the abletons haven't implemented it so far...
+1000 !!!

...and so much other things like keyboard shortcut for moving Loop brackets based on the current selection (in arrange view)

geo

Post by geo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:49 am

beubbo wrote:...and so much other things like keyboard shortcut for moving Loop brackets based on the current selection (in arrange view)
Well, you can do that with on the current selection with the up/down arrow keys you can nudge the loop brace to the left/right by the current grid setting. And with the up/down key you can shift the loop brace left/right in steps the size of its length. The Ctrl (PC) / (Mac) modifier used with the arrow left and right keys shortens or lengthens the loop by the current grid setting. The Ctrl (PC) / (Mac) modifier used with the arrow up and down keys doubles or halves the loop length.

e-theory

Post by e-theory » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:39 am

Aliasing, Ghosting is one of the key things I miss about when I was using Logic.... Actually, Logic is so far behind Live that it is probably the only thing that I miss, BUT, nonetheless, aliasing is something that is essential for working quickly and increasing your workflow, and hence should be one of the key things to add to Live.

barstu

Post by barstu » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:40 am

+1000 from me

It's really missing I think. I hate having to re drop a clip from session to arrangement each time i change something in it.

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:52 am

hmm...i was wanting it to beging with, but now i think the workflow with a looped clip and just draging the length is a hell of a lot easier _and works the same_

or am i missing something?

barstu

Post by barstu » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:34 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, not sure. My problems when I update a clip in the session view I'd like all places it exists in the arrangement to be updated too.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:36 pm

barstu wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, not sure. My problems when I update a clip in the session view I'd like all places it exists in the arrangement to be updated too.
that's what I want

stegi

Post by stegi » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:54 pm

+1 :wink:

geo

Post by geo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:40 pm

DIgiDennis wrote:hmm...i was wanting it to beging with, but now i think the workflow with a looped clip and just draging the length is a hell of a lot easier _and works the same_

or am i missing something?
The problem lies at the point when for instance you make a break in the loop and create a slight clip alteration then again the master clip follows but this time it won't be linked with the first one that you extended by dragging the loop points. Basically, you could have the master clip scuttered all over the arrangment and you would want by changing a master clip, all it's copies to update accordingly. Of course, with a click of a button you could make any "ghost" clip unique for further tweaking(and more variety). The method described in another forum of using midi yoke to midi map clips in the session view and reference them from the arrange is very weak and not user friendly and efficient at all.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:57 am

forge wrote:
barstu wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, not sure. My problems when I update a clip in the session view I'd like all places it exists in the arrangement to be updated too.
that's what I want
and vice versa. if you dont want that as core functionality at least have it as a check box option in the prefs 'clip edit takeover' anybody?