- Live Versions: 8.3 and above
- Operating System: ALL
Live brings a number of Remote Scripts for natively-supported MIDI controllers. Those controllers don't require a manual installation of a Remote Script. They can be selected directly in Live's Control Surface chooser, which can be found in Live's Preferences → MIDI tab.
For certain controllers a Remote Script is not included in Live but provided directly by the manufacturer, e.g. for Native Instrument's Maschine. Such a Remote Script needs to be installed manually.
- Ableton can not offer support for the usage of third-party or modified Remote Scripts.
- A Remote Script is usually a collection of files with the file extension .py or .pyc (Python or Compiled Python) inside a folder with the name of the according controller. Please never copy any other files into Live's MIDI Remote Script folder!
- If you decide to install such third-party or modified Scripts, you should store them in folders with unique names and never replace the default folders, to make sure the natively supported Remote Scripts are always working. It could also be helpful to make a backup copy of the Remote Scripts folder before adding any custom Scripts to be able to restore it should problems occur.
- If you should encounter any problems with third-party or modified Remote Scripts for your controllers, please get in contact with the developers of the respective Remote Script.
A Remote Script can be installed simply by copying the folder with the Python files into Live's Remote Script folder. Please make sure that Live is not running while copying the Remote Script.
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ableton\Live x.x\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\
Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
\ProgramData\Ableton\Live x.x\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\
Note: the Application Data folder on Windows XP as well as the ProgramData folder on Vista and above might be hidden. The following article explains how to access hidden folders.
On Mac the Remote Script folder is located inside the Ableton Live application bundle. To access it, locate the Live application in Finder, right click on it and select "Show Package Content" in the appearing context menu. Then navigate to:
/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/
Next, start Live. The installed Remote Script should appear in the Control Surface chooser in Live's Preferences → MIDI tab. Activate the script by selecting it and assining the according MIDI input and output port of the controller in the MIDI port choosers next to it.
Article in Native Instrument's knowledge base on how to install and set up Maschine as controller for Ableton Live.