Where to install Live Packs?
I've downloaded a few Live Packs and devices from the Ableton website. I've looked at various bits of information re installing Live Packs, but I've not seen anything that says WHERE one should install it, which is the question that Live poses each time I try to install and the question that I'm unable to answer.
11 votes received6 votes
there are 2 sorts of live-packs. one kind is automatically installed to your live-library (packs from ableton themselve or partners) and the other ones you have to install first into any other directory. after that you have to go to this directory in your live browser, right-click on it and choose "manage project". after that a window on the right side pops up, where you can choose export to library. (pretty much on the bottom of the screen)
now you will find the whole content of this live-pack in your live-lib4 years ago | 0 comments
19 votes received4 votes
Thanks . . . . that may answer another (albeit pretty basic) question: where to find the material in the live pack that I've installed. I can see from above answer that I may have installed the live pack but not exported it to library.4 years ago | 0 comments
7 votes received4 votes
- Start Live
- Double click the .alp
- Live unpacks the .alp (a dialog with a progress bar is shown).
You need to wait for the install to finish before you install another pack.
Repeat 2-3 for each .alp to install.
The installed pack is by default stored at:
You can choose where Live installs the packs here:
Options -> Preferences -> Library -> Installation Folder for Packs10 months ago | 1 comment
4 votes received3 votes
I too was unable to drag & drop 3rd party Pack to my Ableton 9.
I followed Stoersignals advice, and launched myself to a journey like this (OS X):
- Verify that the pack doesn't install by just dragging it on the middle of Live window
- Drag the pack to some other place inside Live "PLACES" area, such as User Library
- Ctrl-click (or right click) the pack, select "manage project"
- In the bottom of the right column, press "create pack"
- Select DESKTOP
- After the task is finished, double click the new pack file on DESKTOP (feeling the taste of victory here already)
- Ableton will now start prepping the pack install... BUT, it will once again ask you where to put the pack. I was puzzled by this, but yeah... I navigated to my Ableton Library on disk and selected the Packs directory there.
- Installation finished, pack is not showing in my Ableton PACKS folder yet.
- Turns out that on the disk, in my Packs directory, the pack is there, but it's apparently not a real Pack, it's a Project.
- If I drag & drop this Project to LIVE, I will be back in step 3.
Conclusion drawn: I will never be able to install this pack as a Pack, but only as a Project.
I guess there are instructions available to all this somewhere, but I just assumed I would be able to handle assets in Ableton without following any tutorials. :) Looks like the issue is a bit more complicated.
If anyone is still reading, I would be happy to know if my conclusion is wrong or receive any general advice - sorry for a long post :)1 year ago | 1 comment
1 vote received1 vote
Uhh.. could be implemented more userfriendly?1 year ago | 0 comments
1 vote received1 vote
I too found myself scratching around until i used the 'Help' menu. The following works on mac, but i assume pc must be similar.
I had downloaded and moved 3rd party downloaded packs to a location well away from anything core Live (ie User Library). Then in Help i typed: install pack
This literally showed/animated me to:
File > Install Pack
Do that and when your OS dialogue opens just browse to where you put the packs and doub-click them - hey presto! Installation occurs and they showed in: Places > Packs
However ... when i looked in Help again with the same question it didn't show me the answer i saw before! So i guess it may be getting smart or something.
As an afterthought i tried adding a new 'Packs' folder in the 'User Library' and moving the packs there as i thought maybe it was an idea to keep everything 'inside' Live. You can move packs from within Places > Packs by right-click on the pack and choosing 'Move Pack'. However, this wasn't permitted, so i'll keep all 3rd party packs elsewhere.
Hope this helps someone1 year ago | 0 comments
You need to be logged in, have a Live license, and have a username set in your account to be able to answer questions.
Give us your feedback.