Roland TR-8 and TB-3 integration issues with existing audio interface
I have just bought a Roland TR-8 and a TB-3 and I am looking for the best way to integrate them into my ableton setup.
I am using the following
- Ableton Live 9
- Windows 7, 64 bit
- Focusrite Saffire 6 USB Audio Interface
- Akai MPK49 midi controller keyboard
- Ableton Push
- Roland TR-8
- Roland TB-3
As I understand it, the TR-8 and the TB-3 both act as audio interfaces so I can select between my 3 available interfaces in Ableton (TR-8, TB-3 & Saffire 6). I currently have my monitor speakers connected to my Saffire 6 interface so obviously if I choose say the TR-8 as my audio device I can no longer hear my monitors.
If I then connect my monitors to The TR-8 and select it as the audio device, I can setup my 11 channels in Ableton and have each of the TR-8's kit sounds on a different channel which I understand, but my monitors are now hearing everything doubled up (the audio output of both the TR-8 and the USB audio the TR-8 is sending through ableton….Is there any way to turn off the TR-8's physical audio output so you only hear the USB audio it's sending out and being routed back through it as an audio device?
The only way to get the 11 tracks of audio from the TR-8 into Ableton via USB is to have the TR-8 set as my audio interface. If I select any other audio interface the TR-8 stops sending audio over USB which is quite frustrating. This essentially means you can't use your existing audio interface and have the TR-8's 11 channels in your DAW simultaneously. Is there any way around this?
What I ultimately want is for my TR-8 (11 tracks), TB-3 (1 track) to send audio into ableton via USB and ableton's mixer controls to actually work on those channels, whilst the master output of ableton is sent out via my Saffire 6 USB (with my monitors attached) - is this possible ? … having to keep switching my monitor jacks between my audio interface and the TR-8, whenever I want to hear it's 11 channels it sends out via USB, seems ridiculous.
Here's some core questions…
- What's the best way to integrate the TR-8 and TB-3 into your ableton setup whilst still using your separate audio interface with your monitors attached?
- Assuming you want to use your existing audio/midi interface, it's apparent that you need to forget the option of the TR-8 sending it's 11 channels into ableton via USB as this doesn't work if you have another audio device selected. Am I then right in thinking that you would need to settle on connecting the main L/R outs of the TR-8 to your audio interface and work with it that way?
- I ideally would like to do all my mixing and recoding inside ableton, and not have to invest in an external mixing desk and external recording. Is a kick ass audio interface which would enable me to connect my roland gear through my best option?
Many thanks for any suggestions or advice.
You need to be logged in, have a Live license, and have a username set in your account to be able to answer questions.
Give us your feedback.