Is there a way to split a stereo track in Live?
Say I have a audio file I've recorded in Live, it's sitting in the arrange view and I want to split it into two mono tracks to edit them separately. Is there a way to do this?
Dennis DeSantis Ableton staffcontribution
192 votes received14 votes
Well, there is a way to create a left and right separation, which can then be routed independently:
- On the track containing a stereo file, create an Audio Effect Rack
- In the Rack, create two chains, called "Left" and "Right"
- Put a Utility on each chain
- For the Left chain, set the Channel Mode chooser to Left
- For the Right Chain, set the Channel Mode chooser to Right
- Pan the respective chains all the way to their respective sides, either in the chain mixer or in the Utilities.
- To compensate for the volume boost caused by Live's pan law, lower the volume of each chain by -3.01 dB (again, either in the chain mixer or in the Utility devices.
You now have the left and right signals separated. To capture, for example, the left signal to a new track:
- Create a new audio track
- Set the top Audio From chooser to the track containing your source
- Set the bottom Audio From chooser to the "Post Mixer" output of the Left chain.
- Play back the source clip while recording into the new track
Your new clip will contain just the left side of the original. Repeat this process (in reverse) to capture just the right side.
This process isn't perfect - you don't end up with MONO files on the new tracks.4 years ago | 3 comments
8 votes received6 votes
You can export it as a mono file (File\Export and make sure you have convert to mono selected).
Then drag the exported file into 2 separate tracks, and you get 2 tracks, each with a mono file.3 years ago | 0 comments
4 votes received4 votes
use the utility audio effect. set width to 0% and choose left or right.
freeze, flatten, rinse repeat for other side.1 year ago | 1 comment
2 votes received2 votes
you could get bx_solo a free vst that lets you solo the left and right side of any stereo file.
From there you could just bounce the soloed left or right side down.3 years ago | 0 comments
8 votes received2 votes
Make sure you have the I/O button on the bottom right enabled, make sure you are in arranger (mixer) view.
Between Audio From, and the channel fader, you will have Monitor, which should read 1/2, click on it an change it to either 1 or 2, whatever your physical input is.
You are now recording in mono.3 years ago | 1 comment
3 votes received2 votes
Can comments be voted up?
I'd like to see this as a built-in option, split stereo (or any multichannel audio) to mono.
But I have a feeling the Live architecture won't allow it.9 months ago | 0 comments
2 votes received1 vote
but what if i wanted to record the voice solo, as you can in protools and logic... ?3 years ago | 0 comments
1 vote received1 vote
i made some free racks specifically for multichannel routing. You might find them useful.
You can split Left-Right, Mid-Side, Lo-Mid-Hi, or a combination of each.
http://performodule.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/splytterz-free-multichannel-audio-splitting-devices-for-ableton-live-9/10 months ago | 0 comments
You need to be logged in, have a Live license, and have a username set in your account to be able to answer questions.
Give us your feedback.