Importing Apple Lossless (ALAC) files downloaded from bandcamp consistently crashes Live

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue—I wrote to Ableton support about it a few months ago and never heard back, I wrote to them again just now…

I buy a lot of music from bandcamp, mostly in Apple Lossless format. Importing these files straight from bandcamp 100% CONSISTENTLY crashes Ableton entirely. It starts analysing, gets to the end of the waveform, and then bam, Live quits unexpectedly. Not all Apple Lossless files do this, e.g. files converted from FLAC to Apple Lossless (using XLD) don't have this issue.

I'm on Yosemite, rMBP (2012 model), Live 9.1.9, etc etc…

Anyone else put in a bug report for this?

6 followers

pinklemon 1 year ago | 0 comments

5 answers

  • mischdachs
    contribution
    3 answers
    4 votes received
    2 votes

    Hi there,

    I ran into this issue too with a lot of Bandcamp releases, however after looking for a pattern in those files that cause the crashes I'm quite confident it applies to all ALAC files that are encoded with 24 bit depth.

    With Bandcamp downloads you'll either get 16 or 24 Bit encoded files - it depends on what the artist uploads. I didn't notice it either until I looked for similarities in those files. 

    This problem only affects ALAC files - the same files converted to FLAC or WAV, still in 24 bit, are fine. 

    I understand that FLAC is probably the more popular lossless choice, however ALAC isn't obscure at all and in iTunes- and iDevice-Land the only lossless choice, which makes it quite surprising that this issue is still not fixed in Ableton Live.

    1 year ago | 1 comment
  • g.br
    contribution
    0 answers
    0 votes received
    2 votes

    Encountered the same problem (24 bit ALAC m4a files crash Live) and wrote Ableton about it (Feb. 15).

    They said they filed a bug report for it but couldn't tell me when the bug would be fixed. I was disappointed as well that release after release the problem wasn't fixed ..

    Probably it isn't a priority for Ableton to fix it.. officially ALAC isn't supported (according to the manual), maybe because Windows didn't support it natively until version 10? 

    Still, the files seem to be converted correctly (I'm on OS X as well). It is only when conversion/analysis ends that Live crashed. Might be an easy fix to get it working on on OSX :-)

    As mischdachs mentions, the format shouldn't be too obscure since it is the only (?) lossless compression method that iTunes supports. Maybe Ableton will increase the priority on this bug if more people let them know they face this bug.

    Would be great if this gets fixed!

    10 months ago | 0 comments
  • mischdachs
    contribution
    3 answers
    4 votes received
    1 vote

    This issue still isn't fixed in Live 9.5 - that's quite a disappointment. 

    1 year ago | 0 comments
  • NKRDBL
    contribution
    1 answer
    1 vote received
    1 vote

    SAME! 

    9.5 and still have this annoying shit!

    FRUSTRATED

    1 year ago | 0 comments
  • mischdachs
    contribution
    3 answers
    4 votes received
    1 vote

    Yes, still very disappointed about this issue.

    For now, I make sure to transcode my 24 Bit ALACs to 16 Bit. Luckily, I'm not someone who believes in significant improvements in 24 vs 16 Bit, but it's still annoying having to go through this check (and conversion if necessary) whenever a new purchase gets added to my library. Otherwise I risk crashing Live during a live performance.

    I understand that sometimes what may seem like a small fix can actually be very complicated, but seeing this bug year after year, release after release without any fixes is mildly embarrassing for a software that considers itself professional.

    10 months ago | 0 comments

You need to be logged in, have a Live license, and have a username set in your account to be able to answer questions.

Answers is a new product and we'd like to hear your wishes, problems or ideas.