what do you *actually* expect in Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

what do you *actually* expect in Live 8?

Post by forge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:17 am

We've had a million threads about what people want, but I'm curious, what do you all actually expect there to be? whether it's what you want or not....

just kind of curious how people see it progressing from Live 7

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:24 am

im expecting disappointment, but what i would like to see is:
track group, group tracks or folder tracks
and some a different kind of marking system for each measure in the piano roll (that one is really hard thing for me to explain.. some one posted a photo shop image around live 5 era that made a lot of sense.)
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:27 am

basically a tightened up version of Live 7, lower CPU loads.

really basic DAW stuff, things that are seemingly easy to code like x-fade curves, track grouping, get the basic stuff down. fix the midi clock thing, that's just embarrassing.

balance that with live performance tools like looping tools. FFS we've made a big enough stink about that.

questions is... when will another full featured DAW do their version of session view? ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:28 am

some good shit.

genuine artistic and talented programmers, trying their best to provide the professional audio market with a stellar app. thanks in advance ableton

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Is live 8 supposed to reap the collaborative efforts with the cycling 74 peeps?
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:41 am

i dont think so... and probably better so. things like these are better with years of development

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:44 am

aisling wrote:Is live 8 supposed to reap the collaborative efforts with the cycling 74 peeps?
nobody seems to know yet!

I think it's not out of the question

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:49 am

Tone Deft wrote: questions is... when will another full featured DAW do their version of session view? ;)
yeah I've been wondering this and I'm starting to notice a few people mention it

that's been the biggest danger of putting so much time into the trying to catch up with other sequencers - if more energy was put into making its uniqueness like session as powerful as it could be then there would be no doubt whose was best, but as long as it's not possible to automate with it and other big things like that are not done then if/when someone else does create a session view, then their arrange page will be so far ahead of Live's that I think it could be a real worry for Ableton

then if the integration between the two was really tight and they worked together more then there would be no worry at all

what I actually expect in Live 8 is probably things like arrange crossfades as you say - in practice I'd actually like that really, but I'd actually prefer to wait for anything at all in arranger if the session could be better

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:59 am

session is fun to play with sometimes but i really dont take it seriously.
i really would like to find out for myself why people like it so much.
i look at it as a bunch of mini winamps that lack a stop button.
maybe more people do want daw features because they dont take the session view seriously.
how can anyone make a whole track in session?
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

j2j

Post by j2j » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:02 am

What I expect is a few more gizmos, licensed from other companies.

I'd love to see a cycling/ableton partnership. Yesterday I downloaded the Max/msp 5 demo....

I had the max demo on my machine at v4, so it is letting me do the demo again, cause of the version change and all.

Damn, max is cool. But, it is so tough. I'd love to see ableton open up like max, but still be as easy to get as Live is...

I'm also wishing for:

Folder tracks, bez. curves, clip automation, upgraded built in fx at master quality, sampler 2.0, 0% audio clicking, better timing, and analog style step sequencing......................
too many lasers...

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:04 am

nathannn wrote: how can anyone make a whole track in session?
that's kind of my point - I would really like to

but it needs a lot of attention for that to be possible
Last edited by forge on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:05 am

nathannn wrote: i really would like to find out for myself why people like it so much.
its the difference between a rigid and a natural sequence in any techno track for me.. with a midicontroller and a background as a dj, its possible to come up with sequences u wouldnt usually achieve with the normal horizontal view

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:07 am

stjohn wrote:
nathannn wrote: i really would like to find out for myself why people like it so much.
its the difference between a rigid and a natural sequence in any techno track for me.. with a midicontroller and a background as a dj, its possible to come up with sequences u wouldnt usually achieve with the normal horizontal view
and it's way more fun to jam things on the fly and decide as you go where to take it...not so possible with a linear sequencer

also - @Nathann - what brought you to Live then?

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:09 am

it brings the hardware into software!!!!

8)

8O

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:11 am

i have always found it odd that there is no proper way to sequence clips ins session besides using follow actions (wich really does not sequence).
i guess if they had this then i would use session more.

no computers or synths