Syncing 2 laptops - Advice needed re: drum machines!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ollyb303

Syncing 2 laptops - Advice needed re: drum machines!

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:44 pm

Will this work? Just want to clock the slave lapper off the master basically, no bpm changes or anything in the set, just need a midi clock.

I'm running live on both, DJ battle style.
Last edited by ollyb303 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:00 pm

Can anyone tell me if this will work in theory?
ob1techno.com

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:43 pm

That looks absolutely sound.

Just set the master Live to transmit MIDI clock to the Novation, and make sure the slave Live is set to see MIDI clock arriving at the "MIDI/USB cable" interface. Slave Live in EXT Sync mode. Should all be good.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:50 am

Nice one thanks. Thought it would, just wanted to be sure before I go for it

Cheers :D
Last edited by ollyb303 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ob1techno.com

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:16 am

Post pics and tell us if it works when you set it up!

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:48 am

I will. Can't wait! :lol:
ob1techno.com

theque

Post by theque » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:01 am

hey pitch black, do you sync your computers similarly for live shows ? if so do you get any timing issues?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:40 am

Sorta simillarly... in my case BOTH instances of Live are chasing MIDI clock from my keyboard controller, instead of one being the master/the other the slave. There is a little bit of "timing slop" between them, ie if I play just the metronomes of the two machines together, they flam and phase and shift around a little. No more than a live band of musicians though, so it's all right.

I put this down to the fact that the two machines are a G4 and an Intel, running a Multiface, and a Fireface respectively. Also the amount of slop appears to be "load-dependent", two empty sets with the metronome switched on will lock ultra-tightly, while the gigging sets (110 tracks x 250 scenes, +/- 2Gb of clips) will exhibit the timing slop.

Once again though, this "slop" is absolutely no problem in the real world. If anything, perhaps it adds a "live feel" to our gigs. You notice it metronome-vs-metronome, but not music-vs-music. Interesting phenomena, though.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Soundcloud

theque

Post by theque » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:51 am

thankd for the reply pitch black, i have always had problems getting a tight and reliable sync, i am just about to upgrade computers so hopefully this will help. fingers crossed

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:01 am

Anecdotal evidence suggests that Live does not always output reliable sync (MIDI clock), many threads suggest this... can anybody chime in here? I only ever have Live chasing MIDI clock.
Soundcloud

kingpixel

Re: Syncing 2 laptops for performance

Post by kingpixel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:27 am

Hi everybody. Very interesting post. I have the same "problem" (is not a real problem, i just can't find the right word lol) as allyb303. I am new to this and completely clueless. I need to synch 2 laptops. The image below shows what i have and i need you to help me understand what i need. Trying to understand ollyb303's scheme i suppose i need the Pillip rees midi thru connected with a usb/mid cable to the slave laptop and a midi cable to the controller of the master laptop. Am i right? Could you point me to the right device i need? That would be fantastic.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:19 am

The only device you need is a MIDI cable.

Assuming you want the left computer to be the master, and the right computer to be the slave, connect the MIDI OUT of the M-Audio to the MIDI IN of the Novation.

In the "master" Live's MIDI preferences tab, where it says MIDI Ports, enable Sync in the Output field of the M-Audio.

In the "slave" Live's MIDI preferences tab, enable Sync in the Input field of the Novation.

Now, if you look in the top left corner of either Session or Arrange view on the slave computer, you should see EXT in the parameter box next to the tempo display.

Click EXT so that it lights up and you should be good to go. Pressing play on the master Live should now stop and start the slave Live, and the slave Live should keep in sync.

kingpixel

Post by kingpixel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 am

Pitch Black wrote:The only device you need is a MIDI cable.

Assuming you want the left computer to be the master, and the right computer to be the slave, connect the MIDI OUT of the M-Audio to the MIDI IN of the Novation.

In the "master" Live's MIDI preferences tab, where it says MIDI Ports, enable Sync in the Output field of the M-Audio.

In the "slave" Live's MIDI preferences tab, enable Sync in the Input field of the Novation.

Now, if you look in the top left corner of either Session or Arrange view on the slave computer, you should see EXT in the parameter box next to the tempo display.

Click EXT so that it lights up and you should be good to go. Pressing play on the master Live should now stop and start the slave Live, and the slave Live should keep in sync.
Christal clear!! Thank you so much Pitch Black!!! And keep up the amazing work!!!

ollyb303

Re: Syncing 2 laptops for performance

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:31 am

Please help me someone.....
ollyb303 wrote:Will this work? Just want to clock the slave lapper off the master basically, no bpm changes or anything in the set, just need a midi clock.

I'm running live on both, DJ battle style.
So, actually got round to hooking all of this up last night and... disappointment :cry:

The Master is definitely sending midi clock and I can see it arriving at the usb midi cable (This one). The slave is set to external and is receiving the midi clock. When I hit play on the master, it starts both, stop stops both. Both are playing at 160bpm.

So why the disappointment? Isn't that exactly what I was trying to do?

Well, yes, but they're not in time!!!! Not even close.

They're obviously both playing at the same speed so they are consistently off-beat, but it's not workable for a live performance in any way!

I really need good, tight sync - we're playing techno, so it's important for the beats to line up exactly - and this just isn't it.

The master is running xp sp3 and live 7 and I have no noticable latency with my faderfoxes, the slave is running vista and live 7. I also tried taking the Rees through box (and the foxes) out of the equation and syncing the slave (via the midi usb cable) straight off the novation nio, but this was no better.

Any ideas anyone? Could it be the usb midi cable causing the problem? Would a different midi-usb converter be any better? Could it be vista (I'm not vista-savvy and keen to blame anything on it!)?

Or would I be better off using midi over ethernet?

This thread talks about it, but I couldn't even find all the programs DJYoshaBYD mentions (found midiclock/midiyoke but google knows nothing about midivialan!) - Is this even the best way? I never used midi over ethernet/lan before so know very little about it.

I REALLY need to make this work so any ideas would be very gratefully received.
ob1techno.com

jonathanm

Post by jonathanm » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:04 am

Have you tried going straight from the nio out to the oxygen in?

could rule out the usb/midi cable...

:edit: oh....no in on the oxygen then......

Can you borrow something with a midi in to try what i just said?