ReMOTE SL Tips & Tricks

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
blinkeye

ReMOTE SL Tips & Tricks

Post by blinkeye » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:05 pm

I thought I'd collect the various tips and tricks offered by users of Novation ReMOTE SL controllers and post them here in case it might help someone out there. Feel free to add yours.

In template 40, the bottom right buttons arms a track and at the same time selcts the 1st instrument or effect in that track as the selected device for the 8 automapped rotaries.
Make sure The SL is selected as a control surface, and select port 2 for both input and output. This is important. Then under midi ports below, make sure that for inputs, port 2 track/sync/remote is on, and do the same for output ports. Port 1 track must be one to play the keys too. Hell turn 'em all on to be safe, and figure out which ones you don't need. Now everything should midi learn. The botton knobs send on channel 1, cc's 8 to 15, but you can change that easily by turning a knob and hitting edit.
*Next, to make use of the buttons: if you want to map them to things like on/off buttons in live, hit a button, then press edit (you'll be editing the button you last pressed). Now, set the low value to 0 and the high value to 127 (really they must be <64 and >63, but 0/127 is simple), leave as cc, control disptype 0-127. Now press the left up arrow and change the btn type to toggle. Do this for all the buttons you want and save the template. By the way, you were asking how to select something to edit: Remember, you select the knob or button first and then press edit.

Another cool trick with buttons: hit edit and change the control from cc to template, chose a template number, and that button now automatically recalls that template, which you can have setup however you want. So you can bounce back and forth between automap and templates fast.
you can now select any instrument or effect (automap-wrapped) from the SL, no matter what track it's on or what track is selected. That's awesome. If you haven't found this out, it's the left button beside the drum pads, and then hit one of the top buttons under the display or left up/down buttons to chose a device.
I use the drumpads/buttons to select effect quantise rates (sync rate).
The step value of the cc# i use is 6 to step through on 1 button.

To assign the touchpad I had to assign its controllers to knobs first to set them
because the pad was weird for assigning but works fine.

You can set where the touchpad resets to in the global settings.
If 1 parameter is back to front you can reverse its value.
This works well with beat repeat for buzz rolls etc.

You can link 2 templates together and then use the buttons on the left as scroll buttons.
What I tend to do is use the ableton automap's bottom 8 knobs for an instruments internal midi-learn (as opposed to abletons midi-learn), so that it gets controlled whenever record is enabled for that track. That way, you get those 8 knobs to use for every channel. For example if it's something like reaktor, which doesn't send the names of parameters (so it's not good for plug-in automap), and you want to quickly use the instruments midi-learn, then those bottom 8 are good. Otherwise, abletons midi learn takes up the knob at all times. Might as well use a manual template for that.

Tip for quick switching of templates: Assign one button in ableton's automap to template 38 (plug-in automap) and one to a manual template you want to use (like template 1). That way you can recall it quickly with one press, and go back to ableton with a quick turn to the right of the template knob.
And I can't stress enough how much nicer it is when you've assigned buttons to be templates. In ableton automap, I've set one button as plug-in automap and one as template 1. In plug-in automap, I've got one set to ableton automap, and one to template 1. And on template 1, I've got one for plug-in automap, and one for ableton automap. So switching between ableton, plug-ins, and a custom midi learn template is instant. Later I might use the whole top row of buttons as permanent template assignments (1-6, plug-in, and ableton).
I just mean how you can change any button you want to recall any template. You know, hit a button, hit edit, then turn the top left encoder where it says "control". Change that from 'cc' to 'template', then change the encoder that's a couple to the right under 'template' to whatever template number you want. Then save.

So on every one of my three most used templates (1,38,40), I have two buttons on the top right set aside at all times to instantly recall the other two. So I rarely have to use the fiddly template encoder.
Here's a rundown of how this shit works first:

template 40: Abelton Live's automap. Good for mixing and general ableton stuff, not great for plugin control or live PA. This is what you use to mix levels, control ableton live plugins, arm tracks for recording, trigger scenes, etc.

Template 38: "Automap Universal". This is where the magic is (assuming you have the latest automap 2.0 and SL OS installed). This is where you play with automap wrapped plugins, custom templates, and MIDI CC templates. Forget the other templates on the machine, they are useless now with 2.0. You can browse the open automap wrapped plugins several ways, by either holding down the bottom left button (next to the pads) and scrolling with the upper left arrows or by selecting a category from the browser (bottom right row of buttons, hit the far bottom right control button to see a list on the LCD) and they hitting the button underneath the plugin name in the LCD or choosing it with your mouse in the GUI.

Use the GUI to reassign controls for your plugins, which should be easy enough if you read the documentation, and when you have a control scheme for your plugin that you like (remember, it can be many pages and you can assign the same controls to multiple pages, and you can change how the controls work too) right click the automap server icon->control map and save the control map somewhere. Then right click again and "save as default control map" and it will automatically bring up your custom control map every time you use the plugin from now on. It also saves the files on your computer instead of the device so you aren't limited to 40 templates at one page each. now you can have 50 pages of controls for each plugin, for 1000 plugins, and its no biggy.

NOW, onto the main topic of this discussion. MIDI CC templates. This is also made much easier by 2.0. Before, you used that have to create your own midi cc templates by using the template editor and saving them on the device. I have mine in 1-4, but they are almost useless now. Here's the new way of doing it:

+++++++++
1. Right click the server icon. Under MIDI output port, choose a free midi out port. I prefer using MIDI Yoke for my output because it wont conflict with any devices and I can also use it simultaneously with other programs; so I could basically use my SL to control both Live and say, for instance, the VJ software Resolume at the same time. You might have an automap MIDI port that you can also use. I only do when I have my Nocturn plugged in for some reason, but I prefer MIDI yoke anyway.

2. Right click server icon and go to MIDI Channels-> then check on any channels you want to open. For the time being, just use #1 for now. You can have all 16 open at once but lets keep this simple.

3. make sure the midi output port you selected is enabled and able to receive remote input in ableton live, or whatever program you are using.

4. Go to Automap Universal, or template 38. Channel 1 (as well as any other channels you checked) will be in the list of automap devices open.

5. Using any of the above methods, scroll to channel 1. I prefer hitting the "User" button on the SL browser (bottom right row of buttons, typically 3rd button from the left) and hitting the button underneath the channel listed on the LCD. There are different ways to do it, though. Use whatever method you like for browsing between automapped plugins. I listed a few up there.

6. This is three pages of controls open for MIDI CC. You can edit these like you would any other automap template in the GUI and save them in the way I described above (right click server icon->control map-> save as default). For instance, I like to change all the button step sizes to 0 so that there are hold buttons instead of toggles. You can also rename them, or change the MIDI CC messages. Its up to you. just remember to save whatever you do as the default so you wont have to do it again.

7. Assign midi like you normally would in Live or whatever.

8. boom. seems like a lot when you look at everything that I typed but its actually easy as shit. try it out
You can save multiple control maps for each automap enabled plugin (or MIDI channel I presume). There are times when creating multiple control maps is more convenient than creating a single one spanning many pages. Especially since you can name them and categorise them. Me, I usually create a single map with multiple pages as an all encompassing default map for a plugin, but may create additional streamlined maps for specific purposes.

Also note that you don't have to save a control map manually. Any active maps get saved with your Live set. So unless you'll like to use a particular control map in several songs, don't bother saving it manually. (You can always do it later if you would change your mind.)

selthym

Post by selthym » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:52 am

Great post. Thanks

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:22 am

Excellent man, thanks a lot!!

ben amato

simple challenge -any advice?

Post by ben amato » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:00 am

thanks blinkeye, this post has helped me a lot.
just need aome advice as a new remot owner. I'm doing well on template 40, but what i would love would be a way to instantly turn on or off ableton plugs on my selected track, and tweak a few parameters in them. Most plugs don't
seem to display an on/off device button when i select them, if they did i'd be smiling... do you know what i mean - so i don't need to create a template with individual mappings to each device, i can work from my selected track and tweak say the first device in my chain, but be able to instantly bypass it.
Perhaps there's something obvious i'm missing?
many thanks

ben amato

aha:)

Post by ben amato » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:04 am

figured out a way...using apple plugins instead of ableton ones, and doing the automap thing. woulda preffered the ableton plugs and to be able to just stay in template 40 tho. any htoughts on why no device onn/off for ableton plugs?
thanx
os 10 5.4 btw, and live 7 latest

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:41 am

I was gonna post my tips but I noticed my own words cut n pasted up there so thanks for saving me the trouble

kelpie

Post by kelpie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:34 pm

great!

Obvious Alias

Post by Obvious Alias » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:02 pm

Good thread. I am going to have to give some of these a try tonight!
I like cheese.

Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:02 pm

My addition to the tips list:

You can copy template 40 to any other template and thus make the new destination template an Ableton Live template. The new template will retain all the LCD control surface features while you can fully customize it to your needs without having to change template 40.

BoimB son of BoB

Post by BoimB son of BoB » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:37 pm

thanks a lot!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:16 am

wow, so many of my old posts in one place, I'm honored! Very useful actually, thanks for gathering all these tips.

Here's another one I just discovered, although it may not apply to many people: If you have two SLs of any kind (for example, I now have an SL37 and an SL Zero), rename one of the devices in your system so that Live can tell them apart. I was having troubles using both at the same time, keyboard not working and all templates besides plug-in automap wouldn't work on the 37, but now after going to audio/midi setup and changing the SL Zero device name from 'remote SL' to 'SL Zero', everything works fine again. That's the OSX way. Not sure about the corresponding PC way.

cheers
Professional Shark Jumper.

Naive Teen Idol

Re: ReMOTE SL Tips & Tricks

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:21 pm

This is incredibly useful -- thanks, blinkeye, for bringing these all together. Being able to scroll the templates is particularly clutch. Also, given Live's 128 parameter limitation and not recording automation data in clips, I particularly like the suggestion to use MIDI CC templates.

I do have one question, however:
blinkeye wrote: NOW, onto the main topic of this discussion. MIDI CC templates. This is also made much easier by 2.0. Before, you used that have to create your own midi cc templates by using the template editor and saving them on the device. I have mine in 1-4, but they are almost useless now. Here's the new way of doing it:

+++++++++
1. Right click the server icon. Under MIDI output port, choose a free midi out port. I prefer using MIDI Yoke for my output because it wont conflict with any devices and I can also use it simultaneously with other programs; so I could basically use my SL to control both Live and say, for instance, the VJ software Resolume at the same time. You might have an automap MIDI port that you can also use. I only do when I have my Nocturn plugged in for some reason, but I prefer MIDI yoke anyway.

2. Right click server icon and go to MIDI Channels-> then check on any channels you want to open. For the time being, just use #1 for now. You can have all 16 open at once but lets keep this simple.

3. make sure the midi output port you selected is enabled and able to receive remote input in ableton live, or whatever program you are using.

4. Go to Automap Universal, or template 38. Channel 1 (as well as any other channels you checked) will be in the list of automap devices open.

5. Using any of the above methods, scroll to channel 1. I prefer hitting the "User" button on the SL browser (bottom right row of buttons, typically 3rd button from the left) and hitting the button underneath the channel listed on the LCD. There are different ways to do it, though. Use whatever method you like for browsing between automapped plugins. I listed a few up there.

6. This is three pages of controls open for MIDI CC. You can edit these like you would any other automap template in the GUI and save them in the way I described above (right click server icon->control map-> save as default). For instance, I like to change all the button step sizes to 0 so that there are hold buttons instead of toggles. You can also rename them, or change the MIDI CC messages. Its up to you. just remember to save whatever you do as the default so you wont have to do it again.

7. Assign midi like you normally would in Live or whatever.

8. boom. seems like a lot when you look at everything that I typed but its actually easy as shit. try it out
When I enabled Channel 1 in Automap MIDI to control the ARP 2600 V sequencer, I was able to use it...but not to save the MIDI CC template uniquely to that plug. I have no problems saving default maps normally in Automap, but no matter what plugin I opened afterward opened the ARP map.

Any idea why that would be happening?
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod

condra

Post by condra » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:34 am

Hold PLAY and press the OCTAVE buttons to quickly change global midi channel.

condra

Post by condra » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:32 am

So what are peoples favourite plugins to use with Automap?

I'm struggling to make a meaningful Sylenth Template. Maybe its just a matter of familiarising myself more with it.

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:11 pm

condra wrote:So what are peoples favourite plugins to use with Automap?

I'm struggling to make a meaningful Sylenth Template. Maybe its just a matter of familiarising myself more with it.
really? Sylenth is one the most obvious plugins for automap that I have. Its laid out in a pretty logical manner. I made one that works for me, maybe you can look at it to get an idea