Scratch!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
tjwett

Scratch!

Post by tjwett » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:43 am

maybe an effect where you could "scratch" a clip by scrubbing it with something like a Korg Kaoss Pad might be cool.

DJ RAY

yummy!

Post by DJ RAY » Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:54 pm

:o yeah!i would dig that!

arar

Post by arar » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:32 pm

Ive used a Kaoos pad for scratching with Live/making waves during a PA..it is cool!

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:52 pm

BUMP!
Almost 4 years later:

-Faderfox DJ2 & DX2 ship with "Seek/Scratch" encoders
-Xone 3D has 2 jog wheels
-MCU has a jog wheel
-Behringer BCD2000 & others like the Hercules offer cheap dual-wheel setups
-Rane/Serato and NI are getting $$ I'd rather see going to Ableton

Where is the Ableton approach to this method of mixing/mangling tracks? Maybe the way others are doing it doesn't suit Live, but SOMETHING will.

I'm dying for a little more of a tactile vinyl/CDJ experience. Whether it just gives special effects or actually helps with nudging & beatmatching doesn't matter (though both are hoped for).

After 4 years, is this getting even anywhere near the top of the wishlist?

webslave

Post by webslave » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:50 am

John Sweet wrote:BUMP!
I'm dying for a little more of a tactile vinyl/CDJ experience. Whether it just gives special effects or actually helps with nudging & beatmatching doesn't matter (though both are hoped for).
A 'scrub/scratch' option would be so useful but in different ways I was thinking, mosly because different folks use Live in different ways.

Live DJing - not what I do but can see this as vital and just plain cool.
Performance - the second face of live, and loads of creative possibilities and also a way to get things back in time if needed.
Recording - being able to scrub through arrangements / tracks / clips would make the current battle of navigating the arrange view multiple times easier. Once used in other programs you really miss it in Live.

Stew

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:47 am

Why not link the function of each scrubber to the crossfader assignment? That could add a lot of customizability for individual users, while conforming to the general 2-encoder setup of the existing Traktor controllers out there.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:54 am

…and maybe you choose the scrubbing mode from a drop-down by the onscreen representation of the controller: "Locator, Quantize Grid, Clip Setting, Beats, Complex, Re-Pitch, Tones, Grains, Vinyl, Magnetic Tape, Digital Tape" --just to add more flexibility.

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:38 pm

Count me in for a scratch function, long overdue methinks.
Visit Pandamonium Records homepage @ http://www.pandamonium.com.au

Site best viewed with stereo cranked.

stratusseeker

Post by stratusseeker » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:03 pm

anyone know of a good scratching plug-in for mac? I saw meat beat manifesto a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed the scratching stuff he was doing.

he also scratched video tracks.

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:48 am

I'm in! :wink:

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat May 13, 2006 9:40 pm

OK...I've dropped Traktor for good now. :?

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:02 pm

Looks like Torq is the answer here now?

M-Audio probably won't take kindly to Live getting in on their turf, & Ableton was never interested anyway, so this is probably the end of the line for this one.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:18 am

I think that the playhead in general should be alot more controllable.

The start and loop points shouldn't be coupled to the playhead position. The "needle dropping" should be deterministic, not haphazard. (You can do the same thing twice and get a different result). The update of playhead position is too slow and unpredictable to be useful for any hardcore manipulation.

I think that if the playhead engine was made considerably more fluid and playable, then some kind of "scratching" functionality might emerge organically.

$0.02,
rs

napalmskatterjazz

Post by napalmskatterjazz » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:38 am

vst plugins are the way to scratch. check devine machine, most of em cost 20 to 100 bucks but scratching your original material on the fly with a knob is rad ass.
2.0Ghz Coreduo PC notebook, 4GB ram, Overclocked to hell sittin on aluminum extra fans w/ no drivebay or pcmcia...
2.8Ghz Quadcore on Asus MB, 4GBRam, Dual 512MB SLI Graphics both @16x.

m.nash

Post by m.nash » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:09 pm

I hope I don't get into trouble with the mods for hammering this issue (if so guys send me a pm telling me slow down). But I'm trying to rally up support for vinyl control and scratching in the Torq/Ableton rewire mode.

If anyone's interested they can post up their support on the Torq website.

http://www.torq-dj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58

is the official forum, and wishlist topic concerning this. Please if you are interested in this feature, POST!!!