what happens if I delete live 6 after upgrading to 7?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri May 23, 2008 2:35 am

In fact I should amend my previous advice and make sure you understand that Live 6 -> Live 7 Library has some definite changes! A version switch should always be done by COPYING (i.e. DUPLICATING) your Library for use with the new version!

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri May 23, 2008 2:40 am

longjohns wrote:Keep in mind that Library structures and file types change from version to version, so you might have some problems if you later try to go back to another version..

Although some of these comments have come at you with snarky attitude, you might take a deep breath and think about the consequences of upgrading/altering your Library.

$100 or whatever might start to seem pretty cheap if it lets you keep an extra copy of your Library in case you need to revert to Live 6.
Makes sense, thanks

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Fri May 23, 2008 2:40 am

Tone Deft wrote:Live uses previous versions for processing power, the more previous versions you have on your machine the smoother and warmer Live sounds, this is something that's grossly missing from the Performance Test.

do not delete it.
this is true!

it's the only way i still can get along with this old G4

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri May 23, 2008 2:41 am

longjohns wrote:well, since you're not really getting a straight answer
Whats not straight about my initial reply??? :? :?
I thought it was quite succinct and straight to point highlighting and backing up my point of view as regards the dangers of deleting extraneous software versions... 8O
These things need t be considered and taken seriously if we are all going to survive into the next millennia.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

knotkranky

Re: what happens if I delete live 6 after upgrading to 7?

Post by knotkranky » Fri May 23, 2008 8:37 am

ScholarlyGent wrote:The subject title pretty much speaks for itself. I just loaded the live 7 upgrade and I want to free up disc space by deleting live 6. Seems like there shouldn't be any problem with doing this but I just want to make sure before I do something stupid.
You'll end up with Live 1

Homebelly

Re: what happens if I delete live 6 after upgrading to 7?

Post by Homebelly » Fri May 23, 2008 11:05 am

knotkranky wrote:
ScholarlyGent wrote:The subject title pretty much speaks for itself. I just loaded the live 7 upgrade and I want to free up disc space by deleting live 6. Seems like there shouldn't be any problem with doing this but I just want to make sure before I do something stupid.
You'll end up with Live 1
:D
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud