Live filters duplicate CC values

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
robbmasters

Live filters duplicate CC values

Post by robbmasters » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:27 am

Live (6.0.10) seems to filter duplicate values for all MIDI CCs - apart from CC 0. It's probably easiest if I explain this with an example...

I have an endless encoder on my Novation 25SL set to CC 0 on channel 3 (Port 1). It's in relative mode such that it always sends a value of 63 when I turn it to the left, and always sends a value of 65 when I turn it to the right.

I have a MIDI track in Live with an input of "Novation 25SL: Port 1" channel 3, and an output of "MIDI Yoke NT:1" channel 3.

In Live's MIDI Preferences...
"Input: Remote SL: Port" has both "Track" and "Remote" set to "On".
"Output: MIDI Yoke NT: 1" has "Track" set to "On".

If I turn my encoder to the left, and keep turning it to the left then both the "MIDI Track In" indicator and the "MIDI Track Out" indicator flash with every click of the encoder. Same if I keep turning it to the right.

However, if I now change my encoder to a different CC, then the "MIDI Track In" indicators flashes with every click but the MIDI Track Out indicator flashes with the first click only, and Live does not appear to transmit these duplicate messages.

In my scenario, these messages go to Bome's MIDI translator which converts then to Up and Down key presses, so that I can navigate with an encoder. But this doesn't work unless I use CC 0...
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:46 pm

If you're using midi yoke, shouldn't you turn on it's Remote option in the preferences, and turn it off for your SL?

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think so...

My 25SL goes directly into Live, and controls Live directly, so I need Remote enabled for the 25SL input.

The MIDI data from the 25SL that Live doesn't use directly (channel 3) gets sent out of Live on MIDI Yoke NT 1's output. This then gets translated by Bome's and comes back in on MIDI Yoke NT 2's input - which also has Remote enabled.

Either way, it doesn't seem to explain why CC#0 acts different to all the others....

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:24 pm

Could it be a routing problem where Yoke stops the stream because of feedback?

Can't test it right now...

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Thanks, but I don't think so. It seems it's getting stopped in Live before it gets to MIDI Yoke. Live just doesn't seem to be sending the data.

And, as above, this wouldn't explain why duplicate values do get sent on CC#0 but do not get sent on any CC.

For some reason (either a bug or something I don't understand) Live allows duplicates to pass on CC#0 but not on any other CC.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:55 pm

I see it happening too (@ 7.0.3).

Strange indeed...

Edit - Although it looks like it's doing the same thing on CC 0.