Ableton search vs Google search?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

Ableton search vs Google search?

Post by gjm » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:57 am

Every now and then someone bags the Ableton search engine, for various reasons. Recently I saw that you can use google to seach if you use syntax something like this

site:ableton.com and your topic to search

So I tried it on a word that I knew would have a limited presence in the data base "doilies." (the ones sweetjesus has under his nearfields). I used both the Ableton search and the google search. Google could not find a match, but the Abe's search found it. So what is the advantage of using the google seach in the Abe site? And also, apart from the options avaliable to search with, what's actually wrong with the search option on this board? :?
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:15 am

as I said in another thread, the Ableton search engine is a living entity and throws out Karmically Tangental threads that are meant to lead you on mad time wasting safaris

entering random words can lead you on all kinds of whacky adventures into the murky bowels of Abletonia

"Cat + milk" will probably be a good start

gjm

Re: Ableton search vs Google search?

Post by gjm » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:12 am

gjm wrote: what's actually wrong with the search option on this board?
Nada I say. It has no brain. Tis no Frankenstein. It does what it is supposed to do... look for the words you ask for, with no preferences and no concern for your feelings. Where did all of those words come from?...the dark and tortured minds of Abletonia's citizens....douche pickles, cats milk, doilies AND, AND, AND all.

Still, one mod would be nice, search by subject line. The pride that this collective forum has is that it is self governing, and overtime will adapt to the tools within it's grasp. Surely this one extra filter would not be too cumbersome to construct. Once noticed and used by members then you could equally reply STFF (search the f'n forum) and RTFM with a little more confidence :P

Where's that pie in the sky? :roll:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 am

bs. i agree with forge. too tired to do anything else? load some tunes, and venture into the murky depths!

who knows what you may find... is it merely coincidence, or have magical doors opened right before your very eyes...

behold, the future, written in the past...

or some really funny shit, at least :wink: :lol:

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:23 am

dcease wrote:bs. i agree with forge. too tired to do anything else? load some tunes, and venture into the murky depths!

who knows what you may find... is it merely coincidence, or have magical doors opened right before your very eyes...

behold, the future, written in the past...

or some really funny shit, at least :wink: :lol:
Search by image would be good.....oh, no pron anymore

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:28 am

all you'd get is cats :lol:

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:31 am

dcease wrote:all you'd get is cats :lol:
TD's Kitty pron 8O

forge

Post by forge » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:28 pm

gjm

Post by gjm » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:40 pm

OK, I am really interested..... seriously. You searched 'serendipity' and got those? How come I didn't? Or is that the issue?

BTW, the wanking thread has sooooooo much comedy potential :lol:

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:52 pm

fwiw, i have a search widget on my website that allows you to search several electronic music sites of interest via google, and can be limited to just this forum: http://utenzil.com/frames_index.html

having said that, if'n it's the strange and bizarre yer looking fer, then look for 'birth announcement' (specifying All Terms) using the Ableton forum search :)
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

simpleton

Re: Ableton search vs Google search?

Post by simpleton » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:19 am

gjm wrote:...So what is the advantage of using the google seach in the Abe site?...
Google needs the money, the economy is in a rut, help a brotha out. :wink:
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.