WHAT UP WITH AUTOMAP 2.0 ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
boraxx

WHAT UP WITH AUTOMAP 2.0 ?

Post by boraxx » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:09 pm

seriously. they said end of march....

Winston

Post by Winston » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Actually they said end of February first...

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:33 pm

I didn't even know about Automap 2.0. I just updated my SL to the 4.1 installer a few days ago.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Corn Swabler

Post by Corn Swabler » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:09 pm

VAPORWARE

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:03 pm

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:06 pm

2.0 is out now. Just downloaded and installed it.

http://www.novationmusic.com/support/so ... remote_sl/
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:29 pm

how is automap 2.0 on teh zero sl. thinking of making a purchase soon, either that or a nocturn. probably nocturn due to lack of funds.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:34 pm

so whats new with Automap2.0 anyone?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:57 am

It comes with Ghey++ extreme instead of the normal Ghey++.

Also, you have to look at your monitor more now then the controller.

philipc

Post by philipc » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:06 am

This may be a stupid question but where is the little heads-up-display thing? Its set to show on startup but nothing pops up.

Also, has anyone else noticed increased audioglitchyness since installing this? I have.

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:33 pm

first impressions are not good unfortunately. installed the thing and can't find any documentation anywhere. the interface has some hyperlinks to the novation website, and those links which aren't broken don't seem to contain any v2.0 info yet.

i really don't see the point in hui - there were already 4 places i could look to see the status of a controller value: the plugin's own gui, the knob position on the SL37, the LED on the SL37, live's unfolded device editor. why would i want a fifth place to look?

any why is it semi-transparent? it just makes it even harder to read. am changing that as soon as i figure out how to get back into the settings menu.

maybe with some more perseverance i'll see the value of it, but right now looks like it's going to be a long night of head-scratching...

if anybody's found the documentation, please let me know where i can find it.

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:18 pm

Ugh geezus some people. AUtomap 2.0 is a godsend for anybody with an SL. Here's why I like it:

Makes it tons easier to create your own custom automaps. Quick learn mode, plus the HUD lets you see where everything is mapped out on your controller so you can arrange everything easier.

Gives you UNLIMITED pages for each custom automap. Can span a single parameter across multiple pages, so for instance with each page you can set up the controls for different oscillators but still have a nob that maps to filter one cutoff.

Saves and organizes your custom automaps on your hard drive so you aren't limited to storing your custom automap templates on the device. This means I can create custom automaps for hundreds of plugins, organize them, and have them automatically load when I load the plugin without having to swap the template out for another one already on the device. The SL only has 40 template spots, and each page counts as a template. Now you can have a single template that uses 40 pages and it only wastes space on your HD, so you can have a tons of them without worrying about using up space on the device

I happen to like the transparent screen quite a bit. Lets you see where all the parameters are on the device without having to fiddle with selecting and scrolling with the device and its lcd screen. I dont have to select the row and then cycle through multiple pages to find out where the parameter I need is, I can just look at the automap screen and see where it is and change it quickly if I want to.

Theres also strait MIDI CC shit you can play with but I haven't gotten into that yet.

The documentation is on the beta testing site.
http://mail.focusrite.com/beta/index.php
Last edited by Geezus on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:28 pm

Geezus wrote:Ugh geezus some people. AUtomap 2.0 is a godsend for anybody with an SL. Here's why I like it:

Makes it tons easier to create your own custom automaps. Quick learn mode, plus the HUD lets you see where everything is mapped out on your controller so you can arrange everything easier.

Gives you UNLIMITED pages for each custom automap. Can span a single parameter across multiple pages, so for instance with each page you can set up the controls for different oscillators but still have a nob that maps to filter one cutoff.

Saves and organizes your custom automaps on your hard drive so you aren't limited to storing your custom automap templates on the device. This means I can create custom automaps for hundreds of plugins, organize them, and have them automatically load when I load the plugin without having to swap the template out for another one already on the device. The SL only has 40 template spots, and each page counts as a template. Now you can have a simple template that uses 40 pages and it only wastes space on your HD, so you can have a tons of them without worrying about using up space on the device

I happen to like the transparent screen quite a bit. Lets you see where all the parameters are on the device without having to fiddle with selecting and scrolling with the device and its lcd screen. I dont have to select the row and then cycle through multiple pages to find out where the parameter I need is, I can just look at the automap screen and see where it is and change it quickly if I want to.

Theres also strait MIDI CC shit you can play with but I haven't gotten into that yet.

The documentation is on the beta testing site.
http://mail.focusrite.com/beta/index.php
wow, that sounds very nice.
please please, tell me something before i dive again into the automap madness: can i create a map that will for example have:
- each fader (auto)mapped to the cutoff of several autofilters that are inside racks, accross 8 trakcs
- knob 1 mapped to the 2nd macro of a the 3rd rack on track 5
- on page 2 of the map, knob 1 mapped to 5th macro of the 2nd rack of track 6
you get the idea. what i want to know is if that can be used almost like the midi map mode of live, except that i'll deal only with the remoteSL.

i tried to install it during the beta, but i didn't even manage to get the automap server to detect Live.

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:37 pm

cheers for the link geezus, i am checking out the docs and hopefully all will become clear soon!

by custom automap, do you mean regular midi cc control maps? as i'm sure multiple pages were already possible with automap universal where i used a similar approach to spanning certain controls across pages.

have you worked out what the "mixer page" in the browser is for? i would have expected to see the ableton live template in there, but on my setup it's just empty.

circuitslave

Post by circuitslave » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:09 pm

pat the dog wrote: i would have expected to see the ableton live template in there, but on my setup it's just empty.

Live ( Mixer Automap) isn't supported yet in 2.0. I'm sure they will be releasing one soon, though. You have to use the Automap Midi Client to set up your own template for Live.