Use anything as a MIDI/OSC controller with GlovePIE

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:17 pm

was like this

Code: Select all

midi3.Control33= (EnsureMapRange(var.zRot, -13,13, 0,1))  
is now like this

midi3.Control33 = EnsureMapRange(var.zRot, -13.0, 13.0, 0.0, 1.0)
mmm i got rid of the brackets... let me try

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:32 pm

I've tested several code variatons... no luck.

God must hate me indeed. I must sleep now, can you test (fix) the script the way I updated it for me? Thanks againnnnnnn.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:43 pm

rutgermuller wrote:I've tested several code variatons... no luck.

God must hate me indeed. I must sleep now, can you test (fix) the script the way I updated it for me? Thanks againnnnnnn.
wow - very strange

I might have a look tonight - really need to get some work done!

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:58 pm

forge wrote:
rutgermuller wrote:I've tested several code variatons... no luck.

wow - very strange

I might have a look tonight - really need to get some work done!
Ok no prob.
At least I KNOW what instant mapping is , and how it SHOULD work now :).

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:41 am

By the way: The macro knobs still react to the keyboard keys!

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:04 am

Just to rule it out I reinstalled Midiyoke.

Then the keys didn't output midi to live anymore.

Check glovedpie GUI, saw that midi yoke 1 was microsoft wavetable bla bla.

Fixed that by going into windows control panel > audio > set play midi default to Midi Yoke 1. Check glovedpie GUI was midi1 was midiyoke NT1.

Keys work again, still nog macro control from the wii :evil:

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:14 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I fixed it... i had control surface on Midiyoke 1 all the time in stead of 3.

Found this out by trying something random: renamed all midi3 to midi in the script. I think you already gave that tip some time again.

Ah well :) Thanks again. finally it's time to rock n roll.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:33 am

HOORAY!! :D :D :D

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:59 pm

yep. im about to get another cup of coffee, and then im going to dive in to the glovepie world, so wish me luck.

also, i vote sticky.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:27 am

Angstrom wrote:Using keyboard number keys to view groups of tracks in Session, or different user 'views'

EG: viewing tracks 1-12 in one group, tracks 13-24 in another ... etc.
So, key pressing 1 would mean that tracks 1-12 are visible, key 2 = tracks 13-24 are visible.
But if you also have a couple of VST windows that you do not want to pan, such as a synth on top which you need to see all the time they can stay fixed in place.

IMPORTANT
how to use:
  • it will only work if Live 7 is the active window, if you have a different version then alter the obvious number in the first line
  • To begin press your number keypad "+" this will increase the width of Live's window by 3, for this demo.
  • if you have no number keypad (if you are on a laptop), then you can try to change the keys for some keys you do have, change lines to if(one)Window.Left etc
  • now press the numpad keys 1 to 3 and your Live display should pan. 1 will be the browser end of the GUI, 3 will be the effects end
  • to finish press the numpad key "-" (minus)
here's the code

if (Window.AfterDash =="Live 7"){
debug="Live is the active window"
if(NumPadPlus)Window.Width=  Screen.Width*3;
if(NumPadMinus)Window.Width=  Screen.Width*1;
if(NumPad0)Window.Left =Screen.Width*0
if(NumPad1)Window.Left =(Screen.Width*1)*-1
if(NumPad2)Window.Left =(Screen.Width*2)*-1
if(NumPad3)Window.Left =(Screen.Width*3)*-1
}
of course if you want everything to pan , then simply change the word Window to the word "Screen" and you can have the whole thing panning backwards and forwards.
that way you can press "4" and see all your Vsti , and press "6" to see all your effects!.

of course Live effects and instruments don't float and stay where you put them... so only VSTi would be able to do that
with this script in mind, im curious..
ive got my hercules set up with two endless rotaries, one scrolling up&down and the other scrolling left&right.

is there a way to modify this script so that when i scroll off the first part group, it automaticly switches to the second? im guessing i need to remake my whole bomes setup in glovepie, which i would if i could only get glovepie to find my midi device for me..

other then that, is there a way to do that you think?
nonetheless, really neat script. ive limited myself to 16 tracks only, but im sure i can put all my analyzers and crap on group 2 :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:42 am

friend_kami wrote:
is there a way to modify this script so that when i scroll off the first part group, it automaticly switches to the second? im guessing i need to remake my whole bomes setup in glovepie, which i would if i could only get glovepie to find my midi device for me..

nonetheless, really neat script. ive limited myself to 16 tracks only, but im sure i can put all my analyzers and crap on group 2 :)
Hmm, I'm not sure I understand - you have your clips in clumps and when you scroll off the bottom of one clump you want the next clump selected? Is that right?
I'm sure there would be a way, but I'm not sure that this is what you mean.

As far as using millions of tracks - heh, yes I know. 16 is usually more than adequate for vertical people, but I have a vague idea that some users have horizontal track groups, I think Pitch Black work like this, although I could be wrong.

I won't really be using this script in this way, it was just an experiment.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:03 pm

well. i mean i dont really NEED it per se, seeing how if i scroll the cursor to the far most right for example, it will scroll the screen witht he cursor, although it will scroll one at a time.

what i wanted was a way to figure out where the cursor was located in the session grid (formost right or left), then flip the screen to the next group.

instead of me going to the farmost edge of the session grid, then hitting a group numberlock key, it would do that automaticly.
i had an idea for the script, and this was why i was wondering.

i gave up pretty fast though :p
Angstrom wrote:
friend_kami wrote:

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand - you have your clips in clumps and when you scroll off the bottom of one clump you want the next clump selected? Is that right?
I'm sure there would be a way, but I'm not sure that this is what you mean.

As far as using millions of tracks - heh, yes I know. 16 is usually more than adequate for vertical people, but I have a vague idea that some users have horizontal track groups, I think Pitch Black work like this, although I could be wrong.

I won't really be using this script in this way, it was just an experiment.

stutter

Question for those with experience

Post by stutter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Any way in Glovepie to output translations once at a time, instead of a stream... in other words, if I have a translator

Space = midi.Control110

I would like to press cc110 and get a single [Space] output, rather than a stream of outputs as the Glovepie script loops over that translator again and again for as long as cc110 is held down.

circuitb

Post by circuitb » Sun May 18, 2008 1:10 pm

hi all
just a note about:

Angstrom wrote :
"once you press num pad 0 any track which is selected then the rack will get selected. I mean it really wants to be selected !
and if you change track, then that rack is selected anyway ... somehow!

it's a bit mental and unfinished, but the idea works Smile
it just needs a little option to choose the tracks."

in fact you have to use Mackie control to select tracks 1 to 8
(note on 24 to 31 on ch1) and bank up/down (note 47/46 on ch1)
to switch between 8 tracks blocks...
after that just apply the keystrokes(Alt+Down+down+down) and midi macro map via automap as explained earlier....

becarefull if u have manualy(mouse) select a macro knob or anything else
than the rack (blue hand), the ALT+Down will not select the rack ..but the macro knob....
here i miss some live keyboard shortcuts :) ....like the classic TAB key to navigate through parameters.....
if vitaminL (autohotkey) seems to do that........
GlovePie / vvvv should too ?

what do u think?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun May 18, 2008 7:00 pm

circuitb wrote:hi all
just a note about:

Angstrom wrote :
"once you press num pad 0 any track which is selected then the rack will get selected. I mean it really wants to be selected !
and if you change track, then that rack is selected anyway ... somehow!

it's a bit mental and unfinished, but the idea works Smile
it just needs a little option to choose the tracks."

in fact you have to use Mackie control to select tracks 1 to 8
(note on 24 to 31 on ch1) and bank up/down (note 47/46 on ch1)
to switch between 8 tracks blocks...
after that just apply the keystrokes(Alt+Down+down+down) and midi macro map via automap as explained earlier....

becarefull if u have manualy(mouse) select a macro knob or anything else
than the rack (blue hand), the ALT+Down will not select the rack ..but the macro knob....
here i miss some live keyboard shortcuts :) ....like the classic TAB key to navigate through parameters.....
if vitaminL (autohotkey) seems to do that........
GlovePie / vvvv should too ?

what do u think?
eh what?
come again?