Bearded men ahoy, share your advice..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:31 pm

I knew that image reminded me of something,
uncanny resemblance!

actually it's kinda weird the background yellow is the same and even the crop angle. I demand that you start a band with a monk and a fishmonster and get up to all kinds of crazy escapades.

laird

Post by laird » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:42 pm

forge

Post by forge » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Angstrom wrote:I knew that image reminded me of something,
uncanny resemblance!

actually it's kinda weird the background yellow is the same and even the crop angle. I demand that you start a band with a monk and a fishmonster and get up to all kinds of crazy escapades.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

weird - there's been a Monkey resurgence in my house, my son has been getting really into it and I've been really enjoying watching it again

the DVD has an 'unseen in UK' episode that was never dubbed - weird watching it with the real voices and reading subtitles, you can see how much the UK dubbers added their own input, the Japanese version, as you might expect seems to be a lot more brutal slapstick humour

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 pm

forge wrote: the DVD has an 'unseen in UK' episode that was never dubbed - weird watching it with the real voices and reading subtitles, you can see how much the UK dubbers added their own input, the Japanese version, as you might expect seems to be a lot more brutal slapstick humour
and of course the theme tune is a synth fest of analogue pitch bendyness. I have a version without the intro talk, and it's great.

hooray for the Japanese.
They must laugh themselves silly at the English language version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3_IAf-qM9k

I very much doubt that it featured on US tv.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:01 am

never heard of monkey over here

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:03 am

Angstrom wrote:
forge wrote: the DVD has an 'unseen in UK' episode that was never dubbed - weird watching it with the real voices and reading subtitles, you can see how much the UK dubbers added their own input, the Japanese version, as you might expect seems to be a lot more brutal slapstick humour
and of course the theme tune is a synth fest of analogue pitch bendyness. I have a version without the intro talk, and it's great.

hooray for the Japanese.
They must laugh themselves silly at the English language version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3_IAf-qM9k

I very much doubt that it featured on US tv.
I really like the Uk version though - they have done a lot with the characters that I'm not sure was always there in the japanese version, but they definitely did a very good job of fitting it - I had no idea just how funny Sandy was until the other day - he's actually really dry and sarcastic - I would have missed it as a kid

the only thing I have always thought though is that the dubbing could have been construed as quite racist, but then when I was watching it the other day I was thinking they were actually probably quite reserved - I'm not sure they could have exactly dubbed it in their best RP BBC accents

I had a religious studies teacher in year 12 who was telling us about Monkey and how it was kind of a dig from Japanese Buddhists at the Chinese Buddhists and they were kind of mocking them a bit

it was a brilliant show though, one of the better ones of the time

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:13 am

forge wrote: I had a religious studies teacher in year 12 who was telling us about Monkey and how it was kind of a dig from Japanese Buddhists at the Chinese Buddhists and they were kind of mocking them a bit
That was a popular theory, but it is actually based on a Chinese book and it was filmed in China too (with Japanese actors and for Japanese telly of course) so I doubt the Chinese would smile on a piss-take. Especially back then.

The book (Journey to the West) is a bit of a classic I hear and both Chinese and Japanese TV occasionally do modern versions with varying levels of seriousness.

I think that many people greatly over-thought what was essentially just a daft TV show. ;)

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:14 am

doc holiday wrote:never heard of monkey over here
shame - and unless you grew up with it it might never have the same kind of cult appeal - kind of like sesame st where you at first think it;s just a good kids show then as you get older realise just what sheer genius it was

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:20 am

Angstrom wrote:
forge wrote: I had a religious studies teacher in year 12 who was telling us about Monkey and how it was kind of a dig from Japanese Buddhists at the Chinese Buddhists and they were kind of mocking them a bit
That was a popular theory, but it is actually based on a Chinese book and it was filmed in China too (with Japanese actors and for Japanese telly of course) so I doubt the Chinese would smile on a piss-take. Especially back then.

The book (Journey to the West) is a bit of a classic I hear and both Chinese and Japanese TV occasionally do modern versions with varying levels of seriousness.

I think that many people greatly over-thought what was essentially just a daft TV show. ;)
thing is there is definitely a strong Buddhist motivation behind it - there was once or twice watching it when I wondered if it was the equivalent of loony bin evangelical christian telly, but with the saving grace of being buddhist - but I also realised clearly that they had firmly in mind that it was ultimately a kids show, so yeah, probably over analysed by adults - i think the violent 'kung fu' like nature of it and the brutal comedy made a lot of people take it as more general, but I think in Japan kids telly is probably a lot more violent anyway

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:24 am

forge wrote:
Angstrom wrote:

thing is there is definitely a strong Buddhist motivation behind it - there was once or twice watching it when I wondered if it was the equivalent of loony bin evangelical christian telly, but with the saving grace of being buddhist - but I also realised clearly that they had firmly in mind that it was ultimately a kids show, so yeah, probably over analysed by adults - i think the violent 'kung fu' like nature of it and the brutal comedy made a lot of people take it as more general, but I think in Japan kids telly is probably a lot more violent anyway
I can still clearly remember being a kid and seeing the bit where he pisses on Buddha's fingers. I was an instant fan. Even if I could never figure out why half the blokes were played by women!

It must have been hell growing up in a country which did not know how to summon a cloud. Every bloke my age once had an imaginary huge stick hidden in their ear. A lot of women too.

Beards!

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:26 am

ha ha yeah that episode is one one of the tapes I have

I wonder how many people have garden rake injuries as a result? I know it was always a disappointment for the one who had to be Pigsy but they at least got to swing a rake around

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:55 am

Dudes I went from page one directly to page 6 and can't for the life of me figure out how this thread went from beard advice to garden rakes. Sounds painful.

My advice is whenever someone asks you a question you have no clue how to answer, just stroke the beard. Works every time.
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:58 am

MartinOM28V wrote:Dudes I went from page one directly to page 6 and can't for the life of me figure out how this thread went from beard advice to garden rakes. Sounds painful.

My advice is whenever someone asks you a question you have no clue how to answer, just stroke the beard. Works every time.
:lol: whenever that happens you have to work your way back

astromass

Post by astromass » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:04 am

dude, grow yer beard out like ben bridwell of the band 'band of horses'. during a recent performance in philadelphia there was a heckler in the crowd making fu nof his beard, claiming, "oooo, i WISH i had a beard like that". ...he yelled this a few times and was really singling himself out in the crowd, then bid finally repied "you want a beard like mine? here, i'll shave off some of my pubes for ya (grabs his crotch, crowd goes nuts)....oh wait, i don't have any pubes! ". !!! classic.
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

The Crane

Post by The Crane » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:35 am

Chicks dig beards

(except the chicks who can't STAND beards)