how to use logic studio alongside live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dcease

how to use logic studio alongside live

Post by dcease » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:32 am

alright, first step is to set up the iac driver

next, go to http://www.cycling74.com/downloads/soundflower , and download, follow instructions for install.

once soundflower is installed, go to audio/midi setup, and create an aggregate device

now set your aggregate device up like so:(substitute your interface)

your audio shoud be setup like so

now open live, first. go into preferences, and select aggregate device as your input, select the inputs you want.

setup midi up for iac

i've choose to have 2 audio and 2 midi tracks in this project, setup like so

now open logic. use a blank template for now. create one instrument track, and load an instance of any logic synth, i used sculpture. go into logic's audio preferences, and select aggregate device as the device.

for less confusion, i've set the sculpture channel out to the first soundflower output.

now would be a good time to label logic's i/o, in the mixer view, click otions, and select i/o labels... i've labeled the first soundflower output pair as flower 1 st. remember, the order of the in's and outs in the editor is dependant on the order of the devices in the aggregate device, so if your interface is first, it's i/o will come first, before soundflower.

now select the corresponding input in live, you can drop down the input selector and see which channel it is, by playing a few notes, either as a clip in live, or your midi controller. record enable, and viola! sculpture in live!

after the first time, you should manually load the soundflower app in the apps folder, before opening either program, you will get a little flower icon, in the task bar. here you can route stuff and such. it works, but it can be a headache. don't do while feeling creative...
Last edited by dcease on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:27 am

Mainstage works well for this too. :)

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:54 am

Thanks for describing it so idiotproof. :)
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

xrayfish

Post by xrayfish » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:59 am

Excellent guide, thanks for explaining it so well.

One thing i noticed is that Logic seems to take all midi inputs, I can't see a way to chose them so easily as you can in live.

So when I play a note on my midi keyboard it plays twice, once through Live and thence to Logic through the IAC bus, and once directly in Logic. You'll really notice this if you try to route an arpeggiator in ableton to a logic instrument, it sounds terrible for the first few seconds.

I'm pretty new to logic and obviously no expert, but I found a way to disable the keyboard by <shudder> opening the environment window and disconnecting all the cables which went to the keyboard symbol, and then connecting just the IAC bus. Then all you get is what comes from ableton.

Great tip, thanks!!

ddugan61

Re: how to use logic studio alongside live

Post by ddugan61 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:24 am

After this is all set up, can controller information (such that would apply specifically to a respective Logic instrument ... like rate, LFO, or FM knobs in the EFM1 instrument) be dealt with in Live ?? AND do those "knobs" show up in the ENVELOPES pull down as they do in Reason ??
I'm wanting to make 2 measure, 4 measure etc., guitar loops of my own in Ableton. I see nothing on how to do this. thank you for your time.

FuzzyKeys

Post by FuzzyKeys » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:51 am

I've been trying this out for a little while and so far I've successfully got MIDI from Live to Logic/Mainstage but can't seem to route an audio signal to Logic and then back to Live. Any help?

esaruoho

Post by esaruoho » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:35 am

FuzzyKeys wrote:I've been trying this out for a little while and so far I've successfully got MIDI from Live to Logic/Mainstage but can't seem to route an audio signal to Logic and then back to Live. Any help?
Do you not want to use Logic as your ReWire Master and Live as your ReWire Slave? This would allow you to use Logic for audio inputs of external gear, have that Aux talk to Soundflower.. Hang on, I guess that disables Live's inputs if it is in ReWire Slave mode..

If you want to just sync them via Midi, but also send out Audio, you'd be wanting to have an Audio Track in Live, which is configured to send to AggregateDevice's specific channel (which would be the one you use for SoundFlower), and then have Logic configured to patch Soundflower through into an audiotrack/Aux Inst Object.

This would allow you to process outboard audio via Live AND Logic and sample it in both. You'd be configuring the Aux Instrument in Logic to send to a specific audio-output port again, and for that I suppose you'd be using the SoundFlower 16ch instrument and making sure you don't match the ports with Live's currently-in-use soundflower port unless if you like feedback.. ( I'd expect at least I'd get some feedback during the creation of this audio workflow, so adjust the volume accordingly )..
Hope this helps.