triggers grid for clips

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
julienb

triggers grid for clips

Post by julienb » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:29 am

hi,

I'm using 8 tracks + 5 scenes for each song.
I would like to map this 8x5 grid to midi controller (or keyboard azertyu...) in order to trigger each clips ..etc etc.

BUT

of course, in my live perf, I have more than 1 song.
I would like to make an offset of my mapped grid to each song.

Is it natively possible? or may I use an interface between live & my controller/keyboard like Bome Translator (with rules & complex sequences) or Max/MSP etc .?

any ideas ?
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:11 pm

There are many ways to do this...do you have a specific controller in mind?

julienb

Post by julienb » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:12 pm

I'll use a PC keyboard for that, for the moment.

I just want to know how to offset my grid..
Julien Bayle

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Well, I could do this in Max (with midi, I don't use keymapping):

1) Choose the grid of buttons you want.

2) Choose a series of modifier buttons. Each button corresponds to one degree of offset.

3) Set up your Max patch so that when you press a certain button, Max transmits on a certain channel into Live. Then you have 16 channels of possiblity.

julienb

Post by julienb » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:36 pm

hi chrysalis33rpm,
thanks for the answer.
I did that.
I think I won't be able to avoid Pure DAta or Max patches for perform live... grrrr..

I'm dreaming a only-solution way ! but, I have to write that Ab Live made 98% of all my stuff!
Julien Bayle

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:23 pm

You could make a home made controller with a midi kit from doepfer (CTM 64).
I made my own.
For the offset thing, easy to to with doepfer if you only have two positions.
Orelse you could switch the midi channel, but the way the MTC64 works for selecting channels would make you scratch your brain, but it's definitly possible.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

julienb

Post by julienb » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:52 pm

max/msp does the job...

just began the patch...
but :evil: it is not native... grrrr

I'll add it to the little patch used as a companion of live while performing ;)
I'd like to kill this companion ;) and only use live!

and I cannot offset my grid easily.
Ok, I could assigned ALL clip slot to CC. and offset the grid in Max.
But if I have 5 scenes per song and 8 tracks (40 CC per song) and 15 songs => 15 x 40 = 600 CC... okay, I'm sure I'm very stupid but it is very hardcore to do that ;-)

any other ideas ??
Julien Bayle

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:01 am

up.?
Julien Bayle

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:32 pm

so i just read this post (and that other one in the original thread), and im not sure you are doing what i want, but i think its the same principle.

with that said, i was about to ask the maxmsp wizards for help (since i again gave up on maxmsp because i realised that i do indeed suck at it anyways), but i figured that i could aswell take it in here instead since its the same principle kind of (i think anyways?).

heres my setup:

mix + fx - A song - B song - A rpt - B rpt - Dry - Loop 1 - Loop 2 - Loop 3.

now currently i have my contorller set up so that it launches a scene when i hit a button, and then if i want to launch individual clips etc, i have to scroll around using my navigational rotaries, select the clipslot i want to launch, then hit the "enter" midi button; hardly a fast and convenient of working with clips.

what id like to do is to assign my qwerty keyboard like this (for example):

E = A song.
R = B song.
T = A rpt.
Y = B rpt.
U = Dry.
D = Loop 1.
F = Loop 2.
G = Loop 3.

so that when i hit the qwerty key, it will launch the clip in the corresponding clipslot/track.

now, this works by assigning it in live, but only for those clips in the same scene i just keyboard mapped., but what i want is to be able to select any scene, say scene 12, and hit Y and it will launch what is currently in the B rpt clipslot on scene 12, and the same goes for any scene. scene 5, hit D, and it will launch the clip on track Loop 1, scroll to scene 48 and hit G and it will launch the clip on track Loop 3, and so on.

im assuming this is what you were trying to do aswell, and if its not then im sorry for a potentional thread hijack. also if its not, could anyone help me out with a pd/max patch, because i have no idea how to do that really.

this would mean that i could have my qwerty keyboard as a clip launcher, and launch scenes with my controller, then scroll to the next/whichever scene and bring in individual clips from that scene without any monster keybind setup, quick fast and extremely easy to work with. also its perfect for on the fly mashups/breakdowns and build ups.
anyone up for it?

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:57 pm

From what i understand you want to do, couldnt you just assign the qwerty keys to they clip launcher for each track?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:09 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:From what i understand you want to do, couldnt you just assign the qwerty keys to they clip launcher for each track?
nope. if i assign say 1-9 on my qwerty to tracks 1-9 on scene 1for example, then scroll down to scene two, i want to use 1-9 to launch the clips on scene two, but with live as it is now they will be fixed to scene 1.

i could however assign another 9 keyboard keys to scene two, but that doesnt solve my problem at all. i want a fixed keyboard grid layout, and use that to launch whatever is one my current selected scene, rather then having to assign one keyboard key per clip, and scene.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:18 am

midi channels sounds like the easiest way, if you have 16 songs or less..

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:38 am

friend_kami wrote:
mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:From what i understand you want to do, couldnt you just assign the qwerty keys to they clip launcher for each track?
nope. if i assign say 1-9 on my qwerty to tracks 1-9 on scene 1for example, then scroll down to scene two, i want to use 1-9 to launch the clips on scene two, but with live as it is now they will be fixed to scene 1.

i could however assign another 9 keyboard keys to scene two, but that doesnt solve my problem at all. i want a fixed keyboard grid layout, and use that to launch whatever is one my current selected scene, rather then having to assign one keyboard key per clip, and scene.
Fail.

Don't assign them to the clips, you assign them to the track launch button. Then whatever scene you have highlighted, the same QWERTY keys will then launch all respective clips on that scene. I just did it, it works perfect.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:16 am

not really a grid

that's a moveable line...

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:25 am

longjohns wrote:not really a grid

that's a moveable line...
From what i got from friendkami, he just wants to fire off clips in the highlighted scene. Is this right? If so use the method sparklepuff and i mentioned works. if he wants a moveable grid...

for a moveable grid you can prob do with bomes( since you mentioned max isnt your thing ). Max will def do this, as i used to use something like this for my old sets using Max and mackie control. Very basic stuff in max, actually the mackie grid thing i mentioned was my first project in max...