One Stomp looper revisted

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
logman

One Stomp looper revisted

Post by logman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks to the work of motherbrain5000 and Tone Deft, I decided to develop the one stomp pedal looper into a rack. I still needed a second track to help quantise the loop end though.

Here You Go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8gmzyhd8dxc

Instructions:

1. Create 1 midi yoke, IAC line or use a cable from a MIDI in port to a MIDI out port.

2. In Preferences, MIDI/Sync set the Input to Remote, and the Output to track.

3. In Preferences, Record/Launch/Warp, Check that "Select on Launch" and "Select Next Scene on launch" are off.

4. Check any External Instrument devices to make sure the MIDI channel matches the Title bar of the device.

5. Check the Play track is set to channel 2.

6. Use the chain selector to choose between manual and Quantised loop recording. Loop lengths ought to match the global quantisation settings.

7. Assign your pedal/key/note to the Pedal clip.

8. Arm all the Loop tracks.

9. Click on a clip in the scene where you want to start recording.

10. Start stomping - it's ok to stomp to start another clip whilst one is recording, BUT don't stomp again before a loop starts recording.

Three things I found out whilst working on this.

Midi devices in a chain still send midi through an external instrument MIDI out, even though the chain is muted. This is inconsistent with a MIDI-only track, which stops sending midi to the port when the track activator is off.

There needs to be at least a demisemiquaver delay between arming a track and starting a recording on that track in session view. I was trying to arm a track and record at the same time - no luck.

Opening a live set with the tracks all armed, but not monitoring briefly allowed some of the audio input signal through. It could be a problem with my audio interface, but I've left all the tracks unarmed.

Please let me know if this works for you.

logman

I forgot to mention

Post by logman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:30 am

Live 7 only.

logman

Any feedback

Post by logman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:45 am

Does it work? Is it useful?

logman

So....

Post by logman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:33 pm

I guess it's perfect or absolutely useless....

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:14 pm

Hey man...I'll give it a try soon. I downloaded it right away last week but I had to wrestle Session Drums and rewire because they were giving me project problems. That took most of my time and energy...plus my Western Digital HD shit the bed too.

Thanks for the time you put into it. I'll try to give it a whirl in the next two days or so. I'm a little behind schedule in my work.
15" MBP 2.5 gHz, 4 GB, OSX 10.5.6, M-Audio FW-410, Axiom 49, Trigger Finger, Line6 POD XT, Live 7, PTMP 8

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:05 pm

good work logman! i've got it running on mac here using IAC instead of Yoke and it works great, similar to Tone Deft's version but with added reset (thanks!), but some short explaination text file would be helpful, as i'm unsure whether i've set it up correctly. i just record-armed all the loop track channels, but the 3 main chain names - manual/quantised/arming - made me think thats not the way i should do it...?

logman

Post by logman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:20 am

Yes, that's the correct set-up.

I had added info texts so when you place your mouse over any of the chains, you should see the information explaining the two chains. Manual is for starting and stopping recording manually with quantisation. Quantisation is to record loops equal to the quantisation value. Arming was just an attempt at arming the tracks just before recording on them to save a little processing, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

logman

Does the info view work on a mac?

Post by logman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:38 am

Let me know

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:23 am

yea the comments are there. just didn't see them. cheers.

KU

Post by KU » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:00 am

thank you

i can't wait to play with this

misteron

Post by misteron » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm not getting something.
I followed the Tone Deft versionnp but this isn't working for me.
It seems straight forward enough and I've veen over all the settings.

Why does the play track need to be set to channel 2?
And btw, if the 3rd chain doesn't work do I need it to be there?

logman

I hope this explains it

Post by logman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:34 am

The arming chain doesn't need to be there - it was a concept that didn't work since one cannot arm and start a track recording simultaneously.

The extra channel is to prevent Midi feedback (particularly when constructing) and perhaps to keep things tidier in my head - I think you could use different zones of the keyboard to the same effect, but you'll have to be more careful putting the MIDI mapping together. It also made it easy to make a rack that had manual and fixed loop chains in it.

KU

Post by KU » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:03 am

:D :D :D

Thank you for making this. Building the concept into a rack is beautiful and I love the Reset function. I finally got the "Quantised" function to work when realized that the midi channels must be different for the Play Yoke and Record Yoke chains. :oops:

Using larger 2 Bars and 4 Bars Global Quantisation is a little tricky with the Quantised chain because you have to stomp/trigger in multiples of that setting. Example= If you have 4 Bars Global Quantisation, then stomp within bar 6, it won't begin recording until the bar 9! That makes sense, but I don't like it and I don't see how it can be fixed.

also, the demisemiquaver you mention can be obtained with Bomes MTC pro, by routing the Midi Yoke 1 through it and applying a delay between the arm and record notes. I have not tried this though.