BEATPORT to cut 600 labels

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
90's child

BEATPORT to cut 600 labels

Post by 90's child » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:41 am

Wow that does seem like alot of fat to trim. But s'posse it makes sense to remove stuff that just isn't selling/good enough. Still though 600 does seem rather alot of labels :?

j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:20 am

I think the net is just flooded to the rim with music. If you want to be a website store you need to have a rep for getting people to the very best of what is around and fast...

other wise, you are like myspace, or reverbnation. so many artists, and few who get attention.

Like me.. but I suck at this music thing...

8) 8)
too many lasers...

j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:29 am

and also I just took a trip by beatport.com

I played a few tracks... sigh, I was bored... sounds to me like yesterdays music...

maybe I am nutz
too many lasers...

j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:29 am

double post...
too many lasers...

90's child

Post by 90's child » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:32 am

What category did you listen too? The minimal house top 10 I find poor but when you categorize your search I think its the best digi store on the net. In terms of house.

j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:59 am

I dunno, I like Trackitdown.net

and Juno is starting to sell mp3s...

actually I really think for more experimental hardstyle, or deeper darker and harder trance you have to really look fucking hard...

Also, I think making a whole dj set out of what is on beat port, and or trackitdown is not too slick anyways. sure you have to play great tracks, from great producers... but.. its not so experimental... you wind up at shows where everybody is playing the same tunes garnered from these sites... I dunno.. I am just wondering where dance music is going in general nowadays...

I am sick to death. I want more white noise. weird sounds. other sequences... but it seems to me, in every track produced nowadays the kick drum is so so so so so so so upfront in the mix... its giving me a fucking headdache...

maybe " the scene has changed " and I am just not growing or changing with it... actually I have heard that before...

but then the other possibility is that the scene just needs some serious changing
too many lasers...

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:07 am

j2j wrote:the scene just needs some serious changing
why? .. i dont see a shortage of people going out and enjoying clubs and current music..

:idea:

timothyallan

Re: BEATPORT to cut 600 labels

Post by timothyallan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:15 am

90's child wrote:Wow that does seem like alot of fat to trim. But s'posse it makes sense to remove stuff that just isn't selling/good enough. Still though 600 does seem rather alot of labels :?

Yoiks! Is there a list?

*madly contacts his labels*

j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:16 am

sweetjesus wrote:
j2j wrote:the scene just needs some serious changing
why? .. i dont see a shortage of people going out and enjoying clubs and current music..

:idea:
I guess it depends where you are, and how you feel.

I am just not so thrilled listening to the hard trance, or the hadstyle on beatport and track it down... and in miami its all drum and bass, or breaks, or up top its house, and club trance...

actually banging club trance I really enjoy. Maybe its my monitors... when I check out these tracks on beatport and track it down. to me they sound lifeless.

not all of them. but many of them.

maybe that is why beat port is kicking 600 labels...

either way. I would like more experimental sounds in electronica... but its possible I am just flat out wrong..
too many lasers...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:29 am

The person who said there is too much music and a saturated market is correct.

There are probably thousands of digital downloads on beatport and MANY OTHER similar online stores that have barely sold a dozen copies or less and many of them haven't sold a copy for months.

Too many artists releasing music and thinking there is money in it - Only a very small percentage of musicians can sell music online and make a profit at it and usually they are the ones who have built up a great live following and who put a lot of time and effort into producing good music that is mixed well and mastered and put a lot of time and effort into promoting it.

That is the downside to cheap, affordable digital recording technology. These days some chancer with a cracked copy of Fruity Loops and a sample CD thinks they are a 'Producer' and they proceed to rip off something that everybody is sick of hearing, mix it badly, don't master it and then try and sell it at every bloody online music store they can muster. Promotion is by spamming your Myspace or Soundclick.

When I was growing up and all we could afford was 4 track tape recorders, we realized when a DEMO is a DEMO and never claimed to be producers. We submitted our DEMOS to many people, got many rejection letters and only those working their butts off to build up an audience got noticed and subsequently made a CD or vinyl album. Sometimes I wish we could go back to this model instead of the web being flooded with crap.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

90's child

Re: BEATPORT to cut 600 labels

Post by 90's child » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:31 am

timothyallan wrote:
90's child wrote:Wow that does seem like alot of fat to trim. But s'posse it makes sense to remove stuff that just isn't selling/good enough. Still though 600 does seem rather alot of labels :?

Yoiks! Is there a list?

*madly contacts his labels*

Yes it's true- if you're on there- and you don't generate $300+ in revenues over a quarter, you're booted. Seems fair to me.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:34 am

So it's purely financial. That makes sense...

I'm lucky I generate between $150,000 and $60 million a year for the various labels I'm on, it's an honest living.

90's child

Post by 90's child » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:44 am

leedsquietman wrote:The person who said there is too much music and a saturated market is correct.

There are probably thousands of digital downloads on beatport and MANY OTHER similar online stores that have barely sold a dozen copies or less and many of them haven't sold a copy for months.

Too many artists releasing music and thinking there is money in it - Only a very small percentage of musicians can sell music online and make a profit at it and usually they are the ones who have built up a great live following and who put a lot of time and effort into producing good music that is mixed well and mastered and put a lot of time and effort into promoting it.

That is the downside to cheap, affordable digital recording technology. These days some chancer with a cracked copy of Fruity Loops and a sample CD thinks they are a 'Producer' and they proceed to rip off something that everybody is sick of hearing, mix it badly, don't master it and then try and sell it at every bloody online music store they can muster. Promotion is by spamming your Myspace or Soundclick.

When I was growing up and all we could afford was 4 track tape recorders, we realized when a DEMO is a DEMO and never claimed to be producers. We submitted our DEMOS to many people, got many rejection letters and only those working their butts off to build up an audience got noticed and subsequently made a CD or vinyl album. Sometimes I wish we could go back to this model instead of the web being flooded with crap.

its definitely true...

COPIED FROM ANOTHER FORUM WHO ARE ALSO TALKING ABOUT THIS:-

a song that is #1 on the sales chart on stompy sells 200 to maybe 700 or 1000 at the most? its always different of course....but on beatport I've sold close to 1400 of a remix of a particular song just on that one site in 2 months, and it only got up to 33-49 on the main chart.

so obviously the top 10 songs are selling a few thousand at least

and also, as said before, i dont know anything about 600 labels, but they've had the "must make $200 per quarter" rule the whole time. so im sure they drop plenty of labels that underperform

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:49 am

I respect anyone who can make a living out of selling tunes through digital downloads, it takes a lot of time and effort to produce quality that lasts.

If your music is not a quality song with a quality production, it will not sell. All the BS promotion and spamming in the world will not sustain sales.

It is probably better that Beatport do take that approach, keeping the site for the leaner, meaner material that is worth paying for.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:54 am

What I am trying to say is if you go to a party, and hear somebody spin " Monochrome " for the 18 millionth time, just because computers make it so easy to spin and beatmatch. its really kinda fucking... whatever..

nobody dances, and nobody gets into it.

Am I the only one who knows of parties that just have bombed recently?

I am not talking about MegA clubs in Ibiza, and LondoN, and New York, and MiaMI etc...

I am not talking about PVD and Tiesto.. I mean, the underground...

AH perfect example.. and I hope the people involved are just not on the ableton forums...

I recently know of a party.. Thrown buy a mid level miami promoter, they flew in some known dj's from the UK, one of was like Alan Holdworth. who is like a protege of Carl Cox... and the Party bombed. ReallY, nobody wanted to show up for that vibe.

Why???

Because there is a huge difference, between a club where dj''s are spinning well selected tracks, from A, producers they know personally, or B, from the record label that is throwing the party, or C, From a small selection of the world top producers...

and the other club where

people are spinning randomly bought mp3s from beatport, and track it down. and etc...

There is a huge difference...

We are really in a strange mindset. 90 percent of the people Feel, music should not be bought. but should be freely available.

If you have ever been to a website like Jamendo.com there whole idea, is that artists should comply with the new behavior of the internet and give away their music for free... and there are tons of sites like this.

Now sites like this, and sites like beatport are fighting it out.

I don't know what the answer is. but is like, everybody with a computer and a net connection. is a fucking record label right now.

So...
too many lasers...