Clip Envelopes on live input recording?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
steve-o

Clip Envelopes on live input recording?

Post by steve-o » Thu May 20, 2004 7:11 pm

Hey All,

Is there anyway to use clip envelopes on live input recording? So I can sequence filter cutoff for example on a a track armed for input monitorign or recording? Specifically, I want to use live as an effects box for a clavia micro modular, playing the micro in real time and having Live react in realtime and in sync as well.

Thanks for anyhelp!!!

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Thu May 20, 2004 7:59 pm

Clip envelopes, FX, Warps, and all other processing of sound in Live is added to the raw wave after the fact. for example, if you have an input track recording audio and you have a bunch of FX on that track, even though you are recording the audio and hearing it through the fx you are still actually only recording the unprocessed audio. so afterwards if you turn off the fx in that track you will hear the audio without any of the fx. does that make sense? same goes for Clip envelopes. you must first record the audio into Live. then you can apply Clip Envelopes and whatnot. you can also remove all of them and be right back to your original wave. the only way to record processed audio INTO Live would be to say, first record your audio in applying whatever fx and envelopes you want. then set one of Live's inputs to Master Out. now solo and play the processed clip and you'll now have the processed audio in one piece. i don't know if i'm explaining this well. the short answer is Live can can only apply envelopes to audio you've already recorded. hope that makes sense.

Post by Guest » Thu May 20, 2004 8:32 pm

steve-o,

no there is not currently a way to record the effect tweaks live as you are playing your clip that is being recorded, tj's right. After the fact, you can draw and automate things in the clip view, but that's not too helpful in a live situation either.

My proposition is that Live first of all support midi mapping to clip view parameters (or in the case of effects, that the clip veiw recognize effect parameter midi assignments on the track where the clip resides). Second, and maybe even more important (at least live) is that there could be another somewhat "global" clip parameter record button (i.e. in the transport next to the pencil) that one could turn on (midi mappablity to this button would be nice). Once you turn this "global clip parameter" record button on, all of the effect, pan, volume, transpostion, etc. tweaks you make to clips that are playing would get recorded as clip automation. So, one could record a session clip in one pass, and as it starts to loop on the second pass, one could start to record effect and parameter tweaks, so that by the third (or maybe fourth) time through, you could have a clip that has all of those tweaks automated. Per Boysen made an great suggestion that maybe this recordable clip automation could be longer than the clip itself (i.e. instead of one pass through the clip of automation, two, or three, or....). Maybe the clip view could contain a series of numbered boxes (1,2,3,4,...) or data entry box (like the tempo box) where you could specify how many passes through the clip you of automation that you wish to record. Hook us up, ABLETON!

Ryan

Porpy

Post by Porpy » Fri May 21, 2004 1:24 am

Could you perhaps have the output of the recorded track going to sends only, have an autofilter on the send and apply some automation to the send track in the arrange view. Make sure that the send volume on the track is turned up full
Set that area in the arrange view to loop and then play your external signal in.
This way you get the flexibility of clip envelopes (just change your loop length), without the current post-recording editing limitations :)

hope that helps

porpy

Post by Guest » Fri May 21, 2004 3:24 am

when working in a live performance situation, that scenario using the loop mode in arrangeview isn't going to help (me) much, but its a workaround or sorts

Porpy

Post by Porpy » Fri May 21, 2004 3:38 am

I guess it depends on what you use in a Live situation. If you are using the arrange view extensively then I see your point.

If you pretty much only use session view then it works great.

Another choice would be to run a midi program alongside Live (like Numerology on the Mac) and have that controlling your plugin parameters.

regards

porpy