L7 - hands free looping 1 stomp pedal, no external apps

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

L7 - hands free looping 1 stomp pedal, no external apps

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:48 am

Live 7 only.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3be5dlp6gyz
hope the download works, feel free to host.

following on pepezabala's post earlier but I changed it up a bit. up to 11 tracks and an infinite number of scenes. REALLY simple.

turn follow mode off on the clip in the upper left to stomp once for record on, play a bit, stomp again to go into play mode.

when follow mode is on for that clip, stomp once, Live records for a set amount of time then goes right into play mode for that clip. the follow mode length should be at least the length of the global quantise.

set the output of track 1 to midi yoke/IAC, enable TRACK OUT and REMOTE IN for that port. track 1 sends out control for the set. using new L7 feature, there are text notes in a few of the clips and track titles.

options-preferences-record/warp/launch turn SELECT ON LAUNCH to OFF or it won't be able to change scenes.

mad mad mad mad motherfucking shoutout to motherbrain5000 for the audio routing setup, you made a few great posts and disappeared, whoever you are I love you.

and pepezabala for picking up on the rockin round robin clip launching, too cool!!
Last edited by Tone Deft on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ze2be

Re: L7 - hands free looping 1 stomp pedal, no external apps

Post by ze2be » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:05 am

Thanks!!
Tone Deft wrote: set the output of track 1 to midi yoke/IAC, enable TRACK OUT and REMOTE IN for that port. track 1 sends out control for the set. notes are put in a few of the clips and track titles.
Does it require midi yoke?
Last edited by ze2be on Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:06 am

Great!

and yeah, motherbrain5000, we will pay you a drink.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:09 am

ze2be wrote:Thanks!!

it does. DOH!!! the thread title is wrong!! :oops:

I've been using midi yoke for years and have never had any problems with it, it's very lightweight and a great application. I was more thinking of things like Bomes or max/msp. I had previously made a similar thing with max/msp, it worked but I still wanted something simpler.

pepezabala found that the random midi plug in in round robin mode outputs a sequence of notes one at a time and how that could be used to do hands free recording (thanks!!). those notes get sent out midi yoke as control data for Live, triggering the clips. that's the cornerstone of all this.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:13 am

Tone Deft wrote:
ze2be wrote:Thanks!!

it does. DOH!!! the thread title is wrong!! :oops:

I've been using midi yoke for years and have never had any problems with it, it's very lightweight and a great application. I was more thinking of things like Bomes or max/msp. I had previously made a similar thing with max/msp, it worked but I still wanted something simpler.

pepezabala found that the random midi plug in in round robin mode outputs a sequence of notes one at a time and how that could be used to do hands free recording (thanks!!). those notes get sent out midi yoke as control data for Live, triggering the clips. that's the cornerstone of all this.
Aha ok I see, so thats whats in the download file, a midi yoke setting?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:18 am

ze2be wrote:Aha ok I see, so thats whats in the download file, a midi yoke setting?
nope, the Live Project zipped up and ready to go. it's really straightforward.

midi yoke doesn't have settings, it just shows up as a virtual port.

you can literally get the same effect by connecting a midi cable from an out to an in on your sound card. it's fun to make stuff in Live that controls itself, if you're a dork like that.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:21 am

Tone Deft wrote:
ze2be wrote:Aha ok I see, so thats whats in the download file, a midi yoke setting?
nope, the Live Project zipped up and ready to go. it's really straightforward.

midi yoke doesn't have settings, it just shows up as a virtual port.

you can literally get the same effect by connecting a midi cable from an out to an in on your sound card. it's fun to make stuff in Live that controls itself, if you're a dork like that.
Hmm, well ok so its recomended to use midi yoke then! :-) Could you explane how you set it up? Never used that app..

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:27 am

install midi yoke, it shows up in the midi settings, very straightforward. do you have the L7 beta? download the set, you'll see, very simple.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:32 am

great stuff. thanks muchly, pepe and tone.

is there a way to reset the session to the first clip in the Loop1 track, you know, if you mess up and need to start over? i thought it might be possible to do this by turning the 'random' plugin off and on again to reset the scaling, but it remembers where it last was... :?:

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi,

Finally I could try it out and it works great, I only made one change: The first midi clip ("assign to me") was set to global quantize, i set it to "no quantization", otherwise the loops start to record only after two times the global quantization amount.

Timur

Post by Timur » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:05 pm

Thanks alot! :!:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:44 pm

pepezabala wrote:Hi,

Finally I could try it out and it works great, I only made one change: The first midi clip ("assign to me") was set to global quantize, i set it to "no quantization", otherwise the loops start to record only after two times the global quantization amount.
nice one Pepe, thanks! it was sluggish to get going. link updated.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:18 am

This sounds interesting! I can't wait for Live 7. I wonder if I could use my Mac's IAC port to do the same thing as Midi yoke?

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:30 am

Sorry, I should read the OP more carefully :oops:

daniel_grieff

Post by daniel_grieff » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:43 am

Hey ppl, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light over this matter for me.
Im using the IAC and when any command is sent over it Live goes into a spaz for an extended period of time. We're talking about 20 seconds or something, during which I cant do anything inside the program, usually accompanied by the spinning beachball of death....
I dont think its hardware related, im using pretty good stuff: Latest Beta, 10.4 osx, 2gig ram etc...
Any help greatly appreciated!

Dan