64bit?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mmikhjian

64bit?

Post by mmikhjian » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:20 am

I remember seeing somewhere that ableton7 would be on a 64bit engine or so?

Im on windows X64, I wanted to confirm if it is or not.

Aswell, FM8, Massive, Absynth4 dont work on ableton7 / X64 platform.

frahnque

Re: 64bit?

Post by frahnque » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:28 am

mmikhjian wrote:I remember seeing somewhere that ableton7 would be on a 64bit engine or so?

The 64-bit engine is about how the sounds are summed together, it has nothing to do with your platform.
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:05 pm

frahnque wrote:
mmikhjian wrote:I remember seeing somewhere that ableton7 would be on a 64bit engine or so?

The 64-bit engine is about how the sounds are summed together, it has nothing to do with your platform.
Hi,

That's right. Live 7 used 64 bits calculation at every point where the signal is mixing, but the architecture of the program is still 32 bits. We do not officially support 64 bits systems, though it should behave correctly - but not take advantage of the 64 bits architecture.

Regards,
Amaury

EDIT: I'm moving the thread to the General forum, where it'll receive more attention. The "Live 7 beta testing" forum is only for bug reporting in Live 7 beta.
Ableton Product Team

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:32 pm

We do not officially support 64 bits systems, though it should behave correctly - but not take advantage of the 64 bits architecture.
this is interesting, because you see a lot of threads on here about people building new music pcs and wondering about 64-bit architecture vs 32-bit (i know this is not what you're talking about with the 64-bit audio engine)

personally, i went with a 32-bit version of vista which can only see 3 out of my 4gb of RAM, but i'm not sure i'm really upset about it because i don't know if i'd even be able to find 64-bit drivers for my stuff.

sounds like the smarter thing to do might be to wait until people have more time to develop for the 64-bit architecture, ableton included, and then make the jump to vista 64-bit

sorry, i'm talking to myself

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:34 pm

aburgener wrote:
We do not officially support 64 bits systems, though it should behave correctly - but not take advantage of the 64 bits architecture.
this is interesting, because you see a lot of threads on here about people building new music pcs and wondering about 64-bit architecture vs 32-bit (i know this is not what you're talking about with the 64-bit audio engine)

personally, i went with a 32-bit version of vista which can only see 3 out of my 4gb of RAM, but i'm not sure i'm really upset about it because i don't know if i'd even be able to find 64-bit drivers for my stuff.

sounds like the smarter thing to do might be to wait until people have more time to develop for the 64-bit architecture, ableton included, and then make the jump to vista 64-bit

Hi,

True, I think nowadays it's still better to go for a 32 bits architecture, as more products are compatible. And we do not officially support 64 bits architecture.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:47 pm

i know you guys have a lot on your plates with Live 7 right now, but do you expect to fully support 64-bit architectures in future versions of Live 7?

radib

Post by radib » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:12 pm

CnI run the hyper modern 64-Bit on my LCD? Its maximum resolution is 1280x1024 and I´m really not sure. Does it still support my USB 2.0 mouse?
-

"after all it wouldn´t have been possible without the impossible."

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:11 pm

radib - Are you joking or being serious?

radib

Post by radib » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:26 pm

Seriously serious. And worried!
-

"after all it wouldn´t have been possible without the impossible."

mmikhjian

Post by mmikhjian » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:26 pm

Well I am a Windows X64 user (64bit of WindowsXP) and so far I love it. A lot of people think theres going to be a lot of problems, but I haven't had any major problems. I think most of the 32bit drivers worked except a few, which most of them DID have a 64bit driver. Like my M-Audio Firewire Solo..

I originally got winx64 because I used to use Sonar 6 x64 which was awesome, but then I found about ableton and havnt switched back to even any of my other sequencers i used to use,,, flstudio/sonar/cubase/reason.. It would be nice to see a ableton 7 with support for the 64bit tho

blank

Post by blank » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:56 pm

My experience with 64 bits microsoft os and third party drivers was pretty disapointing.

In fact, it was not convincing at all.

Better stay 32 bits for now here
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:32 pm

Amaury wrote:That's right. Live 7 used 64 bits calculation at every point where the signal is mixing, but the architecture of the program is still 32 bits. We do not officially support 64 bits systems, though it should behave correctly - but not take advantage of the 64 bits architecture.
Ok, but it's still a little vague. Maybe it's just me, but I still don't understand the answer to the question.

So platform (64 or 32 bit) doesn't matter. Good to know. But how about PPC vs intel macs. Do PPC still gain the advantage of the new sound engine or not?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:39 pm

icedsushi wrote:
Amaury wrote:That's right. Live 7 used 64 bits calculation at every point where the signal is mixing, but the architecture of the program is still 32 bits. We do not officially support 64 bits systems, though it should behave correctly - but not take advantage of the 64 bits architecture.
Ok, but it's still a little vague. Maybe it's just me, but I still don't understand the answer to the question.

So platform (64 or 32 bit) doesn't matter. Good to know. But how about PPC vs intel macs. Do PPC still gain the advantage of the new sound engine or not?
I'm reading into this NOT.

when you write code you define data types:
x is a bit
y is a byte
num is an 8 bit number
bob is a 32 bit float number
etc.

the emphasis put on 'cross platform compatibility' makes me think they didn't re-write any code to make any of the variables in Live 7 '64 bit floating point', they're the same size as in previous versions of Live.

I'm sure that if one platform had an advantage over another, Ableton would say "now supports new 64 bit processors" and feature it. they're not.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

gomi

Post by gomi » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:43 pm

aburgener wrote:

If you buy a new mac. And install Leopard. You will be fully 64Bit AND 32Bit

at the very same time!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:45 pm

gomi wrote:
aburgener wrote:

If you buy a new mac. And install Leopard. You will be fully 64Bit AND 32Bit

at the very same time!
irrelevant, fanboy.:P there will be no performance difference, at least the way I read all this.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz