Supatrigga - you already know!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jho

Supatrigga - you already know!

Post by jho » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:00 pm

YO You already know!!!

This thang is the BOMB!!! You know it, the next Freak Nasty record will be laden with it... ---- BOOM !

Does it have a GUI interface tho? In live all I get are the little sliders to the side of it. Just wondering... (in osx)

This thang rocks.
J.Ho

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:04 pm

I don't think it does, it just seems to skin itself within the context of each host (I've only tried FL and Live). It does rock, I find mapping the grain size and the rearange probability to the x-y and controlling it with a joystick to be fun times.

Ryan

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:29 pm

people love this thing but no one seems to be able to describe it in actual context, , exactly what does it do and how???????
and most importantly for the un-hip of us, please describe how do you apply it and what the results are.

-stale bread

burgessa23

Post by burgessa23 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:17 am

it's a chopper/stutterer/reverser/silencer

it breaks up the audio stream into 1/2,1/4,1/8,1/16...1/128ths whichever you choose and either repeats,reverses,mutes,or slows down each slice using a probability slider for each option.

it'll turn any 4/4 rock & roll drum loop into f'ing squarepusher!!!

get it here:

http://www.smartelectronix.com/~bram/

-andrew

jho

Post by jho » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:36 am

Also great for messing with vocal loops you can get a ton of scratchin' and mangled effects in tempo with the song, it's way cool once you start messin' with it. Record a bunch then pick out the parts you like and plug them back into the tune...

woopee! I've got a $30,000++ PT system that can't do what this little freeware program does 8)
J.Ho

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:08 am

thanks for the heads up, any special need to knows regarding this plugg in
Live?
also any other interesting plugs that you're just as passionate about??

-stale bread

borg

Post by borg » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:51 am

stale bread wrote: also any other interesting plugs that you're just as passionate about??
check out 'dfx buffer override' on the same site where you can find suppatrigga (see link above). there are tons of great vst's but the buffer override is imo in the same league as suppatrigga, meaning they both add a lot to the 'IDM factor' in my music.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:59 am

i use it exclusively on vocals. get lots of use out of it. surprised it's free.

Nick Maxwell

Post by Nick Maxwell » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:13 pm

Supatrigga is essential to my production process. One other nice thing that I have found with Supatrigga is that although it puts out great sounding cutups effortlessly, you must still have a feel for which takes to keep and where to put them. This retains a bit of the skill that goes into doing cutups like this, which is important in preventing a wretched bandwagon of randomly, "overcut" music coming out. It's not like Supatrigga is a "make totally sweet" button for one's music all on its own; the producer must still ultimately choose whether it sounds good or bad. THis is what qualifies Supatrigga as a real tool that actually takes work to utilize to its fullest potential, as opposed to some passing fad.

As another user said, just set the probability for each operation to your tastes, set the grain size to determine the insanity factor of the rearranging, and capture a clip of the results. Then, go in and keep the parts that sound like they will work within the context of the track.

this plug is pure genious,

- Nick

Nick Maxwell

Post by Nick Maxwell » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:16 pm

btw, I hope no one takes the above post as me being pompous or pretentious; I am not trying to say that I have some sort of magical skill level that makes me a badass producer. I am just saying that new producers sometimes have a habit of latching onto plugins like this and using them for evil, and not the good kind of evil. No one wants to hear more clone IDM.

- Nick

jho

Post by jho » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:53 pm

It's just one of hundreds of tools in my toolbox. It's not something that you can't live without (I have until recently fwiw ! :))

I made the original post just because I was grinning so much at the time when I was using it. Kinda like a kid with a new toy.

Yeah it's a fun vst but like anything, it takes some skill to know where and when to use, and more importantly when NOT to use...

Buffer override is cool too. I used to manually manufacture all these tricks in Pro Tools, but now many of them are faster to get with these little vsts.
J.Ho

UknowWho

Post by UknowWho » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:01 pm

Oddly enough I prefer Grainstates in Reaktor session.
Nearly all my synthetic guitar parts and cello ,solo strings organs all come from Steampipe also as I find the nuances oddly more realiistic in mix than sampled sources.
Thinking of getting Tassman and ditching samples for virtual models altogether because you can mould some insane hybrids that sound like nothing else but still retain a certain organic-synthetic quality to them.
CYCLONE DXi does a pretty good chop'em and rearrange job also.
Great with your own custom made Acidised .wav files using S'forge.
Freeware though I'd say handsdown CRYSTAL is the best synth I've gotten my mitts for nowt :lol: :wink:

Nick Maxwell

Post by Nick Maxwell » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:24 pm

I use both Reaktor Session and Tassman 3.0, and they are shit-hot. Steampipe ends up getting used more than anything in my compositions as well, but for bowed plate sounds and mallets, Tassman rules the pack.

- Nick

UknowWho

Post by UknowWho » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:46 pm

Thanx for the tip Nick ...
I got reaktor Session because it was $500 AUD as opposed to $1200 AUD for Reaktor 8O :? .
Tassman 3.0 however is a measley $349 AUD which is a damn steal.
Think I'll have to pick that one up.
Thanx...
:D

Nick Maxwell

Post by Nick Maxwell » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:08 pm

I don't know if they are offering it any more, but I got Tassman at a reduced price because they had a Reaktor Session to Tassman crossgrade offer.

have fun!

- Nick