** solution to the moderation issue ** - firefox required

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

** solution to the moderation issue ** - firefox required

Post by forge » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:58 am

So many people request moderation, or an ignore user button, or some kind of solution to the sometimes imbalanced signal to noise ratio and somebody just sent me this method for blocking particular users on the forum so you can, in effect, moderate for yourself

it may not be the most straightforward solution, but it apparently works

How to Remove All Posts From a Forum Troll

Body:

The following is not the most elegant solution, but it does the trick.

1. Install Firefox (http://www.firefox.com) and Greasemonkey (a plug-in that allows for scripts in Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748)

2. Once installed in Firefox and restarted, in the Tools menu, Choose Greasemonkey, then New User Script

3. In the dialog box, Name your script (such as Troll Killer), leave all the other boxes blank except for Includes, where you should put the following, and then hit Ok:

http://*viewtopic.php*

(This line basically makes the script work on all phpbb pages, such as the Ableton Forum.)

4. You might get a dialog box to associate your script with a program...browse to any text editor to associate your scripts to the text editor. An example is C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE

5. In the window that opens up with your blank script, select all and delete.

6. The copy and paste with the following script, and change the word TROLL (it occurs twice) to whatever is the username on the forum that you wish to ignore:

// ==UserScript==
// @name Troll Killer
// @include *viewtopic.php*
// @description Hides all of TROLL's posts
// @exclude
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
var results = document.evaluate("//span[@class='name']/parent::td/parent::tr", document, null, XPathResult.ANY_TYPE, null);

var resultNodes = [];
while (aResult = results.iterateNext()) {
resultNodes.push(aResult);
}
for (var i in resultNodes) {
var nextRow = resultNodes.nextSibling;
while (nextRow.nodeType != 1)
nextRow = nextRow.nextSibling;
nextRow.style.display = 'none';
resultNodes.style.display = 'none';
}
})();

7. Save the file using the text editor's Save function.

8. For each troll use you want to block, just create a new script with a new name per the process above, and edit the TROLL's name.

9. Ignorance is bliss.
Last edited by forge on Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:02 am

Awesome and Thanks Forge

curious - does it block the quotes of "trolls" and how many scripts can be run to say - block multiple "Trolls"

oh sh*t I just realised Forge blocked me already - damn yo

peace

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

forge

Post by forge » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:09 am

djadonis206 wrote:Awesome and Thanks Forge

curious - does it block the quotes of "trolls" and how many scripts can be run to say - block multiple "Trolls"

oh sh*t I just realised Forge blocked me already - damn yo

peace

a
:lol: I'd never block you Adonis :wink:

I only just tried this and I have FF 2.0.0.6 and it told me greasemonkey is not compatible with this version

the latest one listed with the plug-in is 2.0.0.0 - so I guess I will try going backwards

I'm not particularly that bothered about blocking anyone, but I want to try it

forge

Post by forge » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:26 am

forge wrote: I only just tried this and I have FF 2.0.0.6 and it told me greasemonkey is not compatible with this version

the latest one listed with the plug-in is 2.0.0.0 - so I guess I will try going backwards
ok that's weird - someone told me it worked for them so I uninstalled greasmonkey, then reinstalled it now it seems to work

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:40 am

I don't have much interest in blocking anyone or installing firefox, but I'm confused by 'occurs twice'

am I blind?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:41 am

I don't have much interest in blocking anyone or installing firefox, but I'm confused by 'occurs twice'

does the stuff at the beginning (after the //) actually DO things, it's not just comments?

forge

Post by forge » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:29 am

yeah that confused me too - apparently the stuff at the top are comments, so I'm not sure where it is "twice" either

[edit: I just got it to work just by replacing the one TROLL not commented out (comments are prefixed by //)]

I've put a link to this in the tips/tricks thread - hopefully this might curtail a few of the million requests for moderation we get every day

sqook

Post by sqook » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:19 am

longjohns wrote:I don't have much interest in blocking anyone or installing firefox, but I'm confused by 'occurs twice'

does the stuff at the beginning (after the //) actually DO things, it's not just comments?
That's javadoc-style documentation. None of that code actually executes, though.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:28 am

Can I block myself?

I find that I've got very little of any value to add any more, and there's precious little worth reading any more, too. There are some useful appropriate posts, but they're getting harder to find with the huge number of OT posts, most of them without descriptive titles that would otherwise make them easy to avoid.

It would help me to stop wasting time here, and get more productive stuff done!

forge

Post by forge » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 am

hambone1 wrote:Can I block myself?

I find that I've got very little of any value to add any more, and there's precious little worth reading any more, too. There are some useful appropriate posts, but they're getting harder to find with the huge number of OT posts, most of them without descriptive titles that would otherwise make them easy to avoid.

It would help me to stop wasting time here, and get more productive stuff done!
give it a try

let me know if you get sucked into a wormhole

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:37 am

edit -
go to the most recent version of this troll blocker
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 172#521172

replace TROLL1 , TROLL2 (etc) with the troll user names and keep the single quotes around each array entry, you can have as many as you like in there - just keep puttin commas between entries

Code: Select all

----- edited out ------

please use the newer version below, it's better 

------------
as with the original - it doesn't hide quoted text. I'm going to look into hiding anyone who quotes a troll - because basically if you are quoting something one of these guys says ... it's not for me.

Also I'm looking at de-listing any threads in *viewforum.php* which have been started by trolls.

[edit] now done, see below[/edit]
Last edited by Angstrom on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:53 am

That could be useful in eliminating many of the OT threads (a lot of them come from the same users), leaving behind the threads that have something to do with music and Ableton Live.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:44 am

All-in-one troll hider

This version will hide all posts started by trolls in the main forum listings. Also it will hide troll posts in searches including the built in searches like 'show posts since most recent visit'.
It includes the previous script that hides troll comments within topics too. You can de-activate the old scripts as this new one duplicates the function.

To set up, do as before, but make sure to tell greasemonkey to watch all 3 pages 'search' , 'viewforum' and 'viewtopic'.

How : to add pages go to tools->greasemonkey->manage user scripts, select the new script and in the panel 'inclued pages' hit add, and add these.

http://*search.php?*
http://*viewtopic.php?*
http://*viewforum.php?*

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name troll killer in main forum listings and in topics
// @include *viewforum.php?*  *viewtopic.php?* *search.php?*
// @description Hides all of the troll posts in the forum list, searches and topics
// @exclude
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
trollarray=['TROLLNAME1','TROLLNAME2'];

for (var n in trollarray){
var listingresults = document.evaluate("//span[@class='name'][a='"+trollarray[n]+"']/parent::td/parent::tr", document, null, 

XPathResult.ANY_TYPE, null);

var topicresults = document.evaluate("//span[@class='name'][b='"+trollarray[n]+"']/parent::td/parent::tr", document, null, 

XPathResult.ANY_TYPE, null);

var resultNodes = [];
while (aResult = listingresults.iterateNext()) {
}
while (aResult = topicresults.iterateNext()) {
}

for (var i in resultNodes) {
var nextRow = resultNodes[i].nextSibling;
while (nextRow.nodeType != 1)
nextRow = nextRow.nextSibling;
nextRow.style.display = 'none';
resultNodes[i].style.display = 'none';
}
}
})(); // ==/UserScript==

enter those troll names and now try a search or looking at the general listings for your troll. There may be a brief flicker of them while the page loads then ... gone !

:D

I could probably make it a bit more efficient, but this will do for now.

rozling

Post by rozling » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:18 pm

Super-sweet awesome! Thanks guys :D

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:45 pm

HEY!!!!

It works!!!!

problem though - I can still see certain members names on the main board but their posts are gone - I love it!!!!!!

yet, a couple other names are gone for good

so curious - if I'm doing something wrong here

1- I can see certain members names but can't see their posts

2- the other 2 members are just completely gone

I don't know if I like Firefox though :(
Ableton | Elektron

Music