Global Groove function

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Global Groove function

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:29 am

This idea is probably a little too crazy or impossible to implement. But I was thinking it would be cool to have some sort of Global Groove functionality that would allow you to effect all of the warp markers that fall on a certain beat. In other words you could pull back beats 2 & 4 and all of the warpmarkers that fall on those beats would adjust to that groove. I suppose the interface for this would be basically a one-measure window with warp markers that you could push and pull forward & back in time. Numerology has something like this in the global clock module.

To expand on the idea further it would be cool if there were multiple "grooves" available so that for example the bass drum and bass tracks could be synced to "groove 1" which is pushing the downbeat. Then other tracks could be synced to a different groove channel or none at all. Of course having presets available would make it even more powerful.

Any thoughts?

Jinsai

I'm down...

Post by Jinsai » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:52 am

I'm generally of the opinion that there should be more global warp controls in Ableton that would allow you to instantly warp beats in the typical ways... but then again, we might be treading dangerously into the gray area where it all becomes too easy... There are somethings that are best left up to personal touch... I personally don't care too much for Fruity Loops because I feel like that program does way too much for you, allowing people who have no idea what they're doing to churn out impressive sounding tracks... I get scared of the possibility of hte computer making the music more than the musician... Oh well, I'm getting all tangential and stuff now...

salt

Global Groove

Post by salt » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:02 am

Surely groove would be p*ss easy to implement, live handles tempo changes effortlessly, and it's just a case of tiny, regular ones.
Some good presets would be a must, and it would be great to be able to extract grooves from an audio file (maybe by placing warp markers on every significant hit, e.g. from a drum loop).
This would be useful both for performance and for using live for studio loop manipulation.
As it is, I sometimes use live to get a load of different loops grooving together, but to get them all sitting in the 'groove' of one of those loops would be amazing, and it looks like it would all be basic stuff for that wonderful warp engine![/i]
Orion Edgar
Salt DJs

montrealbreaks

Re: Global Groove

Post by montrealbreaks » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:16 pm

salt wrote: As it is, I sometimes use live to get a load of different loops grooving together, but to get them all sitting in the 'groove' of one of those loops would be amazing, and it looks like it would all be basic stuff for that wonderful warp engine![/i]
My current method for getting grooves together is laborious - I use Recycle, and chop my favourite samples into bits. I extract the midi map from them, apply it to another rex file in cubase, quantize it, and export the new one as a loop. Then, the sample gets imported into Live, and FINALLY it has the right groove.

I COULD theoretically set warp markers to do that for me, but I find that to set a slight shuffle I would have to put the warp markers before the obvious transients - and that takes guesswork. When you are working with three or four different loops with three or four different grooves, this gets ridiculous. I would REALLY be interested in a global shuffle and swing setting that would apply relative changes to the warp markers.

Alternatively, if LIVE could import REX files, and just interpret the rex file as an audio loop where the cuts are pre-defined warp markers, that would be a solid plus.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:25 pm

There is a kind of workaround, if you Control click the "off" beat's warp markers you can multi select them all, you then zoom right in on any one of them and use Nudge left/right until they all groove along nicely. I apologise if you know this already, I only discovered you can do this recently, It could of saved myself a fair few hours of work on many occasions!

montrealbreaks

Re: Global Groove

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:42 pm

salt wrote:... Some good presets would be a must, and it would be great to be able to extract grooves from an audio file (maybe by placing warp markers on every significant hit, e.g. from a drum loop).
BUMP :mrgreen:

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

handojin

Post by handojin » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:14 pm

bumpidy bump

:D good job with all the bumps montreal... i see what your up to here.. hopefully the folks here @ ableton listen to us :)

anybody remember q tool from old cubase vst? while where talking cool features from older programs

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:50 am

Bump (again).

Hey Abes, pay attention to us!!!

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:40 pm

Again, I've waited since September to bump this, so here it is.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Mon May 22, 2006 11:03 pm

monthly bump.

hydrogen

Post by hydrogen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:58 pm

yeh... groove functions please.