why do clip envelopes start at 100% ?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Daim

why do clip envelopes start at 100% ?

Post by Daim » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:54 am

hi.. i was wondering why all the clip envelopes are at 100% by default..

when i want to add an automation with a clip envelope for a highpass in kontakt for example, where the start position should be at the lowest value, i have to copy the clip to arrangment view and then move up the value of the parameter there in order to be able to use the clip envelope..

for those who didnt understand that now the short version:

why aint the clip envelopes in the middle position by default but at the top position instead..?
Last edited by Daim on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daim

Post by Daim » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:57 am

by the way its like that for many versions now and i think its the no1 midi workflow killer in live

sweetjesus

Re: why do clip envelopes start at 100% ?

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:59 am

Daim wrote:hi.. i was wondering why all the clip envelopes are at 100% by default..

when i want to add an automation with a clip envelope for a highpass in kontakt for example, where the start position should be at the lowest value, i have to copy the clip to arrangment view and then move up the value of the parameter there in order to be able to use the clip envelope..

for those who didnt uderstand that the short version:

why aint the clip envelopes in the middle position by default but at the top position instead..?
i hear ya bro

but like what if its in the middle and you take it to the lowest, that acts as only half of the current resolution to make your adjustments in

what i do if im stuck in a situation like yours is move the clip envelope to the mid point, then tweak my effect so it sounds the same as it did before i moved the clip envelope

once i have that relative offset i can start drawing in clip envelope stuff moving upwards of my starting point.

Daim

Post by Daim » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:07 pm

yes i did it that way too but its really a mess in many plugins to get back to the exact position u had before, and always saving a preset is killing the workflow as well

if it was in the middle there was only the half of the steps into both directons, true. but i still consider the middle position as default more usefull because there are much more use cases (actually more than 50% haha) where it would be used.

if it was at the bottom it was the same shit if u want to tweak to the opposite direction.

Daim

Post by Daim » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:10 pm

in other words.. i would prefer having less steps into both directions by default instead of only having one direction at all

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Daim wrote:in other words.. i would prefer having less steps into both directions by default instead of only having one direction at all
good one

well i rekon chuck it in feature requests

if i forget to also add a +1 remind me id like to see that too :)

Daim

Post by Daim » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:52 pm

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:44 pm

it takes some getting used to, but i actually really like that clip envelopes are relative.

but i don't see any reason that the abes couldn't make absolute envelopes an option.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Daim

Post by Daim » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:09 pm

the problem is not that they are relative but that the start position is useless for most applications since most knobs are turned from min to max in order to affect the signal.