Midi response/latency gets sloooow at high cpu/disk loads?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
muthafunka

Midi response/latency gets sloooow at high cpu/disk loads?

Post by muthafunka » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:40 pm

Is it me or does midi latency ie time from hitting note/pad to sound coming out start to increase drastically as cpu load rises? Still not sure if it's a sound/plug-specific thing or general, inclined to think it's general. Start a fresh, empty track and the slop is gone.
Last edited by muthafunka on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nod

Re: Midi response/latency gets sloooow at high cpu loads?

Post by Nod » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:00 pm

muthafunka wrote:Is it me or does midi latency ie time from hitting note/pad to sound coming out start to increase drastically as cpu load rises? Still not sure if it's a sound/plug-specific thing or general, inclined to think it's general. Start a fresh, empty track and the slop is gone.
I posted this a while back - but no one else seems to have noticed the increasing latency....

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:46 am

Think you're right Nod, I'm going to go check, basically gets unusable :cry:

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:55 am

Did a little testing with this, doesn't seem to be cpu-related as Nod says, got up to 116% with vsti/fx, sound was all squirrely BUT the Impulse instrument I was testing on seemed to be responding properly.
Next step was to load about 160 audio tracks into a new song, couldn't get the disk light to show, using samples from either the main OS drive or my audio drive, no probs with the same Impulse.
Loaded up a song I noticed was getting slushy and found that the Impulse played fine but I got a BIG lag on an external Jomox Airbase triggered through Live with audio coming back into Live, AND for some reason the disc light is coming on when I play the notes. Still trying to fathom what this all means but I'm glad it's not just me. Seriously, has no-one else found midi responsiveness going kaput as they get further into a composition? Well flaky bizniss guv'nor

Nod

Post by Nod » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:37 pm

muthafunka wrote:Did a little testing with this, doesn't seem to be cpu-related as Nod says, got up to 116% with vsti/fx, sound was all squirrely BUT the Impulse instrument I was testing on seemed to be responding properly. Next step was to load about 160 audio tracks into a new song, couldn't get the disk light to show, using samples from either the main OS drive or my audio drive, no probs with the same Impulse.
Loaded up a song I noticed was getting slushy and found that the Impulse played fine but I got a BIG lag on an external Jomox Airbase triggered through Live with audio coming back into Live, AND for some reason the disc light is coming on when I play the notes. Still trying to fathom what this all means but I'm glad it's not just me. Seriously, has no-one else found midi responsiveness going kaput as they get further into a composition? Well flaky bizniss guv'nor
Nice one on the testing Mutha....I wasn't actually sure, and still ain't lol, whether it's a CPU/RAM/Disk Load issue. One thing I have noticed however is that the realtime monitoring of Live 4.x was waaay better and more responsive than Live 5.x (haven't upgraded to 6 as yet) even with the exact same settings/low ASIO buffers in both apps. Both still display the same issues on large projects with 3rd party VSTi's (as opposed to Live's internal plugs). Even when playback is stopped to reduce any system load the latency is almost unplayable.

Anyone else got input/workarounds on the issue? Preferably not encouraging my clients to start writing 4 channel minimal minimalism of course :)