Remote SL 25 (OS 2.5) and latest Ableton Automap

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jyang

Remote SL 25 (OS 2.5) and latest Ableton Automap

Post by jyang » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:04 pm

Hey

I have just upgraded my Novation Remote SL 25 to the latest OS - 2.5, and have dumped and saved the ableton template that came with it... I am trying to setup the tap tempo and the tempo encoder to control Live, through the EXT button and using the MIDI sync... The EXT (IN) indicator flashes with the taptempo light flash on the SL (anc changes with it too), but it doesn't seem to change the tempo when I tap a new tempo... Same with using the tempo rotary encoder - it doesn't work either... Only within the SL...The tempo control is supposed to turn 'greyed out' when you activate the EXT button, but that doesn't seem to be happening.... I have followed all the instructions provided...

Surely people are using the tap tempo and encoder with LIve with the SL.... Can anybody suggest what I might be doing wrong? Or is there a better template I should be using?

Also, the drum pads are supposed to also be automatically assigned to the impulse kits that are loaded.. this isn't the case either... hmmm.

Thanks in advance.
Jeremy.
"One need not fear the future of music..." JC

djc

Post by djc » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:50 pm

did you do the new ableton automap flash? you can do it on your by not c3 and up. i haven't messed with the tempo thing yet so i can't help you out with that.
http://www.youtube.com/djcoolssm
http://www.twitter.com/coolssm

Live 8, E-mu 1616m, Emu Px-7, Krk Rp-5's, Ventura guitar, Korg D1200, Emax keyboard, many plugins, intel quad core q6600 processor, WinXP Pro, 500b hd, and 2gb's of ram.

djc

Post by djc » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:52 pm

bomes's midi translator for pc and midipipe i think for a mac to do the flash upgrade with the remote.
http://www.youtube.com/djcoolssm
http://www.twitter.com/coolssm

Live 8, E-mu 1616m, Emu Px-7, Krk Rp-5's, Ventura guitar, Korg D1200, Emax keyboard, many plugins, intel quad core q6600 processor, WinXP Pro, 500b hd, and 2gb's of ram.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:17 pm

The drum pads are NOT supposed to be mapped to Impulse, they're not part of the automap scheme. The pads are ass anyway.

I get home from work in 9 hours, I'll check into it then. RJ Dubya is a solid SL user, he might know what's up with tap tempo. I do remember it being odd but I don't use it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:08 pm

I like the pads! They're 1000x better than the korg microKontrol pads.

one thing i don't get is why the knobs right above the pads do nothing in the automap, and can't be assigned as regular midi controls. sup with that? and also, the buttons above and below the encoders don't work the way they're supposed to. is any of that fixed in the 2.5 automap?????

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:11 pm

being a geek, I like that not all the knobs are automapped, I like to control some of my own setup.

.lm. - you know the SL well, any knowlege on the tap tempo?

Everything can be midi mapped, make sure they're set to go out the correct port.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:44 pm

I have never got the tap tempo to work either. I was told it wouldn't by Novation and have not heard a thing from the abes. I shure would like to use it. Right now I map one of the bottom buttons to it but it is real awkward.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:02 pm

Tone Deft wrote:being a geek, I like that not all the knobs are automapped, I like to control some of my own setup.

Everything can be midi mapped, make sure they're set to go out the correct port.

Oh, i don't mind that the bottom knobs aren't automapped, but i do mind that they can't be mapped to anything else! Of course i'm probably doing something wrong. But when i go to the edit mode in sl, the bottom knobs work how they are supposed to in automap, in other words, they do data entry for whatever param is in the lcd above them, therefore i can't change their functionality!!! So that said, obviously i don't know the sl well, in fact, i just got the thing not that long ago and am painfully noobish.

also, i'm a mac user, and the template editor doesn't work very well. It crashes a lot, and every time i try to edit the function of the lower knobs so i can hopefully use them, when i upload the template back to the sl the automap no longer works right! fuck!

tap tempo? shit, i haven't even tried that shit.

.lm.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:06 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:being a geek, I like that not all the knobs are automapped, I like to control some of my own setup.

Oh, i don't mind that the bottom knobs aren't automapped, but i do mind that they can't be mapped to anything else! Of course i'm probably doing something wrong. But when i go to the edit mode in sl, the bottom knobs work how they are supposed to in automap, in other words, they do data entry for whatever param is in the lcd above them, therefore i can't change their functionality!!! So that said, obviously i don't know the sl well, in fact, i just got the thing not that long ago and am painfully noobish.

also, i'm a mac user, and the template editor doesn't work very well. It crashes a lot, and every time i try to edit the function of the lower knobs so i can hopefully use them, when i upload the template back to the sl the automap no longer works right! fuck!

tap tempo? shit, i haven't even tried that shit.

.lm.
Hey Lm what are you trying to map on the bottom knobs? It should work. \

I use a modied map of template 40 for ableton and when I midi map the bottom left one comes up as 1/8.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:14 pm

shit, anything, it just won't work for me.

I must be doing something really stupid, so i'll let you know when i figure it out.

also, i'd like to map the buttons above and below the encoders to stuff too, since they don't increase or decrease values like they're supposed to.

the only thing i have working the way i want to are the pads, at least i'm triggering impulses with em.

.lm.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:45 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:shit, anything, it just won't work for me.

I must be doing something really stupid, so i'll let you know when i figure it out.

also, i'd like to map the buttons above and below the encoders to stuff too, since they don't increase or decrease values like they're supposed to.

the only thing i have working the way i want to are the pads, at least i'm triggering impulses with em.

.lm.
It's pretty straight forward. Go to the 40 template and then hit edit on the SL. Push the button you want to change (you have to keep hitting the ones by the knob to get the CC value up). Then roll the upper right hand knob (second from right actually) to the cc value you want it to correspond to. hit the write key until it saves. You should be good from there on.

You may actually have to go into the main config of the SL and make sure that it is unlocked so you can write.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm

ok ok, but riddle me this, batman:

when i want to change what the knobs over the pads do, how can i select them? they only seem to do data entry.

.lm.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:54 pm

do you people know that 2.5 is a beta?

report your problems to novation it may take a while but there very helpful.

go here if you want the pads to work with impulse.

http://88.208.201.18/answerbase/article.php?id=280
Last edited by Cryptic UK on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drums

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:55 pm

yeah, i'm not using the beta. i'm using the most current realease. 2.0.2 or whatever

i was wondering if 2.5 fixed any of my issues, and then we got sidetracked.

.lm.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:02 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:yeah, i'm not using the beta. i'm using the most current realease. 2.0.2 or whatever

i was wondering if 2.5 fixed any of my issues, and then we got sidetracked.

.lm.
Things are working fine here(it worked fine in 2.0.2 for me aswell) apart from the buggy editor that crashes sometimes.
Drums