errors during saving sets

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
longjohns

errors during saving sets

Post by longjohns » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:11 am

hi

i have been having some problems with 3.0 when saving sets. occasionally i will get error dialog boxes which say something along the lines of "can't save file X:\x\x\track x x.wav"

if i go to the clip view and try to hit 'save' there, i get another error, "can't save until sample analysis complete" or something.

what i've had to do to get the set to save is replace the samples in the offending clips with other wav files, then go back to the correct sample. once i've done this for all the problem clips, the set will save OK.

one other problem during my last spell was a clip which refused to be reset to it's correct tempo - but i'm not sure if this is related or not.

if it helps, what i was doing with the set was recording a bunch of clips all into track one, all piano chords. then i was going to play around with bouncing around between clips to experiment with progressions. there were several times when i'd undo a clip i just recorded - so maybe it was problematic to re-record clips over the slots where something had just been deleted (??)

reason was rewired at the time, but i was recording off of live inputs only.

anybody had these problems too? or any ideas as to what's going on?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:22 am

well i was just having this problem again, except that when i tried to replace the samples, it would replace the new one i choose into ALL clips, not just the one i'm trying to fix!

:(

frustrating to have something you like enough to save, then not be able to save it

going to uninstall/reinstall

Mrx41862

Post by Mrx41862 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:20 am

I have just experienced the same problem you mentioned after a fairly long session. Fortunately I didn't lose the work...everything I tried would not save the set, I got those same errors you spoke of and LIVE automatically put all the files in the recycle bin. I found them there by chance. So I moved them all back to another folder and will go in and fix my project by turning all my recorded files into loops and triggering them in LIVE. I hope this works. You may be right about the re recording over spots I was doing the same thing in this project when this happened.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:12 am

hmmm. right you are- there's a whole bunch of sounds from the sets i was trying to save sitting in the recycle bin. maybe i'll try loading them into live again.

Ruotger Skupin

Post by Ruotger Skupin » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:19 am

Hello People

thank you for reporting this.

Can you please give me details about:

1. your computer: operating system, RAM Size, audio hardware
2. the version of live you are using
3. the volumes/drives in use
4. the song you were trying to save
5. anything else that could be of interest about the problem

Thank you

Roddi
please state the following information with *every* problem you have:
1. Exact version of Live
2. System: Processor, RAM
3. Operating System
4. Audio hardware
Thank You

Ruotger "Roddi" Skupin
Developer
skupin@ableton.com

Mrx41862

Post by Mrx41862 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:26 pm

Longjohns

I was able to rebuild my song,,,it took a while and I had to change each file from beats to tones in the sample warp field ( I get that anamoly, in sound if I didn't...that warbly sound ) but I was able to rebuild the song for the most part...only problem was the file that LIVE wouldn't save was gone completely as if I never recorded it. I also noticed this...that the file that wouldn't save was also the last file I recorded. leading towards the idea of a record directory limitation. Just a guess. :D

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:04 pm

Hi,

i have the same problem you describe. I recognized that it only happens when i record via LIVE IN. If I record via REWIRE (Reason), everything is ok.
I get around with it by deleting the just recorded clips out of the SESSION VIEW and open them again from the Browser and the TEMP (or Live Set Folder) and then I can save the Live Set with all the recorded Samples without loosing them (and the hole Song).

Hope that ABLETON will fix this fast!

My System:

Dell Inspiron 8200
Microsoft Windows XP Home
(Network disabled, but Internet Connection with aktiv Firewall is running! Maybe this is a point of Interest!?)
M-Audio USB Quattro with newest Driver
and (of course) Ableton Live 3

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:00 pm

Same problem here -

Asus P4PE w/ Pentium 4 2.5ghz 1024 mb corsair DDR
Windows XP Pro
Aardvark Q10
Internet hooked up via cable modem behind Norton Personal Firewall

Error seems to occur when trying to save Live sets after recording clips into the session view. No ReWire, it just happenned with only four clips recorded. Recurring problem.

Stefan Franke

Post by Stefan Franke » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:22 pm

There's a known bug in Live 2.0 - 3.0 (which is fixed already and will be in the upcoming bugfix release) that has the symptoms you describe.

It occurs only when recording from external inputs with the "Monitor through Live" preference turned off.

Those of you who had the problem: Can you confirm this? If you're sure that you had a problem with "Monitor through Live" turned on, please let me know, I'd be very interested in.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:23 pm

Hi Stefan,

i just tested what you wrote. It looks that it is really depending on the LIVE MONITOR INPUT switching on or off!
I don't have the Problem with LIVE 2.1.2 only with LIVE 3.
As I tell, it is all fine when LIVE MONITOR INPUT is switched on.

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:40 pm

Stefan - You are correct, I always have "Monitor Through Live" switched off because my soundcard allows me to monitor inputs directly off the hardware. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Mrx41862

Post by Mrx41862 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:09 pm

I cannot confirm nor deny this, but I usually leave the monitor through live switch "off" also so maybe this is the cause. Also, I was able to repair and save the sounds in a second song I was working on tht wouldn't save by taking the offending file and using the consolidate function on the group of edited clips. If that helps as a workaround until the bugfix. 8O

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:10 am

cool! thanks for the tips. i also keep monitoring turned off, because my aardvark has it's own monitor section with "no latency" (won't get into that argument - haha)

i will try to delete and reload from the temp folder next time.

i also swear i posted more info, but seems to have not gone through... oh well.

look forward to next bugfix update

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:16 am

Yea, I'm using an Aardvark Q10

Ruotger Skupin

Post by Ruotger Skupin » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:21 pm

Hello People,

on a different thread a colleague of mine describes a workaround:

In the preferences, set the "Monitor through Live" to yes and the problem should go away. If it doesn't please say so!

The fix for that bug will be in the upcoming update.

Roddi
please state the following information with *every* problem you have:
1. Exact version of Live
2. System: Processor, RAM
3. Operating System
4. Audio hardware
Thank You

Ruotger "Roddi" Skupin
Developer
skupin@ableton.com