Is Ableton fixing PROBLEMS with Core Audio????????

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Pablo Honey

Is Ableton fixing PROBLEMS with Core Audio????????

Post by Pablo Honey » Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:41 pm

Why can't Live disable unused I/O's in audio prefernce using Digidesign Harware and Core Audio in OSX? Why can't Live change Buffer settting on Digi Hardware in OSX? Is Ableton working on fixing this problem? 22ms of fixed overall latency is pretty noticeable! And having all 16 I/O's on my 001, the 002 or the 002(R) or TDM hardware put a way to much strain on out CPU'S. So Ableton what's the story? Can we expect this to change. AM I GOING TO BE STUCK IN OS9 FOREVER!
PowerMac G4 1.2Ghz
Digi002
OSX10.3.4
Live3.0.2
Protools6.4
Reason2.5

I keep the wolf from the door......

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:18 pm

have you asked digidesign? after all, they're the ones who write the coreaudio drivers for digidesign hardware.

Pablo Honey

Post by Pablo Honey » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:02 am

I've been complaining on both forums. No one from Digi or Ableton has replyed. But I'll head over to digidesign and focus my beef over there. I'm not sure who needs to fix this problem but some needs to and fast. There are a whole lot of people using digihardware(Mbox,001,002,002(r) 96I/O, etc.)Who are going to be pisssed when they switch from OS9 to OSX. Becasue A) The performance sucks because you have 16 or 32 I/O's enabled at all times that you can't turn off. B) A permanent buffer setting of 512samples and 22ms of overall latency! These are REALLY BIG PROBLEMS THAT SOMEONE NEEDS TO ADDRESS. If it's not Ableton than by all means some from Ableton please say something. Even if it' is Digidesigns problem just say so. [/b]
PowerMac G4 1.2Ghz
Digi002
OSX10.3.4
Live3.0.2
Protools6.4
Reason2.5

krikor

Post by krikor » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:38 am

if all your audio application experience the same thing with the core audio, then I think, that it's up to digidesign to fix that. I notice i have the same thing happening with the out inputs number on my RME driver, (i can swith buffer size though, and with the dsp integrated, i don't have any latency so that doesn't bother me), so maybe it's up to apple core system...

os

Post by os » Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:50 am

It's up to Ableton to add the feature of being able to disable unused inputs/outputs. You'll find this subject mentioned in previous threads on this forum e.g.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Ableton have said they will do it, but not when.

Pablo Honey

Post by Pablo Honey » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:38 am

thanks for the info.

This is a pretty big setback to OSX and Live jiveness. I hope Ableton can fix this pretty soon. I really never need more than 3 live in's and 2 out's at any given time. So to have all of my 16I/O's active all the time sucks the life out of my powermac. :(
PowerMac G4 1.2Ghz
Digi002
OSX10.3.4
Live3.0.2
Protools6.4
Reason2.5

jho

Post by jho » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:04 pm

New user here; first thread I searched for was this!! Hi all and thanks.

Yeah me too. Dang it runs like a champ even off the internal Ti667 drive thru the internal outputs, but no go thru the 002r with or without a firewire drive in between running the audio... it croaks as soon as the going gets tough on more than a handful of tracks (maybe 6 to eight). The latest digi coreaudio driver does nuttin to solve it apparently.

So all the outputs being wide open is the problem? :roll:

Pablo Honey

Post by Pablo Honey » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:08 pm

Yeah having all the I/o's active puts a lot of strain on your CPU. Hoepfully ABleton will have a fix soon. :D
PowerMac G4 1.2Ghz
Digi002
OSX10.3.4
Live3.0.2
Protools6.4
Reason2.5

pharmakonMtl

Re: Is Ableton fixing PROBLEMS with Core Audio????????

Post by pharmakonMtl » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:57 am

Pablo Honey wrote:Why can't Live disable unused I/O's in audio prefernce using Digidesign Harware and Core Audio in OSX? Why can't Live change Buffer settting on Digi Hardware in OSX? Is Ableton working on fixing this problem? 22ms of fixed overall latency is pretty noticeable! And having all 16 I/O's on my 001, the 002 or the 002(R) or TDM hardware put a way to much strain on out CPU'S. So Ableton what's the story? Can we expect this to change. AM I GOING TO BE STUCK IN OS9 FOREVER!
i have a feeling it is digidesign that is at fault here... i have a motu firewire souncard which uses CoreAudio drivers and i can get < 1ms of latency with it on a PowerBook 800. and i have never seen a control panel that lets me disable any inputs or outputs.

i don't think DigiDesign was too thrilled when Apple Switched to CoreAudio. in fact, IIRC, Digidesign have been the slowest of the big mac sequencer houses to port their software to OS X.

hope it gets fixed soon,

ramaphonk

jho

Post by jho » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:04 am

So would it be normal, at this point in the game, to have a Powerbook G4667 with PT LE / 002r, and LIVE 3 rewired in, and with 16 tracks (8 stereo) in LIVE or recording to any PT tracks thru rewire to a separate FW drive, for it to be taking such a $h!t that I have to bounce one stereo track at a time?
Just wondering....

Pablo Honey

Post by Pablo Honey » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:28 pm

So Ableton any news on a fix for Core Audio???????????????

I would love to able to ditch my OS9:) I would love it if Live behaved the same in OsX as it does in Os9:(
PowerMac G4 1.2Ghz
Digi002
OSX10.3.4
Live3.0.2
Protools6.4
Reason2.5

DLuv

Post by DLuv » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:04 pm

I use Live in OS X 2.8 with a PowerBook and a MOTU 828 and it works like a charm............

Sounds like the problem is on your end bro

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:14 pm

I have a Event1 EZBus that uses CoreAudio and CoreMIDI drivers. I haven't had problems since, after upgrading from 10.0 to 10.1 a couple years ago.

Regards,
Alex

jho

Post by jho » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:25 am

Ok here's the scoop I found out after a ver helpful and informative call with Ableton in Germany (Thanks Man!!)

Ableton is not the problem with Core audio. Even if the provision was in there to switch on and off your analog and digital ins/outs, Digi doesn't support them - there is no place for ableton to internally 'connect' to since the virtual 'ports' aren't there from digi in a core audio sense.

However, run in DIRECT I/O and you can get pretty decent performance and the ability to turn on/off all your 002r I/O's. That's what I'm doing now and if you launch Live with it set in direct i/o it is pretty stable.