stuff for djs

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
nihad

stuff for djs

Post by nihad » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:39 pm

1) "Pitchbend" .. a way to assign a momentary switch (midi note or whatever) to momentarly alter the tempo of a song. Really essential for dj-s that don't want to rely on BPM counters and wants to sync ableton to vinyl.

Included should be a setting for range (i.e. -10 and +10 bpm for a button each) and lag, so that the +/-10 bpm value doesn't occour instantly, and that way making really fine adjustments possible ..

2) "Toggle" .. Ability to toggle through a set of predefined values with a single button/note. I.E. setting a midi note to switch through 3 different clips (in this case on the same channel, but shouldn't need to be). If CLIP1 is playing, pressing the note should launch CLIP2, one more lounches CLIP3, and another one CLIP1 again.

A similar 2 button use would be cool with the other note/button doing the same as the first but in reverse.

You should also be able to go through a set of predefined midi CC values with a single button/note. I.E. Today i use a filter plugin where i'm able to choose all filter types with a single knob. However that's not the most intuitive way of doing it. Instead i'd like to be able to go through all types with a single button. As it is now i'm only able to switch between 2 values with a button/note, determined by the set min/max values for that particular controller.

3) "Relative mode - with absolute controllers" .. Very simple, the ability to set a "relative interval" in which a controller should operate rather than min & max values.

The power of this feature is particulary obvious if there was a way to assign 2 midi controllers to the same destination. I.E. when controling tempo you could set one controller to set bpm through the entire range (60-200) and a second controller to fine adjust the value in a chosen interval (i.e. +/- 10 bpm).

And it's not too hard to come up with situations where two controllers - one for an initial value, the other for relative fine tuning - could be very usefull ..

Well, that's my 0.02$ .. What do you think?
Last edited by nihad on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

maxbaun

Post by maxbaun » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:13 am

sounds like you are looking for another program like Traktor.

nihad

Post by nihad » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:03 pm

what brings you to that conclusion?

, i want to incorporate clips and live elements into my dj set, not dj with ableton live exclusively ..

besides that, i don't see how midi smoothing could be bad for producers aswell, or the other stuff ..

nihad

Post by nihad » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:08 pm

bumpin' this .. it's time to take the LIVE back in ableton live .. :idea: 8)

nihad

Post by nihad » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:10 pm

come on, tempobender!

moostapha

Post by moostapha » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:24 pm

So, yeah.

There is no good way to integrate Ableton Live into a DJ setup without a midi clock device (the xone:3d is the only one that's mass produced and is actually produced and available...and it's too expensive for one feature that works right).

If you want to DJ with Ableton, the best thing to do would be to switch completely. Yeah, it sounds bad. But, you know what...you gotta choose what you want. Ableton can do everything turntables can do...turntables can't do everything Ableton can do. That's really the long and short of it.

I've fought with myself for a long time about eliminating my decks from my DJ setup, but it looks like the more I get into Live, the more CD Decks look like a backup solution and not something to actually be used.
If only you, me and DEAD people could read hex, would we need this forum?

nihad

Post by nihad » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:08 pm

believe me i've thought about it a lot, but there are some things that for now live can't replace ..

i can't do anything i do with vinyl regulary more than beatmatch two tracks, and because of the file handling and slow searching (with no TAG support) it's hard to be spontaneous ..

traktor is not an option though, my goal is to incorporate live into my dj set, not use it as a substitute to my turntables ..

all of this would be solved with the addition of "pitchbend", and i'm only talking about momentary tempo changes for the master tempo, not individual channels ..