Djs & performers - default many controls with ONE button

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ben_blue

Djs & performers - default many controls with ONE button

Post by ben_blue » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:50 pm

hey guys and gals...

here is another mod i have created using Bome's midi translator, aimed primarily at the Live performers / DJ's. Like the pioneer FX emulation. it could be tailored in a million different ways. The idea came when during a performance, you may (and these devices are examples, but it could by ANYTHING!) tweak the hell out of an EQ and a few sends for any given channel. Then at some point, you want to "reset" those to defualt positions. Maybe to play a new track or clip, etc. That can be tedious. So i wanted to hit ONE button and send all those knobs back to their defualt value.

Not too hard using Bome's, (or Control Aid i assume). Then i took it a step further, and then a few more. I really hope some of you find this useful, as i've spent quite some time on it!

here's how this works as is with the .ALS:
4 audio tracks each with 2 sends and an EQ 3.
4 buttons on your controller for selecting tracks 1-4.
1 button on your controller that sets the EQ3 and sends to defualt positions for the selected track.

pretty cool!

Taking it further, assign 5 knobs to send CC's 1 through 5, all on Channel 1. Then, after selecting a track via one of the 4 buttons, those 5 knobs will control the eq3 and sends for the currently selected track! really great if you just don't have a lot of knobs.

I made one button that toggles the actual visual track selection On/ OFF in Live, so if you want all the functions as above, but without selecting the tracks in Live, you can.

Now, to start, you will have to at least open this ALS and look at the assignments. It's all simple and logical.

Assign the right CC's to your midi controller. (it's only a few, so i'll just show you what to do manually.) see below.
Open Bome's and import the presets file provided.
Set up midi properly using midi Yoke if you haven't already.
Open the .ALS.

midi controller assignments.
send 1 - CC1 CH 1
send 2 - CC2 CH 1
EQ L - CC3 CH 1
EQ M - CC4 CH 1
EQ H - CC5 CH 1
Select Track 1 - Note Number 1 CH 1. Set High and Low Values to 127.
Select Track 2 - Note Number 2 CH 1. Set High and Low Values to 127.
Select Track 3 - Note Number 3 CH 1. Set High and Low Values to 127.
Select Track 4 - Note Number 4 CH 1. Set High and Low Values to 127.

Defualt EQ3 and Sends for selected track - Note Number 7 CH 1. I used momentary, but it may work either way.

Switch to turn off visual track selection but keep all this other stuff the same - Note Number 8 CH 1. Toggle, values 0 and 127. This must be this way.

Some aspects of this will be easy to tweak, some more difficult, depending on your skill level of course. But i REALLY hope you guys check it out. It may sound complicated to some, but it's not - I've done all the gruntness for you...

Let me know if i can explain or present anything better :)

ben

The files:
http://www.benblue.com/ableton/defaulter_control.rar

http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/
http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http:// ... /myoke.htm
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:07 am

no one's biting yet, eh :P

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:20 am

i would but i havent got any buttons :(

*sigh*

Post by *sigh* » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:01 am

I'm lovin it....

been trying to do something similar using dummy clips to "play" the fx on the routed audio. stock filter sweeps n so on.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:02 am

this is very cool.. i'll have to have a play around... been wanting a way to 'zero' my mixer for a while... i wish we didn't have to use external midi things like control aid etc to do these things but still great ideas all round..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

jkob

Post by jkob » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:29 pm

hi there..

is there another solution to reset all knobs that i tweaked with one button (without third party tools)? does anybody else have an idea? i cant use this instruction although they are great (i dont untderstand this way)..

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:20 am

Does this work in conjunction with Lives "soft takeover" function? ie - once you have reset the parameters to their initial setting, the midi controller (knob) that you are using will not start to work until it has mooved back to (or past) the initial setting?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:47 pm

jkob wrote:hi there..

is there another solution to reset all knobs that i tweaked with one button (without third party tools)? does anybody else have an idea? i cant use this instruction although they are great (i dont untderstand this way)..
I have one button on my BCR that resets every single mapped MIDI control. It sweeps the LEDs around all dials to maximum first (cool light show!), then sets them where I want them all set. You could have multiple buttons for various initial setups.

You'll need to use a dummy clip with CCs that are matched to your MIDI mappings. You'll see the Live controls set themselves on screen, and the BCR LEDs moving themselves to the appropriate positions.
Last edited by hambone1 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkob

Post by jkob » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:52 pm

nice workaround.
i try it.
i´ve talked with the ableton-support and they sense this feature request as a nice one. they think about it and put it on their list. Really good guys...

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:45 pm

ive started to see some ways this can be done natively. with macros being defaulted by a macro, etc...
will have more soon.