WirelessPocketPC MIDI Controller Ended

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gafferuk

WirelessPocketPC MIDI Controller Ended

Post by gafferuk » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Hi, im in the process of building a Controller for live using a wireless PocketPC.
Will be great for doing soundchecks and going to the bar during a performance.

Heres some screenshots:
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Keywords: PocketPC Pocket DJ MIDI Controller Studio
Last edited by gafferuk on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:24 am, edited 26 times in total.

the unknown wanderer

Post by the unknown wanderer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:41 pm

looks good......... but at the price of 4 pocket pcs you could by an exellent studio setup

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:50 pm

the unknown wanderer wrote:looks good......... but at the price of 4 pocket pcs you could by an exellent studio setup
Funny. :)

Just incase yours serious? It's 4 screenshots of one app. :)

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:48 pm

There's some irony. I'm a c# developer by day and i Have been playing around with something like this off and on for a few years... mostly been working more on the backend library as opposed to the UI. Would you be interested in setting up something on codeplex or sourceforge and collaborating?

-jda

zappen

Post by zappen » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:11 pm

the idea it'v very good but i'd prefer it to work also as a general midi controller, btw how it's supposed to be linked to Live? Midi?

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:08 pm

zappen wrote:the idea it'v very good but i'd prefer it to work also as a general midi controller, btw how it's supposed to be linked to Live? Midi?
My controller is a general midi controller built around live but also could be used for other midi software.

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:16 pm

jbodango wrote:There's some irony. I'm a c# developer by day and i Have been playing around with something like this off and on for a few years... mostly been working more on the backend library as opposed to the UI. Would you be interested in setting up something on codeplex or sourceforge and collaborating?

-jda

I have it connected to live nicely using midiYoke but if you can answer my question from this thread I would be well happy: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=#362427

As for collaborating, it's an interesting idea which ill have to think about, ill let you know soon.
Last edited by gafferuk on Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zappen

Post by zappen » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:57 pm

ok i'm with you then, if you need any testing i have a k-jam to test it with, my first suggestion would be the possibility to bind the all the hardware keys of the pocketpc(builtin querty keyboard,volume slider,an the other available buttons) as midi notes/controllers.
also a fullscreen pad to be used as x,y, 2d controller would be nice(something like the autofilter freq/gain back square)

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:12 pm

zappen wrote:ok i'm with you then, if you need any testing i have a k-jam to test it with, my first suggestion would be the possibility to bind the all the hardware keys of the pocketpc(builtin querty keyboard,volume slider,an the other available buttons) as midi notes/controllers.
also a fullscreen pad to be used as x,y, 2d controller would be nice(something like the autofilter freq/gain back square)
x-y controller? Will be having 2 on each of the 14 available channels, that's 28 to play with, though only one at a time.

Built in keyboard? not a problem, but you won't get any visual feedback if something gets changed within ableton, for example a clip goes on or off,which will be unlike the rest of of app(If someting changes within ableton, your see the pocketPC display update.)

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:43 am

Heres a screenshot of the xy controllers:
[old image removed]

Anyone got any other ideas?
Last edited by gafferuk on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zappen

Post by zappen » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:43 am

for x,y controller i meant something like this :
Imageto be able to control 2 midi cc at once just tapping on the ppc screen.
just noticed your previous post, yea that's nice!
about the keyboard if it will also be a general midi controller that will be nice to do your custom mappings for turning on off effects etc

about the Live feedback, so the program will have midi in and out? it will have a server side on pc?

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:58 am

Yes it has midi in/out and will have a server app to install on pc.
It should have around 400 controls to play with.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:14 am

Looks like a decent way to control a headless PC, actually.

Shame that it would have to be a PC:)

You know if that framework works with Mono? If so it would be possible to port the server app to a Mac.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:19 am

noisetonepause wrote:Looks like a decent way to control a headless PC, actually.

Shame that it would have to be a PC:)

You know if that framework works with Mono? If so it would be possible to port the server app to a Mac.
I think the toolkit uses direct win32 api calls, thus i don't think would work with mono/mac.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:55 am

You need to be able to 'gang' faders and other controls, or else you've just shrunk the one pointer/one control problem.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.