Live 6: Library conversion problems

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Mag_Music

Live 6: Library conversion problems

Post by Mag_Music » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:34 pm

Alex,

I installed L6 on my main music machine and for some reason it did not convert my L5 library properly (I don't have it in the default location, by the way, but it did ask to convert); none of the actual samples got moved to the new location, though the were erased from the old, so none of the clips produced any sound. I uninstalled v6, deleted the v6 lib, copied the original v5 lib back into place and reinstalled; this time it didn't even attempt to convert the lib, so none of the v6 content was in place. Apparently there's some registry information that made it think the lib was already converted. So I tried a different location altogether, one with nothing in it so Live would have to create the default library, but that didn't work either. It creates a library folder with no Clips folder, just the Presets and Samples folders, both completely empty, so now I can't really do anything at all.

I assume I need to clear everything about Live out of the registry, copy my L5 lib back in place and reboot before I can fix this situation, but I need information from you about how I can remove all traces of Live from the registry. I just checked and although it looked like it worked correctly, the library conversion on my notebook is not good either. Lots of .asd files but few actual .wav or .aif files.

This is a problem others may run into as well. My suggestion to everyone is to let v6 create its own default lib for now and not risk your v5 content. Make sure you have your L5 lib backed up! (Will older live packs install properly in v6?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

mdk

Post by mdk » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:08 pm

Im suffering from a similar problem.

I converted my library while running the beta and had no problems, but now that ive actually bought and installed the upgrade there are various files missing from my library. Generally waveforms / samples so far but im finding more as I open up my songs.

How can I restore the library content?

noise

Post by noise » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:28 pm

thought I might have been the only one with Library questions/problems...looks like not.
I installed upgrade from L5 to L6 and designated a new library location for L6. There does not seem to be a clear way to convert L5 Library to L6...thought L6 installer would see L5 ini for Library info or something and do the necessary conversions...appears not to be the case.
All my L5 and L6 beta library material IS still intact in a different location, but either I'm blind or stupid- I don't see any clear way to convert the content to L6. :cry:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:54 pm

not sure what the problem is but I figured I would chime in and say that it does work for some of us. not that that helps you but I'm just saying that it isn't doing this everyone so maybe it's something you're doing incorrectly or maybe it's a bug or maybe it's something system specific.

I know that doesn't help much.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

craw

Post by craw » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:28 pm

hello all,

I am having ther same problem here. In my case I know it is related to clicking 'no' to the question 'do you want live to convert your library, this cannot be undone?' during the live 6 installation

I clicked 'no' because it mentioned that I would be able to set a library path via the 'preferences' panel later.

Later I set a path, and it is indicated in the 'preferences' panel that the basic pack and the lessons are installed, but I have absolutely no presets for anything in the browser, and I cannot open the lessons!!!

When I browse to my library directory as set in the 'preferences' all the preset folders are there but are empty.

I should mention that I done this on my laptop, which is a brand new intel macbook.

When I installed live 6 on my main machine (AMD 64 3400+ PC) I had no such problem because I clicked yes to the library question during the install, and everything from live 5 has been copied over and the basic pack and lessons are also installed.

There must be a way to install the lessons, transfer the live 5 presets, and install the basic pack on my laptop. PLEASE HELP. It is a pain in the arse not to have any presets whatsoever on my laptop.

I have sent an email to suppot@ableton.com about this but no response as yet. Perhaps one of you guys has come accress the same issue and fixed it.
craw

namoine

Post by namoine » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:30 pm

Hello

I solved the library-convert problem (after clicking -no-) by installing the Live Packs manually.

They can be found mostly at:
-C:\Programme\Ableton\Live 6.0.1\Ressources\DefaultPackages.
There you will see the basics.alp and the lessons.alp. By clicking these files, they will install the missing library and the lessons (perhaps at the right location).

I can start making music again, because they have been installed at the right location on my pc. Don't know why.

Good luck.
Core i7-920 2, 6 GB Ram, ATI HD4550, Echo Gina 3G /// Notebook Pentium M Centrino 1,6 Ghz, 1 GB Ram, M-Audio MobilePre /// NI Komplete7 - Stylus RMX - Omnisphere - Reason5

craw

Post by craw » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:00 pm

namoine ... you are a bloody star. PROBLEM solved for me too. THANKS VERY MUCH

On Mac OS X you need to:

1. navigate to the live 6 pogram folder
2. right click on the live icon and choose 'show package contents'
3. navigate to 'app-resources' > 'defaultpackages'
4. double click on whatever packages you need installed.

Thanks again namoine!!! :D
craw

mdk

Post by mdk » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:58 am

I also solved my own problem by installing 5.2.2 on my iBook and the copying the content of the waveforms directory over to my PC where Live 6 is installed.

Still, I think its a bit wrong that the installer deletes library content, why not just leave it where it is?

Friedemann

Post by Friedemann » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:13 pm

Dear All,

we just realized that some samples from the Live 5 Essentials
Pack are removed in error when the Live 6 Basics Pack
is installed, pleae see
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49262.

By the way, in order to find Live Packs inside the installation
that are not yet installed you can go the Live Packs tab
in the Preferences and use the "Search" button at the
"Search for Live Packs" entry at the bottom of the Live Pack list.

Best regards, Friedemann
Friedemann Schautz
schautz@ableton.com