TIP: turntable nudging in Live!!!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
RePeter

TIP: turntable nudging in Live!!!

Post by RePeter » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:19 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else has done this, and the thought of searching this forum for "turntable/cdj nudging" etc made me loose sleep.

To make this work you will need:
Plugue bidule & 3 spare sliders.

The idea is that you have one slider which controls the master tempo in live.

If you want to nudge to tempo up slightly, you just push one of the other two sliders up from zero (until the tempo is corrected) then drop it back down to zero.
This will make the master tempo increase slighly, and then return to the original master tempo.

To hold the tempo (like putting your finger on the side of the platter) do the same with the other slider (except rather than pushing up from zero, you will need to drop the slider down from 127, and then return it to that point when the tempo is corrected).

The great thing about this set up, is that by using slider you have continuous control over the nudge (like applying differing amounts of pressure) rather than using a button which is simply on / off.

In order to get things up and running you may need to make a few adjustments to the bidule or your live set:

to start with you need to connect the nudge bidule to your midi device then send it out to midi yoke or similar midi routing device.

Now expand the bidule group.

the two nudging sliders need to be controlling elements in bidule.
the slider for nudging down (slowing down) needs to be assigned to control the "highest value" for the "slower scaler"
the slider for nudging up (speeding up) needs to be assigned to control the "lowest value" for the "faster scaler".

You then need to make sure that the appropriate midi cc is being filtered; so if you are using cc 10 to control the "highest value" on the "slower scaler", check that cc 10 is being filtered in the filter leading to it. Obviously you need to do the same for the "faster scaler" as well.

Finally you will notice a remapper. Whatever this is set to, is what you need to control the master tempo in live. you cant have this controller (the one controlling the master) assigned to any slider, the messages must be generated in bidule.

Now just set a reasonable tempo (5-10 BPM) range in live and off you go, you should be able to beat match to a source with relative ease.

Phew.... thats it.

Sorry i'm not that great at explaining how to set it up, i'm not at my live PC at the moment.
If you prefer you could just use the same assignments i have which are:
cc54 = nudge down
cc55 = nudge up
cc56 = assigned to the master tempo in live (but not to any sliders)
cc57 = select master tempo

Here's the link http://www.filefactory.com/file/743233/
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:25 pm

Good work.

Nudging would be better if you'd used two keystrokes instead of sliders. 1 keystroke for pushing, and 1 for dragging. Obviously you'd lose the variable speed of a slider, but if you set the nudge to a relatively high value, the keystrokes would respond more like pushing or dragging.

Can't be that hard... I'd be very interested if you could do this.

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:33 pm

I'll see what i can do (although probably won't be for a while).

You might even be able to link the amount of nudging applied to the velocity of the pad or key hit, although tht would take a bit to calibrate. :)

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:46 pm

I like the idea of beeing able to tap down/hold down the key. It would really feel more like pussing or dragging then...

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:50 pm

another possibility is the pitch bend wheel, since it returns to it's centre, so the tempo would return to its master.

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:37 pm

Definitely. But I don't have a controller with a mod wheel... :cry: Let mke know if yu worksomething out for the keys method.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:27 pm

you wouldnt be so kind as to perhaps upload an example set of this would you? plogue isnt my strongest side really. :)

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:29 pm

no problemo, but it wont be till Sunday since i dont have internet at home.

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:51 pm

Ok here's the simplified version download:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/4f643d/

The zip contains a live set and a bidule save.

Open the live set first, then the bidule save (click ok to the rewire warning if it appears)

Attach you midi device's input to the midi splitter in bidule, and finally assign three sliders on your control surface the following:

slider 1 (nudge down) channel 5 cc 54
slider 2 (nudge up) channel 5 cc 55
slider 3 master tempo channel 5 cc 57.

this should work straight away without need into program anything in ableton or bidule.

Patch: i had a look at programming the same with buttons, and all you need to do is assign whichever buttons you want to use to the parameters above and off you go.
It works better with the second version.
Also dont forget that this will only nudge between where your actual tempo is and the max / min settings in ableton, so its best to centre your actual playing tempo around this range,
eg. if your range is set to 125 - 135 and you are playing at 134, pressing nudge foward will only increase the tempo by 1 bpm, but pressing nudge down will drop the tempo by 9 bpm, so you would need to be running at around 130 to make both nudges equal.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:59 am

awesome, thanks alot mate.

timthib

Post by timthib » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:55 am

Any chance of reposting this file? Interested in trying this out.

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:37 pm

yes, I'd love to try this as well...

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:40 am

*bump*
so i can find the thread when I get home ;-)