ReWire does'nt work with Cubase VST

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
EneA

ReWire does'nt work with Cubase VST

Post by EneA » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:18 am

:?

I try to run Live as a ReWire Slave in Cubase VST. Although Live's buses are shown when I pull down Cubase's ReWire panel and are activated, nothing appears in Cubase's track output. I'd checked it with Reason and that works flawlessly, so it must have to do something with Live.

In the manual they say that the "Favour MIDI Timing" has to be checked.

But where is it?? In Live?? or Cubase?? preferences?? I could'nt find it anywhere.

Someone else encountered this??

connekta

Post by connekta » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:07 am

I have a same kinda problem:
I use Live as a host
I use Reason as a slave
i've set the input to ''reason'' on a channel in live
when i push the play button, i don't hear reason's sound inserted in Live ?
What could be wrong here ?

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:08 pm

Hi all,

it sounds like two seperate problems:

EneA:
Please get sure that the "Release ASIO driver in background" option in Cubase's VST multitrack settings is off (not checked).
Only older CUbase versions running on OS 9 have the "Favour MIDI Timing"

connekta:
Please have in mind that you have to monitor the incoming signal from Reason if you want to hear it. For that you must switch on the track monitor button of the track where you have selected Reason as input.

regards,
Alex

EneA

Post by EneA » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:44 am

:o Right, thank you Alex, I'll check this out.

EneA

Post by EneA » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:31 am

:?:

Alex,

That "Release Asio driver in background" feature you suggested does'nt exist in Cubase VST 5.1 either??!!

So, ReWire in Live still does'nt work.

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:45 pm

Hi EneA,

at first are you on OS 9 or on Windows?

In the the audio settings of Cubase must be something similiar like "Enable Audio only for playing". I just have a german vesion here so I don't know what the exact english text is. But this option must be disabled. Can you check that?

regards,
Alex

EneA

Post by EneA » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:53 pm

:)

Thanks Alex, I have Windows 98 SE.

I'll check that option out.

BTW, do you know if I can play a synth in Reason in ReWire mode in conjunction with Live?

That would be great!?!

EneA

Post by EneA » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:24 am

Hi Alex,

I've checked above mentioned out in Cubase and discovered that "Enable Audio only for playing" is unchecked.

The status now is; I load Cubase and go to the ReWire panel and activate Live's mixer channels.
After that I start Live as a ReWire slave. So far so good. But then!!?? I mean, what can I do with it?? Of course I can load some samples in Live's session view which I can playback in Cubase, but what than. I mean, can I record what's coming from Live IN Cubase??

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:55 am

EneA wrote::)

I mean, what can I do with it?? Of course I can load some samples in Live's session view which I can playback in Cubase, but what than. I mean, can I record what's coming from Live IN Cubase??
You can Export the Live tracks into Cubase if you want, just set the left and right locator around what you want to export etc etc
You can use VSTi's in Cubase to add parts to the Live tracks.
You can use VST FX in Cubase that don't work in Live to tweak the Live tracks.
You can use midi tracks in Cubase to add to the Live Tracks.

hhmmm.....I'm sure you can probably do other things too ;-)

Murray

EneA

Post by EneA » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:40 am

Beatworld wrote: 8)

"You can Export the Live tracks into Cubase if you want, just set the left and right locator around what you want to export etc etc"

IMO you can't just export Live (Midi) tracks directly into Cubase? Of course you can convert a Live track into an Audio track and then import this track into Cubase.

"You can use VSTi's in Cubase to add parts to the Live tracks."

Yes, I can.

"You can use VST FX in Cubase that don't work in Live to tweak the Live tracks."

Yes, I can.

"You can use midi tracks in Cubase to add to the Live Tracks."

Yes, I can.

Thank you Beatworld for yor reply, but it does not cover exactly what I mean.
I'm talking about the possibilities in ReWire mode. Of course I can trigger a Live-track in Cubase and it play nicely. I give you an example;

If I ReWire Reason in slave-mode to Live as the master, I just can record my Live stuff TOGETHER with the Reason stuff in one take. So, I have a complete Audio song.

That's my problem in Cubase VST??!! :? I can't record what's coming from Live as a ReWire slave into Cubase. It just plays along nicely with the song but I can't record the stuff coming from Live with the Cubase stuff at the same time.
Of course, if I had a external harddisk recorder stuck to my soundcard's output it can be done. But I have'nt, so I have to render everything as a Audio-file being able to be recorded on CD.

:?: [/b]

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:54 pm

EneA wrote:Beatworld wrote: 8)

Thank you Beatworld for yor reply, but it does not cover exactly what I mean.

That's my problem in Cubase VST??!! :? I can't record what's coming from Live as a ReWire slave into Cubase. It just plays along nicely with the song but I can't record the stuff coming from Live with the Cubase stuff at the same time.
Of course, if I had a external harddisk recorder stuck to my soundcard's output it can be done. But I have'nt, so I have to render everything as a Audio-file being able to be recorded on CD.

:?: [/b]
You've lost me a bit EneA.
I can't identify what the difference is between rendering/exporting all the Cubase and Live tracks to one audio file and "recording stuff from Live with the Cubase stuff at the same time". :?

Beatworld

Ooops

Post by Beatworld » Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:54 am

Previous post was me...the old "forgot to login problem" :lol:

Beatworld

EneA

Post by EneA » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:31 am

OK, I'll try to explain it a little futher:

If you want to Export something into Cubase as an audiofile, you first have to record it in Cubase.

If Live plays in ReWire mode in Cubase, nothing actually is recorded in Cubase, you hear it playing but no recording can be made.

That is different in Live.
If you ReWire e.g. Reason to Live you CAN record the Reason track together with the Live tracks as an audio file.

That's not possible in Cubase, so what's the point of using Rewire in Cubase if you are not able to record it :?: :?:

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:35 pm

[quote="EneA"]:)

If you want to Export something into Cubase as an audiofile, you first have to record it in Cubase.
-----------
You can import any audio file into Cubase, and this function has nothing to do with ReWire.
----------------

If Live plays in ReWire mode in Cubase, nothing actually is recorded in Cubase, you hear it playing but no recording can be made.
------------
Well you can still record in Cubase on non-ReWire tracks while listening to Live-

That is different in Live.
If you ReWire e.g. Reason to Live you CAN record the Reason track together with the Live tracks as an audio file.

That's not possible in Cubase, so what's the point of using Rewire in Cubase if you are not able to record it :?:
------------
I am sure that if we were in the same room as opposed to a chat forum we could better understand each other but.....I guess I can't understand why, having recorded a track in Live, you seem to want to be able to record it "again" in Cubase.
As I said in an earlier post, for me there are many good reasons for ReWiring Live into Cubase. At the end of process I simply Export the Song from Cubase with the Live tracks included in the Export via ReWire........I don't think I can take it much further.

Cheers

Beatworld

EneA

Post by EneA » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:40 am

:D

Hi Beatworld, thank you for your reply.

I made a mistake concerning the Export audio feature in Cubase.

I meant of course; First you have to make a recording in Cubase BEFORE you can EXPORT it as an audiofile. It has nothing to do with importing into Cubase.

You're right about the playing along Live track in Cubase while recording on non-ReWire tracks. That's a possibility I can use.

Your last section is interesting though??

Can you explain me how "At the end of process I simply Export the song from Cubase with the Live tracks included in the Export via ReWire", actually works??

Because that's exactly what I mean??!! How do you record ReWire-Live tracks in Cubase???