MIDI box with 16 faders

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

MIDI box with 16 faders

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:23 pm

I'm looking for a 16 channel fader box to use with live.
So far I found
- Doepfer Pocket Fader, but the faders look to close together
- Kenton Control Freak Studio, maybe a bit to big to carry around in the backpack, with laptop...
- Peavey 1600x - same as kenton

Any other fader boxes available? Ideally something with a size somewhere in between pocket fader and Control Freak/1600x? Most fader boxes seam to have only 8 or 9 faders, wich is not enough for me.

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:59 pm

You could get 2 UC-33 controllers ans chain them.

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:13 pm

this thing looks quite awful and scary, but it has 16 faders:

http://www.philrees.co.uk/products/sliders.htm

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:45 pm

This one's faders might be too close together but hey you gt 32 of them!

JLCooper
CS-32 MiniDesk
http://www.jlcooper.com/pages/cs32.html
http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/pro ... ct_ID=3196

-scotty

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:03 pm

wow, that's a pretty cool piece, a bit pricy, but 32 faders is really serious. anyone know how big it is? I wish it had knobs integrated on it too though...(yes, i know, what more could i want after 32 faders!)

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:57 pm

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:25 pm

oh man, now you've got me wanting to trade in my UC-33 for that sucker... luckily for my live sets, i rarely go beyond 8 tracks, so for now i'm good with just 8 faders...but what if...

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:27 pm

I don't know... that less-than-one-inch throw on the faders seems like it might not be well suited for precision... but then again "precision" might not be what you are aiming for!

The uc-33 seems like a pretty sweet combo of knobs and faders to me.

-scotty

scotty

Post by scotty » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:19 pm

regarding that jl cooper cs32 minidesk....
DAMN! That thing is small! I saw a show last night where one of the band members had one (he was using it with Live on his 500mhz tiBook). He showed it to me afterwards. You could literally rest it in the palm of one hand and manipulate it with the other... although I'd much rather leave it on a table and tweak hardily with two (don't take that last sentence out of context!!!). The sliders felt nice enough, good resistance... smooth but short. It did seem like an extremely cool controller... The guy pointed out that by pressing one of the buttons on an individual channel strip it would make the six rotary knobs at the top of the minidesk work with parameters related to that channel strip. I got the feeling that this meant you would have 6 knobs x 32 channels = 192 unique virtual knobs that could be assigned to live as midi controllers. Does anyone own the minidesk and know if that's true?

I love my kenton control freak but damn... that cs32 is half the size and packed with more than twice the real time controls... hrmmmmmmmm.

-scotty

Re: MIDI box with 16 faders

Post by guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:09 pm

Anonymous wrote:I'm looking for a 16 channel fader box to use with live.
So far I found
- Doepfer Pocket Fader, but the faders look to close together
- Kenton Control Freak Studio, maybe a bit to big to carry around in the backpack, with laptop...
- Peavey 1600x - same as kenton

Any other fader boxes available? Ideally something with a size somewhere in between pocket fader and Control Freak/1600x? Most fader boxes seam to have only 8 or 9 faders, wich is not enough for me.
if your really "just" need 16 faders the peavey is by far the most heavy duty box you can get. its faders are much better and long lasting than any other box i ever touched. is old, yes, but this should be prove enough for a good device. ...downside, its big and heavy. but will be with you for ever (unless you drown it in beer, like i did, but even then i could open it, clean things and get it back to live for a few _years_)

damon

Peavy 1600

Post by damon » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:40 pm

Peavy 1600.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:33 pm

iv been lookin at the Peavey 1600....

they still make em right? as the 1600x??

nobody sells them new. at least not that i can find. ebay i guess...

what did you guys pay? whats a good price?

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:35 pm

I bought the Pocket Dial a couple of months back and it works great and the build quality is solid. So maybe the Pocket fader is up to the same standards. I guess the only thing to watch out for is the spacing between faders.

I also use an 8 fader kenton and they work very well and are very solid. In fact I've just modified it and turned it into a cross between the studio and the 8 fader - 8 faders 8 knobs and 16 buttons.

Ian V

andreX

Post by andreX » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:59 pm

Doepfer Regelwerk offers 24 faders and 24 buttons.
it´s not cheap, though.