Cool yet subtle changes in Live 6

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Benshik

Cool yet subtle changes in Live 6

Post by Benshik » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi guys,
since i cant manage to find a decent bug ;), i'll post the small undisclosed details that impressed me about Live 6:

- Now there are way more tones and colours to chose from for our clips

- A blinking clip in the session view blinks from green to black, not from green to white as before, which looks much cooler. :)

- Arrangement: Option to show only the automated parameters in the automation drop-down menus

- Arrangement: the little orange triangular marker appears not only at the top but at the bottom of the timeline.

- The boxed values are now much more visual (with this orange zone showing the value).

- show/hide buttons for mixer, i/o, etc now available for arrangement view as well...

Anything else?
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

Soma

Post by Soma » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Arrangement: Option to show only the automated parameters in the automation drop-down menus

- show/hide buttons for mixer, i/o, etc now available for arrangement view as well...
cool and cool

AdamJay

Re: Cool yet subtle changes in Live 6

Post by AdamJay » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:48 pm

Benshik wrote: - Arrangement: Option to show only the automated parameters in the automation drop-down menus
'automated parameters only' is also in the Clip View - Envelope Editor

a few more...

-check out the new look of Reverb
its much smaller, taking up less horizontal space amongst devices. using orange bars (as previously mentioned) instead of large fields/knobs.

-in arrange, the long vertical lines showing the loop start and end are hidden until you put the loop in focus. you can still see the loop points, they just don't cloud up the waveform as much.

-new folder icons

-you can turn off the audio engine, simply by clicking inside the cpu% graph in the top right.

-new record icon for midi tracks. instead of the DIN jack icon, there's a note icon.

-can now right click anywhere in the clip view waveform for a context view, in Live 5 you could only right click on warp markers.

-"replace" button in clip view is gone, now that we can hot-swap samples simply by dragging

-"edit" button gone as well, right click in the waveform to "reveal sample" and launch editor from there. Clip View looks less cluttered now.

-"configure" for audio devices now found in "input type" section of the in/out section. it still remains in the "input channel" section as in Live 5, as well.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:53 pm

heres one for ya...

the new track routings : pre-effects, post effects and after mixer

they are very useful when combined with racks because you can take things out of the chain to a new channel in the same way you can access an Impulse drum with Live 5. Although of course it is much more powerful.

It makes for a very interesting and flexible routing system, just that small addition!

Soma

Post by Soma » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:53 pm

Angstrom wrote:heres one for ya...

the new track routings : pre-effects, post effects and after mixer

they are very useful when combined with racks because you can take things out of the chain to a new channel in the same way you can access an Impulse drum with Live 5. Although of course it is much more powerful.

It makes for a very interesting and flexible routing system, just that small addition!
THIS IS HUGE! Why didn't any one say something! :twisted:

ikke

Post by ikke » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:00 pm

"replace" button in clip view is gone, now that we can hot-swap samples simply by dragging

so then there is a feature left out??

scientist

Post by scientist » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:13 pm

not so minor, but...
-clips can now be set as tempo master/slave in the arrange view, so your project's tempo can follow a clip's warp markers. it essentially transfers the warp data from the clip to the master track's tempo automation. now your whole live set can easily conform to a sloppy drummer, and could mean the end of click tracks for recording...

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:18 pm

AdamJay wrote:
Benshik wrote:
-"replace" button in clip view is gone, now that we can hot-swap samples simply by dragging

Curious - "Replace" hot swap?

I'm not sure if this is something I've been doing all along

If I have a audio clip with clip envelopes I just drag new loops in to replace the old loop and it maintains all the settings

is this the same thing - I've never used a "replace" - I just drag and drop in the clip

Is it something else?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:23 pm

scientist wrote:not so minor, but...
-clips can now be set as tempo master/slave in the arrange view, so your project's tempo can follow a clip's warp markers. it essentially transfers the warp data from the clip to the master track's tempo automation. now your whole live set can easily conform to a sloppy drummer, and could mean the end of click tracks for recording...
Can you explain how it works?

Can any clip in the sessions tracks be the tempo master, or do you have to put it a sertain place? Can you have a track with multiple tempo master clips, and "play" between them like ordinary clips?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:26 pm

ze2be wrote:
Can you explain how it works?

Can any clip in the sessions tracks be the tempo master, or do you have to put it a sertain place? Can you have a track with multiple tempo master clips, and "play" between them like ordinary clips?
you have to put it in arrange and then you can set it to Master, you also have to drag it to the length of 'groove' you want.

when th eclip runs out you are suddenly catapulted back to 120 bpm or wherever you came from !

it's cool, though there are issues with Lives tempo delays (glitching on groovey tempo changes)

ikke

Post by ikke » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:38 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
AdamJay wrote:
Benshik wrote:

Curious - "Replace" hot swap?

I'm not sure if this is something I've been doing all along

If I have a audio clip with clip envelopes I just drag new loops in to replace the old loop and it maintains all the settings

is this the same thing - I've never used a "replace" - I just drag and drop in the clip

Is it something else?
in live 5 there you can replace a clip and/or the actual "root sample" of all the clips. if you replace by clicking "replace", it will replace the root sample and if you drag and drop it will replace only that clip, not the root sample.. Now I wonder how to change the clip only instead of the root sample in Live 6?

This is a great feature in Live5!

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:48 pm

re:master/slave warp

yea i forgot about that feature. its basically an extension of the multi-track warping feature.

drez

Post by drez » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:08 pm

Wouldn't it be better to warp the drum track to conform to a tight track?

:P :wink:
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:19 pm

And the saga continues;

Simpler;
- you can now drag-zoom in the sample display (thank you, thank you; no more clicking cycles)
- synced LFO!
- set wave length with start/end markers (same as in clips)

operator;
- 2 new algo's that can sound very nice and gentle..
- a 24 dB Low pass filter that cuts trough butter like a hot knife; love it! very powerfull..

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:58 pm

Angstrom wrote:you have to put it in arrange and then you can set it to Master, you also have to drag it to the length of 'groove' you want.

when th eclip runs out you are suddenly catapulted back to 120 bpm or wherever you came from !

it's cool, though there are issues with Lives tempo delays (glitching on groovey tempo changes)
Hmm.. ok, so you could just copy paste tempo curves from other clips, into the tempo line in the arange if needed? Gues so..

But it would be wicked to be able to jam between diferent tempo signatures! There is a workaround already I think: You can trigger different start points in the aranger, and there you can set loops, so you can trigger different tempos... That would of cource be exclusively session use, and not midi recordable in live...or?

This maybe sounds crazy musicaly, but I do also abstract sound-art. Id like to do trhis!