Quite dissapointed to Sampler

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Parametex

Quite dissapointed to Sampler

Post by Parametex » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:07 pm

Yo,

Don't mean to rain down on parade but I personally feel dissapointed to the new sampler. There is one very simple reason for it.

All the modulation possibilities that the sampler offers are global in a way that they affect to EVERY SINGLE keyzone and sound. Meaning that if you would wish to have multiple drum sounds on different keyzones, all and every sound will be run thru the same AM/FM, pitch envelopes, LFOs, filters and so on and so on.

Its like feeding every single drum sound thru one single effect box! Yawn....

This renders sampler utterly useless in a longer run for drum and beat programming, and no I'm totally not interested in long sweeping selfmodulating la-la....

One last (but slim) hope would be that ableton would make all the modulation parameters unique to each keyzone... I doubt that's gonna happen...

Again, I don't need to buy it do I ,)

Cheers,

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:09 pm

You can stack multiple samplers/simplers/impulses/operators

It might be worth reviewing how you assemble a kit ;)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:09 pm

racks :idea:

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:10 pm

To have an instance of sampler for every single drumsound.....

Thanks but no thanks ,)

P.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:12 pm

He isn't talking about RACKS.

He is addressing the $200 Sampler.

Too bad it works that way. :roll: :roll: :roll:
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:12 pm

hoffman2k wrote:You can stack multiple samplers/simplers/impulses/operators

That doesnt sound like a very elegant solution to me (havent tried beta yet though), im very surprised to hear that its global.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:17 pm

Sampler isn't battery.
It's a hybrid between a synth and a sampler.
It's a totally different instrument.

I guess you'll have to try it to see what the fuzz is about.
If it's not your thing, thats fine.
But don't confuse this instrument with another (which is in essence, a bunch of impulses)

ikke

Post by ikke » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:18 pm

that sucks
you should be able to make split evlocity layers with a multi sampler :?

whats so special about the sampler i wonder? You cant load akai and other patches correctly if there is no amp ADSR and filter parameters for each voice/sample/layer. So the import options become redundant

Parametex, are you sure that there isnt??
Last edited by ikke on Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:19 pm

it's a semi-valid complaint, however i bet you don't need all the capabilities of the sampler for _every_ drum sound...

and i also must say that it seems like having all the parameters operating independently on each sample/zone would lead to just as messy and confusing of a setup as multiple instances of the sampler

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:25 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:You can stack multiple samplers/simplers/impulses/operators

That doesnt sound like a very elegant solution to me (havent tried beta yet though), im very surprised to hear that its global.
It actually is quite simple.

And seeing as Sampler's CPU use is ridiculously low, it's doable.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:28 pm

I'm not really overwhelmed with it myself, sorry!

Am I right in thinking I cant set the loop start to midi or macro control?

seems odd, I know it must be there somewhere - but the 'loop start' controls have no midi function.
one ofmy favourite granular tricks in Simpler is a really short loop and moving the loopstart.

Where is this at in Sampler then?

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:40 pm

Angstrom wrote:I'm not really overwhelmed with it myself, sorry!

seems odd, I know it must be there somewhere - but the 'loop start' controls have no midi function.
one ofmy favourite granular tricks in Simpler is a really short loop and moving the loopstart.

LFO's / Aux Envelope / Mod Matrix can modulate sample start via mod wheel / velocity etc etc .
Oh and every parameter I've seen on the thing so far maps via midi learn to my UC16's also and i mean EVERY parameter including things like crossfade amount , sample start / end , reverse etc etc etc....
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:42 pm

Angstrom wrote:I'm not really overwhelmed with it myself, sorry!

someone sent me this preset. .. i think its got somethin to do wit what you sayin:

http://www.fridge.net.au/live/granular_timestretch.adv

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:47 pm

longjohns wrote:it's a semi-valid complaint, however i bet you don't need all the capabilities of the sampler for _every_ drum sound...
Sure, I might not need everything all the time, but I bet I don't need everything running thru the same parametes either...
longjohns wrote: and i also must say that it seems like having all the parameters operating independently on each sample/zone would lead to just as messy and confusing of a setup as multiple instances of the sampler
To me, running all the sounds thru the same setup is the thing that makes the sounds overly homogenous and messy.

Sampler would have possessed enormous and agile ways of creating interesting drum timbres. I can naturally use battery but without all the modulating capabilities that I was dearly looking forward on sampler,

Cheers,

P.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:51 pm

funny.i was just going to ask how to run different zones through different filters etc.i guess you cant.what a bummer.