How can i set my system up to prelisten to loops?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
toyo

How can i set my system up to prelisten to loops?

Post by toyo » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:02 am

hi,
i've got a Powerbook G4 667mhz and a M-audio MobilePre USB Interface, in my systempreference the mobilepre is selected, and in the LIVE audio-preference too, it tells me i got 2 in and 2 out, but i can't change the out for the prelistening, am i missing something here, do i need another piece of hardware(i.e. mixer), to be able to prelisten to loops on my headphones while the other tracks are playing.
i am about to return the mobilepre anyway, to get the m-audio firewire 410, is it possible to prelisten with that interface?
as you probably can see, i am not a professional, just someone who wants to turn his energy into music(some call it noise).
thanx for your patience and i love this piece of software ( feels good to pay for it too)

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:53 pm

you will need more than 2 outs to pre listen - i don't know about the m-audio f/w 410 but if it has more than 2 outs, fine - just don't get a quattro, they suck......

genshi

Post by genshi » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:17 pm

The thing with a lot of audio cards (and this is true of the Mobile Pre as well as the Firewire 410) is that the headphone out doubles whatever is going out of the main outs, in other words, the headphone out is not assignable.

What you need to do is either use a device that can assign seperate outs to the headphone out (like the echo IndigoDJ) or use one of the main outs if the device has more than two outs like the Firewire 410 (so you would use, for example, out 3 or 4 as the pre-listen while outs 1 and 2 would be the main out).

Hope this helps.