Run Windows XP inside OSX with Parallel

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
davy

Run Windows XP inside OSX with Parallel

Post by davy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:55 pm

Check this out... http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

Virtual machine technique to run XP (and other OS) in OSX. I checked it on my imac 1,83 intel (1 gig ram) and it worked great. I ran Ableton 5 in it with the performance test from the live 5 performance test thread. While running this I went back into osx, checked my mail, surfed the net, did some other stuff and it all just went really smooth.

Best thing... It costs less then 40$... I come from Windows XP world where VMWare costs tons of money. This is awesome.

divi

Post by divi » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:23 pm

cool, that's like VirtualPC enulation on the PowerPC's but now probably 100x faster due to the native intel CPU's. i was already wondering if it would be possible to run OS X and Winbugs at the same time, unlike Bootcamp's dual boot.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:46 pm

what vsts have you hosted this way ?

bonomius

Post by bonomius » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:35 pm

Davy,
did you ran the perf test of live in windows under emulation?
How much was the score? Thanx

Angstrom

Re: Run Windows XP inside OSX with Parallel

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:41 pm

davy wrote:Check this out... http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

Virtual machine technique to run XP (and other OS) in OSX. I checked it on my imac 1,83 intel (1 gig ram) and it worked great. I ran Ableton 5 in it with the performance test from the live 5 performance test thread.

please post your results running XP Live under OSX in the performance thread - I think virtualisation is quite an interesting development while everyone waits for UB.

davy

Post by davy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:54 pm

@bounce... I haven't tried any vsts yet

@bonomius... on my imac 1,83 1 gb ram i run the test in osx with 28%-32% (avg. 30%). with windows xp in vm (parallels) i get 25*38 (av. 32%).

i don't know if i can trust these numbers at all though. in activity monitor i get a more then 100% cpu for the parallels process. but this seems to be a know issue at parallels. i run safari, mail, shrook, itunes (playing) at the same time too. no glitches or so.

the vm is set at 256mb ram.

i haven't tried to connect my usb audio card though.

but nonetheless the only thing i can conclude is that it's a very usable. i have xp running on bootcamp for when i need the best performance. i have parallels now for when i need to do something quick in windows xp (i'm a web developer, so this gives me access to internet explorer).

btw. there's a 30 day trial available on the parallels website.

davy

Post by davy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:55 pm

btw. adobe photoshop, wich is still not available in universal binary, runs way smoother in photoshop in xp on vm then on rosetta in osx. 8)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:55 pm

So using windows xp in this way still uses core audio? or would you use asio drivers with it when using built-in sound on your mac?

Also, if you were surfing the net in OSX, with parallels running, would this make vulnerable to PC viruses?

thanks,

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

robin

Post by robin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:56 pm

Angstrom wrote:
davy wrote:Check this out... http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

Virtual machine technique to run XP (and other OS) in OSX. I checked it on my imac 1,83 intel (1 gig ram) and it worked great. I ran Ableton 5 in it with the performance test from the live 5 performance test thread.

please post your results running XP Live under OSX in the performance thread - I think virtualisation is quite an interesting development while everyone waits for UB.
It'll be even more interesting when virtualisation is supported in the hardware not in a software layer like this (like it was meant to with Yonah). I think Merom (Core 2) might support this, though I'm not sure.

davy

Post by davy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:01 pm

robin wrote: It'll be even more interesting when virtualisation is supported in the hardware not in a software layer like this (like it was meant to with Yonah). I think Merom (Core 2) might support this, though I'm not sure.
It is already with that vtx thing

robin

Post by robin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:11 pm

davy wrote:
robin wrote: It'll be even more interesting when virtualisation is supported in the hardware not in a software layer like this (like it was meant to with Yonah). I think Merom (Core 2) might support this, though I'm not sure.
It is already with that vtx thing
I was sure Intel VT isn't enabled in Core Duo but now I've had a rummage around it seems that's only true for some processors.

Neat.

brainray

Post by brainray » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:36 pm

This is great news!!! Having the abiliy to run Live in the XP environment, while running Logic on MacOS - very cool when editing, putting things together etc.

I'll go and get Parallels right away as it's still 35 Euro in the beta phase (I don't have my Macbook yet)

Cheers

Ray
Sony Vaio A215M PentiumM 1.6 GHz 1GB __ Athlon 64, Asus A8N, 2GB Corsair
Focusrite Saffire, UAD-1, Logic Control

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:56 pm

been using Reaktor inside Windows 2000... works cool.. which i could send it midi though...

would rather have the UB version though..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:10 am

Love it!

I bought it last night after reading this thread and deployed XP Pro.

Been trying out Phatmatik Pro 1.5.1 for Intel Mac for a week now and it's too buggy. But the Windows version doesn't have this problem!
Plus I get to run synths that haven't got an Intel Update yet!

The coolest thing is that by setting the Sound output to Default, it's coming through my M-Audio FW 410.
I even played iTunes on my Mac and Ableton playback on the virtual XP and they both play simultaneously.

It's not meant to give you another computer with its entire raw power - but to use stuff u couldn't use or to use more stable versions rather than the quick releases we're getting on Uni Binary generally full of bugs, it's pretty good.

Kr.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Krugger wrote:Love it!

I bought it last night after reading this thread and deployed XP Pro.

Been trying out Phatmatik Pro 1.5.1 for Intel Mac for a week now and it's too buggy. But the Windows version doesn't have this problem!
Plus I get to run synths that haven't got an Intel Update yet!

The coolest thing is that by setting the Sound output to Default, it's coming through my M-Audio FW 410.
I even played iTunes on my Mac and Ableton playback on the virtual XP and they both play simultaneously.

It's not meant to give you another computer with its entire raw power - but to use stuff u couldn't use or to use more stable versions rather than the quick releases we're getting on Uni Binary generally full of bugs, it's pretty good.

Kr.
That sounds fantastic. So when using ableton in parallels the sound is still driven by core audio? In abelton you can still chose record inputs on your firewire 410?

thanks,

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.