Live/Ultralite problem

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
dockiki

Live/Ultralite problem

Post by dockiki » Sun May 28, 2006 6:54 pm

Hello, I recently acquired a MOTU Ultralite. Everything is working fine so far, but I'm having a little problem.....probably a user error, so if someone could shine some light....

I am simply trying to route a track in Live to outputs 3/4, or any others for that matter besides the Main outs. Ive gone into the Live preferences, checked that all the Ultralite outputs are available to Live. And even in the track "Audio To", where I have chosen outs 3/4, the litttle green meters indicate that the signal is indeed there, but there is no sound.

I have checked my mixer connections, and as a test, set the Ultralite default audio outs to 3/4, opened iTunes, and yes those outputs work fine and the connection to my mixer/monitors is fine. Also, running something thru one of the Ultralite's inputs, and then going to output 3/4 works fine as well. But in Live I'm not getting any sound from 3/4.

any help appreciated, thank you.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon May 29, 2006 6:58 pm

did you check your "cue mix" controll panel application for the ultralite?
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Mika

Post by Mika » Tue May 30, 2006 2:38 am

I think I've read somewhere here that 3/4 in live is 5/6 on the MOTU, or vice versa.

dockiki

Post by dockiki » Tue May 30, 2006 1:11 pm

"did you check your "cue mix" controll panel application for the ultralite?"

yes, everything is fine there......but the cuemix really just controls what is plugged into the ultralite inputs, not what is coming from Live.

"I think I've read somewhere here that 3/4 in live is 5/6 on the MOTU, or vice versa."

Yes, this is true, I just found this out!
I was finally able to route Live clips to the ultralite 3/4 outputs by selecting Live outputs 5/6! Apparently the corresponding outputs in Live to the Ultralite are all off by 2. (5/6=7/8, etc.)
I'm glad I'm finally able to route everything like i want, but can someone explain why they are off by 2?

thank you kindly for the response!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 30, 2006 2:48 pm

Because 1/2 is the phones, so it throws everything off by 2. Weird I know, and it's only Live that has this issue. Took me forever to figure out that 11/12 were the main outs, doh! In SX, Wavelab, and the other apps I have, the outputs are NAMED as well just numbered...

tankista

naming outputs

Post by tankista » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:55 am

Yes, its true, that its a bit strange... Everything works, but its untransparent and uncomfortable. Main outs are 11/12, that means that we must always assign main outs in Life to these instead of default 1/2 when I start new project... It would be nice to have 1/2 as main outs just like the Motu Ultralite works in every other aplication, even in small freeware utilities...

Also naming of these outputs is needed. In every other aplication we can see names like "9/10 Phones Out" or so, but only in Live we have just numbers...

Probably suggestion for improvement in next version of Live for Abletons...!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:21 am

Definitely, very annoying you can't see the names.

mkrec

Post by mkrec » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:19 pm

hello,
same trouble, same resolution. thanks!!!
just have to put cue out and master out in Live on the 11/12
very weird...
motu ultralite - live 5.2.2 - PC